Author Topic: Why not selling to California, Alaska and Hawai? Why only contiguous 48 states?  (Read 847 times)

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
This topic is not intended to start controversy.  I'm rather new here.  I have read about why people require mininmum purchase.  I have read about why people won't sell to members that are less than 1 year.  So it is obvious that I would like to know why people exclude California, Alaska and Hawai.

I'm in California. I might know the answers already.  Here are probably the reasons:

California: strict agriculture laws. I know this for sure.

Hawai: strict agriculture laws?

Alaska: long shipping time.  Items die based on duration or cold?

I would like to hear your reasons.  Please, no criticism to those who answer.

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Its possible to ship plants to California but shippers have to be approved to do so. Requires inspection and approval. Most shippers would rather not deal with the hassle so they decide no shipping to certain states.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
You're right on with your analysis. Some people have a pretty sweet side gig / hobby income and it's not worth risking their sales to the other 48 in exchange for a couple CA bucks. If you get tagged by CA for this, there are fines, magnifying glass on your future shipments, etc

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
You're right on with your analysis. Some people have a pretty sweet side gig / hobby income and it's not worth risking their sales to the other 48 in exchange for a couple CA bucks. If you get tagged by CA for this, there are fines, magnifying glass on your future shipments, etc

Yep. I've shipped to California before. A few shipments made it through without issue. One ended up getting confiscated and I received a stern warning letter from California.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Also... According to my State Ag Dept... Cali needs all plants to be inspected for Nematodes.
Involves an inspector... collecting soil samples... and having them lab tested for nematodes.
And paying a small fee of course...

Kevin
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 06:31:50 AM by Kevin Jones »

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
A few years ago, I ordered some plants from Indonesia through Ebay.  A few months after it, USDA showed up, pulled all the plants out and bagged them.  I were warned of fine next time around.  After that, any international shipping to my address were scrutinized for a while, even on items belong to my son.