Author Topic: Smudge pots?  (Read 766 times)

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Smudge pots?
« on: April 29, 2022, 11:17:25 AM »
I went on a citrus buying spree in zone 8B . Got trees through this last winter but only got to 21 degrees so nothing horrible but epic freezes are a regular occurrence in 8B. So I know about old Christmas lights (where to get those?), frost fabric...but now I’m thinking smudge pots as a great backup in case power goes out....anyone have experience with these? How far do you keep them from trees?

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Smudge pots?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 01:51:52 PM »

I think  I saw them at the C&M nursery in Nipomo, CA from the freeway.  Anyways,  they are probably going to be  relics with smog issues. They are also "hot" items too url=https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/02/21/police-accuse-california-man-of-stealing-citrus-tree-heaters/

I see more wind machines in orchards these days, but caution is advised!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fresnobee.com/news/local/article224209950.html

I would if a patio propane heater work for smaller home orchards? Plug in box fans to keep frost from landing?

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 11:11:00 PM »
We have 5 trees, and always have freeze issues. The worst is when we get a hard freeze in early match with blossoms and new tender growth. I thought about a smudge pot, but they are pricey. We ran the sprinkler and covered the trees with ice. It was a scary sight to see all the ice, but there was only about 5% damage.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 11:48:41 PM »
They are indeed relics but some of the new ones can apparently run on anything from diesel to vegetable oil.

I talked to a gentleman with a mango orchard and he tested the sprinklers vs the smudge pots and he said the smudge pots protected his trees better. Didn’t have time for specifics with what he did.