Author Topic: Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry ???  (Read 11439 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry ???
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2022, 11:45:32 AM »
Thanks.  I am going to try ordering some dried ones and look for a cold hardy type.
The King Shatoot white mulberries are fantastic dried. I don't care much for them fresh
they are too sweet and after a few they are boring. The Tice is the best I have ever eaten.
But the ones I ate were being watered daily. They taste totally different if you water them heavy
while they are fruiting. My mulberries never get watered and are not as plump and juicy.
When the trees get really big they don't need as much water to taste good either. The best
tasting mulberries for me leave your hands purple after you eat a bunch.
One year I had 5 people sample White shatoot, dwarf everbearing, thai dwarf, Shangri La and Pakistan Black
and all 5 people voted Shangri La #1? There is no way the Shangri La can taste the same in Florida
as California?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2022, 12:13:33 PM »
Mike, good to know about the taste of the white pakistan dried, I will definitely be doing that with my fruits. Your white pakistan scionwood I grafted is also nice and large, gives good fruits. I could see how your taste test resulted with the Shangri La being the winner. It has a better sweet and tart taste than the others you had them taste. My Shangri La only tastes good (better than Black Paistan) when it is nice and ripe, if picked to soon it doesn't have the sweet taste. The Tice seems to be consistent in taste, sweet with a little tartness so I will be keeping that one around. I also like the neat color it turns (yellow/red) before it turns all red. Here in CA my Tice tree doesn't get as large or grow vigorous like the Shangri La or the Black Pakistan. I have 3-5 branches of Tice grafted, it may just need another few years before it takes off. I got my scionwood from Frank (FLnative) a few years ago.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2022, 08:38:28 PM »
Your tice turns red?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2022, 01:17:02 AM »
I'll find a few photos of my Tice fruits. The color goes from green/white, then yellow with half red, then when fully ripe it turns dark red or black like the Shangri La fruits.

Here's the photos from last season.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:57:21 AM by sc4001992 »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 04:05:04 AM »
When the white mulberry is fully yellowed, does it have a pina colada flavor?

Trying to ID a variety whose label was lost.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2022, 07:32:21 AM »
Oolie, I couldn't tell you if it tastes like pina colada flavor, someone else might taste it. If your fruit looks like the ones I posted above, then it is probably one of the three I mentioned (White Pakistan, Australian Green, or Saharanpur Local).

Can you take a photo of your white/yellow fruit when it is ripe and post it?

Here's the photo I took last season showing the fruits side by side (no Saharanpur fruits shown).

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2022, 12:12:49 PM »
Wow Kaz, I need to get some Australian green scions from you! I would wager it's an easy graft onto Shatoot white.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2022, 02:47:58 PM »
Kevin,

No, I would not suggest grafting the Australian Green on the White Shatoot tree. It would be better to graft the Australian Green to any of these; Black Pakistan, Thai Dwarf, Shangri La.

It seems to me that the White Pakistan/Shatoot does not like other varieties grafted on it. Send me a PM for more info.

The Shatoot white and Australian Green tastes the same. I do see that I get more fruits (slightly longer) on the Australian Green and it seems to hold the fruits (to full ripeness) better than the White Pakistan/Shatoot. I have all three whites on the same tree so it's easy for me to make these comparisions.

FYI, all 20+ mulberry varieties I have grafted and fruiting are on 3 adult trees in ground which are 10 feet apart so my taste comparison should be a fair one.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:52:59 PM by sc4001992 »

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2022, 09:05:27 PM »
Lovetoplant, I just hear from people who purchased many cuttings of my White Pakistan cuttings that their grafts did not take. It is one of the more difficult/touchy one of the mulberries to graft. I'm pretty sure if you had a fresh one (like graft it on the day it was cut) it will do better. I try many grafts myself to make sure it will graft ok. I did more than 20 grafts from my large tree and grafted to some rooted cuttings (Shangri La and Black Pakistan) and only got like 6 grafts to take and grow fine. You can use any graft method, some people like the whip & tongue because it has the most contact of the cambium, I just use same size rootstock to scion and use cleft graft.

So, because the White Pakistan (at least the one I have which is on the dwarf growth habit) is so difficult to graft if it is not immediately grafted on the same day, I stopped selling cuttings since the people who buy them will be disappointed even if I give them plenty extras.

In the future, I think I have a source for some good rootstock so I will buy more and graft the difficult ones like the White Pakistan and my rare Sangue e Latte and sell the grafted plants to share with our members here.

In fact, once my Sangue e Latte branches grow a little more this year, I will try to have another contest for a Free Grafted plant. This will be at the end of summer.

Sorry for the long winded reply to a simple question.

Very informative.  I appreciate that you went thru all the details. 

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2022, 04:22:24 PM »

Here's my whiteshatoot that was grown from a cutting
For a reference there is a small 2' chang mai 60 mulberry growing in the left front corner

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2022, 05:14:39 PM »
The Tice seems to be consistent in taste, sweet with a little tartness so I will be keeping that one around. I also like the neat color it turns (yellow/red) before it turns all red. Here in CA my Tice tree doesn't get as large or grow vigorous like the Shangri La or the Black Pakistan. I have 3-5 branches of Tice grafted, it may just need another few years before it takes off. I got my scionwood from Frank (FLnative) a few years ago.

Over 15 years ago the name tag from WPB Plant sale in Dreyer Park said East Coast Mulberry... lol....

It looks like Tice & Grows fast/easy here in Florida.

I like eating them first picking solid black very sweet (fully ripe). After about a hour, I switch to red (not quite fully ripe). The reds give a tart taste... A little later I'll usually get 1/2 mouth full of reds with the blacks etc. etc. etc... Two different taste profiles are easily obtained with the Tice mulberry at varying ripeness...

I have eaten some of the black pakistan at Mikes Trees & More and could not tell much of a difference in this black vs. Tice black. I did not eat enough to want to switch to under ripe black pakistan so I have no idea if tart or not.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 05:16:36 PM by palmcity »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2022, 02:50:21 PM »
Not sure what kind this one is, but it's been my favorite out of the ones I've tried (unknown ones, Dwarf Everbearing, Dwarf Thai). The tree was on the edge of a vacant lot in Spring Hill, FL, zone 9a. The fruit was sweet, juicy, and stained my hands.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2022, 06:22:12 PM »
The fruit looks small, it might be a persian mulberry which I hear is one of the best tasting (m. nigra). My shangri la fruits are sometimes small like that, but more like 1-1/2" long and a little fatter fruit.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2022, 08:05:00 PM »
Not sure what kind this one is, but it's been my favorite out of the ones I've tried (unknown ones, Dwarf Everbearing, Dwarf Thai). The tree was on the edge of a vacant lot in Spring Hill, FL, zone 9a. The fruit was sweet, juicy, and stained my hands.

Looks like dwarf or "world's best". I would say dwarf.

Deanhooper

• Boynton Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2022, 11:41:05 PM »
I really like my Thai dwarf, but can’t keep the iguanas and other things from eating the leaves!

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2022, 08:42:20 PM »
I have pillaged all the trees at Fruit and Spice And I Vote “Pakistaní” the black variety.

It’s by far my favorite for years running but I’ve only tasted them in that particular geographic location…

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2022, 12:41:28 AM »
Honest Abe, I like the Black Pakistan also, but have you tried the Australian Green or White Pakistan mulberry, it is much sweeter with no tartness.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2022, 08:26:03 PM »
I walked around about 15 Tice Mulberry trees picking some of the new fruit this year. The first week seemed to come later than prior years but I did not recheck dates. I thought it was normally from end of March to end of May here in S. Fl. but maybe I forgot...

Back to Topic: Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry???........... If your really looking for that best tasting mulberry, Skip the first 2 weeks of picking... Why? It's similar to the start of mango season & many other fruits as the tree is rapidly growing initially putting out new leaves and fruit while depleting stored up sugars.... Thus the fruit is NOT as good tasting the first 2 weeks IMO.

IMO for your search for the Best, look for the smaller trees and avoid the huge trees with layers of limbs where the sun does not hit the lower branches much if at all. These lower and shaded middle limbs usually have bland insipid fruit... I usually go to the trees less than 12 ft high with plenty of sun hitting the leaves & fruit for the best tasting mulberries.

So, during my walk I sampled over 40 mulberries. IMO about 35 were insipid and not the best tasting Tice can be. Only about 5 seemed close to prior years quality mid season... But every day should be better... Until the last few weeks of mulberry season... Why??? The worms overtake the fruit faster than we can harvest it. You might not experience this with only a tree or two... Just a few FYI's.... lol

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2022, 09:03:46 PM »
palmcity, you make some good pointers on when and where to pick the fruits from the tree. I should thin out some of my branches since some fruits are hidden in between branches so it may not taste as sweet as the ones with more direct sunlight. I don't think I have seen any worms in my mulberry fruits here.

I did notice the Thai Dwarf fruits are bland early but at the end of the fruit season it does get a little sweeter.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2022, 12:03:17 AM »
Middle eastern grocery sells them in the town near here.  If they are for sale in a store it will be dried mulberry.  I could dry some and send them if you really want to try it. 

I see amazon sells dried ones also. 

Heres some pics of a couple young trees.  This one is the white pakistan tree kaz grafted and sent me a few years ago.  It has a lot of fruit for a tiny tree.  My kids love going to pick them.

This one is the red himalayan and I have a few otjer types grafted on it also.

Brad is the red one the Red Himalayan? Did you pick them early? Mine gets dark almost like black Pakistan if I leave them on the tree longer.

I like Black Pakistan, RH, and the Australian green. Waiting for persian black to ripen. PB is a very slow grower for me with very short internode distance. Seems to be a good tree for pots.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2022, 12:10:38 AM »
Ken, are you sure you have a persian mulberry? I got some cuttings a little over a year ago and the grafted branches are huge, grows fast like the Red Himalayan. I do see the leaf nodes are much closer than the Black Pakistan as well. I hope my grafted branches get some fruits this season so I can taste the fruits.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2022, 12:35:39 AM »
I got my cuttings from Oolie and also from CRFG. Both looked the same to me. I grafted them to 4 different multigrafted trees. They cannot compete against other varieties so I had to remove other varieties on one tree
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 01:16:48 AM by beicadad »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2022, 12:52:55 AM »
I'll take some photos of my Persian mulberry that is grafted on my Black Pakistan (large adult trees) and post it tomorrow. My scionwood was from a person who has been growing his mulberry for a while now, he lives in San Diego. He said the Persian mulberry tastes the best to him.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2022, 11:22:32 PM »
My son ate so many mulberries the other day he got sick to his stomach, and has had cramps and been on the toilet a bunch for several days.  He was feeling dizzy and had a headache and cramps like when we had covid, i thought he was getting covid again.  But then it turned into several days of stomach cramps.

I looked it up, they have pectin and sap latex that upsets some peoples systems and can also mess with your blood surgar.  Just an fyi for others out there, use in moderation. 

My chickens are going to town on them too, they jump in the trees to get them.  Hopefully it doesnt mess them up because I put 8 mulberry trees in their area. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 11:28:22 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

cotter pin

• Charlotte County, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2022, 11:12:11 AM »
 I have 10 Noir of Spain (M. Nigra)  that I started from seed last year they are currently in 3 gallon pots. They seem to be slow growing, they get watered often and I keep them in my pool area because when they were under my oak tree seems the squirrels and rabbits would just bite the trunk in half. I'm hoping to get fruits eventually. The mix I used to pot them in is 50% compost with biochar and 50% peat moss with a little  bit of perlite. My everbearing cuttings have far surpassed the M. Nigra as they are already in the ground and fruiting.
 I do have a Tice we recently purchased and am hoping to get fruits on it soon and still waiting on our white and red Pakistani's to fruit.   
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:47:58 PM by cotter pin »