Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Dr. Robert Dunstan

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pandan:

--- Quote from: Galatians522 on February 16, 2022, 10:04:26 PM ---Yes, he is responsible for the Dunstan Citrimelo. I have never heard of the mandarin. He is also in a way responsible for the Southern Home hybrid grape. His "impossible" hybrid material was given to Bob Zehnder who continued the work and eventually gave seed from some of his hybrids to Dr. Mortensen at the University of Florida. Mortensen grew the seed out selfed the best selection and from that seed grew the Southern Home grape which he patented. Neither Zehnder nor Dunstan are ever mentioned in the write up about the grape's development.

--- End quote ---
more on the fella here:
http://floridagrapes.com/dunstan/dunstanbio.html
"They said it couldn’t be done.
But Bob Dunstan did it.
And they began to call him a “Southern Luther Burbank.”
He successfully crossed the sturdy native American Muscadine
(Muscadinia rotundifolia) with the fancy elite European table “bunch” grape
(Vitis vinifera) - to create the basis for a whole new burgeoning grape
agribusiness in Florida, his adopted state."
What an inspiration

BorisR:

--- Quote from: Galatians522 on February 16, 2022, 10:04:26 PM ---I have never heard of the mandarin.
--- End quote ---
It was also interesting to discuss, given that neither "Honey Changsha" nor "Dunstan Honey Orange" have ever been mentioned on this forum.
There is a little mention of Honey Changsha here.
There are eyeckr mentions on the old citrusgrowers. There is a mentions on "Virginia Fruit Grower" YouTube channel.
How did I begin to associate Dunstan Honey Orange and Honey Changsha? Once I asked Tom McClendon on Facebook about the origin of Honey Changsha. He told me that it was probably a cross made by Robert Dunstan between a Changsha and some kind of orange. Then I found this topic, an article by Sherwood Akin where he mentions Dunstan Honey Orange. There were also some mentions. Well, now I assume that these are synonyms. Maybe I was wrong.
Maybe @eyeckr or @citrusman99 or some other forum members will be able to tell us more about this?

citrange:
I have just a small piece of information linking the names Zehnder and Dunstan which I was told about when researching the origins of a citrus tree in the English city of Nottingham. This quote is taken from my website at http://www.homecitrusgrowers.co.uk/citrumelos/citrumelonottingham.html

--- Quote ---However, I did have a lot of citrus seedlings raised from seeds a contact in the USA had sent to me and think this is where the connection comes from. I  received the seeds from a Mr Zehnder who said the parent plant was a citrumelo, not a citrange. He didn’t give me the cultivar name of the parent plant so I initially called the young plants ‘Zehnder Seedlings’ although subsequently he told me that the true name was ‘Dunstan’.
--- End quote ---

eyeckr:
I have grown both Dunstan Honey Orange and Honey Changsha and they are totally different. I am not aware of any other Honey Changsha than the one that I selected and named from a few trees that I grew out locally here in Virginia Beach. In retrospect I wish I had named 'Honey Changsha' something else to lessen confusion with Robert Dunstan's Dunstan Honey Orange. In any case Honey Changsha is much more cold tolerant than DHO and still is growing in my 8a zone even after surviving a single event of at least -16C and many other below freezing temps.

BorisR:
Thank you, eyeckr!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version