Author Topic: June FL Trip  (Read 3749 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
June FL Trip
« on: April 22, 2022, 01:33:54 PM »
I am looking at flying out to Miami in June or July for mango season and to visit some farms or homes out that way. Are there any must hits? Anyone out there that may want to show me their collection? The fruit community has been amazing and hopefully there are some people around that have suggestions.

Of course, really want to check out Zill's and hopefully they will have mangoes for sale at that time but that's about the limit of my knowledge of that area.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: June FL Trip
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 03:03:03 PM »
It's a great place. I was able to see a few members out there and their collections were amazing. If not for you members there, I wouldn't have been able to try a lot of fruits.
Check out the fruit and spice park. Tropical Acres Farms for mangoes. Lara Farms is good for tree shopping. If you're around Homestead there are a lot of nurseries and fruit stands along the roads.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 05:43:44 PM »
Your welcome to stop by my place. I should have plenty.
Trying to taste all the varieties at their prime is pretty hard to do even living down here.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 08:28:04 PM by skhan »

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 07:14:17 PM »
Chief.. I am aiming to do similar, I hear end of july is peak for mango season

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 08:22:34 PM »
The last few years mangos have been peaking around the beginning of July, if I'm not mistaken.  (Alex or anybody else, care to comment?)  This may not be a banner year, but still enough available.  My trees are babies, just went in the ground, but I'm seeing a light crop on others' trees.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 08:26:16 PM by johnb51 »
John

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 10:23:48 PM »
The last few years mangos have been peaking around the beginning of July, if I'm not mistaken.  (Alex or anybody else, care to comment?)  This may not be a banner year, but still enough available.  My trees are babies, just went in the ground, but I'm seeing a light crop on others' trees.
I went down late July last year and was able to try around 30 varieties of mangoes. But it all depends on season. I think there would have been more selections if I went earlier.

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 11:24:34 PM »
End of July is starting to be too late IMO. A lot of varieties ripen Late june - Early July. I plan on going in early July again this year. Last year I put 50lbs in a duffel bag and wrapped some clothes around them. Also the end of May is Lychee season for anyone wondering.

best regards

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 12:00:47 AM »
Your welcome to stop by my place. I should have plenty.
Trying to taste all the varieties at their prime is pretty hard to do even living down here.
Ok, good to know, my friend! ;) (I should have some PPK for you, but no lychees.)
John

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 05:32:11 PM »
I went down late July last year and was able to try around 30 varieties of mangoes. But it all depends on season. I think there would have been more selections if I went earlier.

Where all did you go to try that many ? I am planning to visit sometime this season too, will be a first for me and I definitely was planning on stopping at tropical acres. Any other suggestions?

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 06:55:01 PM »
We went late June last year and over 10 days, ate 80 mangos, 46 varieties, although we didn't get to score the newer ones that I was most interested in.  Our first time for south florida and for most of these mangos.

Walter's was our first stop.  Ended up our favorite stop, and also yielding the most varieties overall.  Great people!
Tropical Acres was good, but I wasn't a fan of the black friday atmosphere.  Would definitely rather pre-order for pickup next time, but oh those Edwards!
Check out Hidden Acres.  We went after lotto hours, so missed out on a lot of stuff, but got to chat without the crowds and scored some other stuff.
Truly Tropical was only doing the van at the gate, but scored a bag of Sweet Tarts.
Didn't make it to Zill's or Mango Men due to scheduling (rest of family wanted to do other stuff for vacation other than looking for fruit)
Excalibur and Fruit & Spice Park (go early!) yielded a couple of other varieties.
Would skip Serendib and Robert Is Here next time.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 11:58:27 AM »
There's useful information at the beginning of this video about the South Florida mango crop if you're thinking of coming this year to eat mangoes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtYPnyszllE
And here's the situation in West Palm Beach:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmOIhVaSSeU
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 08:54:59 PM by johnb51 »
John

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 02:31:39 PM »
I have pushed this trip back into July, from the 7th to the 10th landing in Miami. I hope to hit the Fairchild Mango Festival, Fruit and Spice Park, and a few backyards if others are willing! Really looking forward to it. My first trip to FL.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 08:16:50 PM »
We have been in Florida on vacation for two weeks, and just did our plant shopping today.
Flying home tomorrow.
Had to buy a thrift store suitcase to check all our possessions so we can get the darned trees in our carry-ons!
I do love Robert Is Here, just for the ambiance.  Plus, the exotic fruit milkshakes keep my hubby happy while our rental car veers into every nursery within twenty miles of Homestead...

Carolyn

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 11:04:21 AM »
We really enjoyed Kampong , would highly recommend booking a 2 hour self guided tour in advance.
Lots of cool 100 year old fruit tree’s planted at Fairchilds former residence , 8 acre on the bay in coral gables.

I have pushed this trip back into July, from the 7th to the 10th landing in Miami. I hope to hit the Fairchild Mango Festival, Fruit and Spice Park, and a few backyards if others are willing! Really looking forward to it. My first trip to FL.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 02:42:55 PM »
The Kampong is a beautiful place.  Another place I'd like to visit is Montgomery Botanical Center.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:14:57 PM by johnb51 »
John

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 09:28:33 AM »
Definitely Alex at: https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/
Truly Tropical: https://www.themangoplace.com/
Fruit and Spice Park in the Redlands: https://redlandfruitandspice.com/
Several good nurseries in the area like Al's fruit trees, Pine Island nursery, Lyon's, Spyke's grove, D's,

Check their webpages as some places hold short and unusual hours.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 12:53:27 PM »
Montgomery was really impressive, and my Palm knowledge is minimal.
Had a great tour with a Palm explorer that had been all over looking for rare palms.
The mango station in Coral Gables should open up during mango season for tours as well.
Help with funding or something.

The Kampong is a beautiful place.  Another place I'd like to visit is Montgomery Botanical Center.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 01:00:22 PM »
Visit wonderfruit with a sized box and send yourself a Luc’s Garcinia.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 01:34:04 PM »
Visit wonderfruit with a sized box and send yourself a Luc’s Garcinia.

Was that the person who posted something like 900 Luc's for sale on here in a bulk deal? I would love to send or carry plants back home, does anyone have advice on what they did?

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2022, 02:35:01 PM »
Had a great tour with a Palm explorer that had been all over looking for rare palms.
The mango station in Coral Gables should open up during mango season for tours as well.

What is the mango station in Coral Gables?
I'm not far from Coral Gables and never heard of it, and search comes up empty.
You talking about the USDA research center?  I don't think just anybody can get a tour, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02:38:18 PM by dm »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2022, 04:01:26 PM »

Wow!  You got around.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 10:09:41 PM by johnb51 »
John

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2022, 06:01:54 PM »
Get a 12x12x48 box. Bring some tape so it move around, cover top of pot with paper and tape so not to lose soil.  Gently drop into box without breaking branches. Reinforce corners so not to crushbox. Check in with luggage. Consult with wonderfruit on how tall plant with pot, just in case it needs to be bigger that 48 inches. Luck.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2022, 12:13:30 PM »
Exactly, the USDA research station in Coral Cables should be sometimes open and available to the public , and mango season would be a great time to do it and make some money on fruit/scions/tours .
They have had issues with lack of funding and the land is worth many millions so the concern is the research station could be sold to land developers at some point and all the Mango’s cut down.

What is the mango station in Coral Gables?
I'm not far from Coral Gables and never heard of it, and search comes up empty.
You talking about the USDA research center?  I don't think just anybody can get a tour, but I could be wrong.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2022, 12:55:08 PM »
Get a 12x12x48 box. Bring some tape so it move around, cover top of pot with paper and tape so not to lose soil.  Gently drop into box without breaking branches. Reinforce corners so not to crushbox. Check in with luggage. Consult with wonderfruit on how tall plant with pot, just in case it needs to be bigger that 48 inches. Luck.

Is Wonderfruit a nursery or location? I tried messaging the user on here and no response.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2022, 01:23:51 PM »

Is Wonderfruit a nursery or location? I tried messaging the user on here and no response.
Wonderfruit is a collector down in South FL. Really nice guy. Should check him out.