Author Topic: Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry ???  (Read 11441 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry ???
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2022, 02:59:22 PM »
Deanhooper, if you like Thai Dwarf, here's some photos of my Thai Dwarf tree I took today, it has lots and lots and lots of fruits. So many fruits that it is hard to keep up with picking the ripe fruits to give away to the neighbors.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2022, 03:08:43 PM »
cotter pin, I'm surprised to hear you are growing the Noir of Spain from seeds. You must have a lot of patience to try to grow out the seeds and wait for it to fruit.

Isn't it much easier to just graft a cutting, then you will have fruits in 2 years. How old is your white pakistan and red himalayan tree/plant? If your everbearing tree is large enough you should graft a few white pakistan and red himalayan scionwood that was cut from a fruiting tree. If you don't know if your trees have fruited before, send me a PM and I have large fruiting white pakistan and red himalayan trees and I will give you a good deal for some cuttings.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2022, 04:43:47 PM »
Wow, Kaz, that's amazing.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2022, 04:55:20 PM »
Yup, I agree with you. It was like that last year, and the Thai Dwarf keeps fruiting tons for 4-5 weeks. I gave up picking them last year after getting 3lbs of fruits each day. All the neighbors got tired of the fruits.

This year, I am giving away (Free Thai cuttings) scion wood in another fruit forum so I will be cutting most of the branches off this tree as the fruits complete.

cotter pin

• Charlotte County, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2022, 05:24:52 PM »
cotter pin, I'm surprised to hear you are growing the Noir of Spain from seeds. You must have a lot of patience to try to grow out the seeds and wait for it to fruit.

Isn't it much easier to just graft a cutting, then you will have fruits in 2 years. How old is your white pakistan and red himalayan tree/plant? If your everbearing tree is large enough you should graft a few white pakistan and red himalayan scionwood that was cut from a fruiting tree. If you don't know if your trees have fruited before, send me a PM and I have large fruiting white pakistan and red himalayan trees and I will give you a good deal for some cuttings.

When I purchased the seeds at a seed exchange, I was thinking 5 years to fruit, but the more I read into them, I now know they they may take up to 10 years. They are still too small to use as a scion/bud wood for grafting at this point. I purchased the red Pakistan about a year ago it was about 5' tall in a 3 gallon pot and put it into the ground right after I purchased it and it is about 8-9' tall now. And, the white Pakistani and Tice I just purchased and put into the ground about 3 months ago. I have actually eaten fruits of of the Tice, only a few... but it's pushing fruits.
  I do not know much about grafting mulberries at this point, but if I need some cuttings I will defiantly be in touch with you. Those Thai Dwarf's are off the chain crazy with production! Looking good! 

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2022, 05:39:27 PM »
My son ate so many mulberries the other day he got sick to his stomach, and has had cramps and been on the toilet a bunch for several days.  He was feeling dizzy and had a headache and cramps like when we had covid, i thought he was getting covid again.  But then it turned into several days of stomach cramps.
Sorry to hear of the mulberry overdosing.

Typical problems that our families/friends have experienced::: Loose stools with some having diarrhea like, Great fear when people see their stool go from brown to black fearing bleeding. The mulberry if black Tice definitely turns the stool black so don't worry as no increase chance of bleeding as far as I know. High levels of sugars causing cramping but none of us are known diabetic and diabetics should eat small amounts of fruit while checking glucose levels.

I usually tell people if you've been constipated and want plant ruffage (probably can skip your metamucil )::: Eat the stems & fruit of the mulberry. If your normal and don't want to have diarrhea, eat small amounts or avoid the extra ruffage of the stems if possible. 

I guess if you juice and strain them and let the kids have the juice like grape juice it might be easier to monitor amount consumed and eliminating the extra stem ruffage.... Blood glucose testing machines are easy to use and years ago (last checked by me) they are very quick and relatively easy to use to get immediate and morning blood glucose levels.  (I believe too high or too low glucose levels might increase chance of headache... But many other things also might increase odds of a headache... Drink plenty of water as the kidneys are great filters  when supplied ample water and regulate electrolytes etc very efficiently...

If you give your family vitamins/minerals etc., you might consider increasing calcium supplementation as the side effect is often constipation.... This might help with the diarrhea safely if following normal maximum daily allowances or more if prescriber allows...

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 06:11:39 PM by palmcity »

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2022, 06:14:04 PM »
Deanhooper, if you like Thai Dwarf, here's some photos of my Thai Dwarf tree I took today, it has lots and lots and lots of fruits. So many fruits that it is hard to keep up with picking the ripe fruits to give away to the neighbors.

How dwarf is Thai Dwarf really? worth using as root stock to keep tree smaller? I am thinking Red/Black Pakistani if it does keep it somewhat smaller.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2022, 07:36:31 PM »
Brad, I'm sorry to hear about your kids getting sick from eating to much mulberries.
Hope they get well soon.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2022, 07:40:55 PM »
cotter pin, if you don't know how to graft yet, you can root the following mulberry varieties pretty easily:

- Thai Dwarf
- Black Pakistan
- Shangri La

If you want to try rooting some Thai Dwarf, I will send you some cuttings, you just pay for the shipping cost ($10-$12) depending on the size of the box I use to ship it priority mail.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2022, 07:53:56 PM »
ManVFruit, to answer your question, look at the branches on my grafted tree. All those Thai Dwarf are grafted on a Shangri La tree that is in-ground (10-15yrs). The grafted branches shown in the photo of the Thai Dwarf is about the size the Thai Dwarf trunk would be in 2 years if it was a rooted plant. This Thai Dwarf has been grafted a little over 2 yrs ago. It doesn't seem to get a fat a trunk as the Black Pakistan, Shangri La types. The leaf nodes of the Thai Dwarf are closer together as you can see in the photo, but each branch still gets very long, about 10 ft in one year.

I'm planning to grow out some dwarf mulberry cuttings to do my grafting for a smaller tree with multi-grafted mulberries that tastes excellent. So far I hear the only real good dwarf mulberry (size wise) is the Dwarf Girardi mulberry. So I got some cuttings from a friend here on the forum and grafted it up. Once it grows out, I will start rooting some cuttings to use as rootstock.

I also notice that certain White Pakistan mulberry varieties grow slow, has many side branches like hands that do not continue to grow longer. This white pakistan tree does grow smaller/dwarf and it could be kept in a pot and still have fruits. I also have an unknown rootstock on one of my Black Pakistan which seems to keep the grafted tree smaller/compact like to 6-7 ft even after 5 years. I'll post a few photos later of my compact growing white pakistan and black pakistan.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2022, 10:50:06 PM »
Wanted to wait a bit for our mulberries to ripen before chiming in but I am lucky to have my home in a natural mulberry grove but think the person who originally owned the home was into mulberries

We have 3 pretty distinct significant trees and about a million seedlings if someone ever wants rootstock-

I don't have varieties on any of these but if someone thinks they can tag them that would be great-

First is the monster, more than 30 feet tall, mostly red and black fruit but some albino and some with the "sangue e latte" look-
Just tasted the first one off this today but didn't get a pic

Second has a very distinct leaf, juicy fruits, our neighbor always trims it at the fence line but it is a heavy producer

Finally is a similar leaf structure to the first one but the fruit have very few segments and are very large and juicy, I will take lots of pics of the fruit on this one as it ripens-

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2022, 12:07:02 AM »
Brad, I'm sorry to hear about your kids getting sick from eating to much mulberries.
Hope they get well soon.

only one of them gets sick. its happened a few times.  i think he just eats way too many.  but it screws him up for several days at a time. 
Brad Spaugh

cotter pin

• Charlotte County, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2022, 05:47:04 PM »
cotter pin, if you don't know how to graft yet, you can root the following mulberry varieties pretty easily:

- Thai Dwarf
- Black Pakistan
- Shangri La

If you want to try rooting some Thai Dwarf, I will send you some cuttings, you just pay for the shipping cost ($10-$12) depending on the size of the box I use to ship it priority mail.
  For sure, let me know the best way to contact you. Thank you.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2022, 06:16:31 PM »
send me a PM message..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 02:08:32 PM by sc4001992 »

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2022, 06:27:08 AM »
Hi Kaz,
Beautiful photos of those Thai Dwarf Mulberries!
Amazingly productive...
Doesn't hurt living in paradise does it?!

Kevin

« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 07:19:12 AM by Kevin Jones »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2022, 10:19:25 AM »
Surprisingly, Thai dwarf berries have been beating FL everbearing over the last week. I like TD when its partly to mostly black, but still has red in it. Good balance of sweet and tart. Seems to be getting better with age, and me knowing when to pick.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2022, 08:54:11 PM »
I finally bought some dried (white) mulberries.  They taste exactly like raisins to me, though the texture is better.  I'll have to keep an eye out for fresh ones.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2022, 03:28:39 PM »
Left is red Himalayan, middle is Australian green and right is the LE Cooke’s select black Pakistan.

They are all tasty. I like the BP the best, then RH and the AG. But my wife prefer the AG the best, followed by BP and RH. They are all worth growing.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2022, 04:54:50 PM »
Wow Kaz, that is the biggest fruit set I've every seen on Mulberry amazing 8)

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2022, 06:37:49 PM »
 dried mulberries: dutkurusugil
I finally bought some dried (white) mulberries.  They taste exactly like raisins to me, though the texture is better.  I'll have to keep an eye out for fresh ones.

Brian I want to try Mulberry Molasses
(link below -- But I hope I can find it in it's dried state like link explains or make my own ,
but a bottle of syrup is $40 for 300 gram, but not dried 
(also link explains sieved seeds so kind of  conflicting information as in prepared crunchy, but want to prepare like picture of fruit paste )

These are made from the crunchy ones for texture , and the molasses dried I think it sound good.

I found a tree that drops fruit , and all of them dried on the ground I want to see if it happens again to get it
besides I did gather the seeds in dried fruit , and it appeared to fruit later extending the growing season

we also In Illinois had a dry summer (lowest river speed ever recorded ) but no other tree's I saw Dried like that

if this is a extremely dry kind could be very healthy
I also think these could be ground into flour  for the oils in the seeds (some Middle east countries do that)

Also good for Non Staining side walk if they dry like that , (but first year of observing the tree, and was on blacktop_)

https://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/en/ark-of-taste-slow-food/ein-mulberry-molasses/

Before all that work to see if I like
I hope to try these with Hazelnuts  for about $20 for a little over a pound  (or 500 grams )

SC400 o1
In my alley I have a white Mulberry hybrid that is a heavy bearer like that Thai Dwarf
(I call truck since a nice expensive truck is always parked under it while fruits , and gets covered
DO you have any pollen to offer -- last year I went to fruit, and spice park for pollen, but need to be more organized with luggage ?)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 06:41:45 PM by Francis_Eric »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2022, 07:21:16 PM »
Thanks Robert, yes it has so many fruits, I need to constantly rake up the dropped fruits everyday. I try to give it to anyone that passes by my yard.

Ken, nice fruits. I agree that when the Black Pakistan is fully ripe like your photos show, it is very good. My Red Himalayan graft must need to be older (maybe 3-4yrs) before I get the fuller size fruits as you have. My RH fruits were still skinny and long and did not have much flesh to eat.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2022, 04:19:02 PM »
Kaz i think the RH we have is different from one or more other cuttings other people are growing.  Mine are not that big either but it seems to have the best flavor.  We all like it better than the other types.  I got the other red himalayan from Janet/Marta growing now but its still super small. 

I noticed the birds like mulberries and leave the peaches and cherries alone.  Its perfect, theres still more mulberry than we can use.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 04:20:36 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2022, 12:59:23 AM »
Kevin, yes it's nice to live in SoCal, everything grows well here for me, loquats, mulberries, citrus, lychee, longans. persimmons, everything I like to eat. Now if I can get some mangos trees to grow in ground and have fruits that would be great.

Brad, yes you are correct, it looks like the Red Himalayan fruits are not as fat as Ken's or others who show it. I also have Marta's DMOR9 grafted so next year it would be interesting to compare fruit size and taste. Her Australian Green, White Pakistan, and Saharanpur Local already had fruits and they seem to all be the same type of fruits. I like my Australian Green fruits more since it has more fruits, seems to be longer, and still tastes very sweet/honey.

MarkTembo

• Uganda/Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2022, 07:26:54 AM »
Hey!

Do you know which varieties would do well in tropical climates like we have here in Uganda and are worth it (besides the Thai varieties)?

I am growing some unknown varieties but none of them come even close to the ones I have tried before.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2022, 10:32:18 AM »
Kaz i think the RH we have is different from one or more other cuttings other people are growing.  Mine are not that big either but it seems to have the best flavor.  We all like it better than the other types.  I got the other red himalayan from Janet/Marta growing now but its still super small. 

I noticed the birds like mulberries and leave the peaches and cherries alone.  Its perfect, theres still more mulberry than we can use.

Brad, the tree I gave you, Himalayan DMOR9, is grafted on rootstock I got from Burnt Ridge nursery.  I grafted two for myself, one on the same nursery rootstock and one on a rooted Black Pakistan cutting.  The one on Black Pakistan is already 5 feet tall after just a year of growth, while the other one is still really small, so maybe graft onto a more vigorous tree.  I tried an underripe fallen fruit that had barely colored up and it was surprisingly really sweet. 

I’m trialing several other varieties I’m excited about, so still to be seen which is the best.  I’ve found that there are a lot of mislabeled varieties out there being sold by nurseries which also makes it challenging when you think you have a certain cultivar.

Janet