Author Topic: Mango leaves drying and crisp after planting  (Read 1060 times)

samerd

• Orlando Fl 9B
    • View Profile
Mango leaves drying and crisp after planting
« on: April 27, 2022, 01:35:37 PM »
I recently planted a few Mangoes and for some reason my Orange Sherbet is the only one that started to get dried out crisp and folded leaves. I watered it plenty too. So, I decided to replant a few feet away because there were a lot of fertilizer granules in the hole (from the pot). But any idea what this could be? There’s a before and after of the tree, really hoping it makes it

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango leaves drying and crisp after planting
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 01:57:51 PM »
That's going to be very hard to save, IMO. If there are any healthy leaves left on it, I'd trim everything (branches, leaves, everything) off but those. I'd only leave a few leaves on one branch and remove the rest. The new/green branches are shriveled and look dehydrated, the root system is either very sick or already dead.

Did you put any compost or decaying matter in the soil you planted it in? Lots of wood chips in the pics, did those get mixed into the soil when you planted? What's the drainage like, does the ground hold a lot of water (doesn't look like it)? Did you bare root the tree (strip all the container soil from the roots) when you planted it?

samerd

• Orlando Fl 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »
I didn’t bareroot, but the ball was a lot smaller than the pot. A lot of the granules fell in the hole but besides that it was just native sandy soil and dirt from the pot (which might’ve had wood ships). But the wood on top is from outside mulch, I didn’t put any in the hole.

That's going to be very hard to save, IMO. If there are any healthy leaves left on it, I'd trim everything (branches, leaves, everything) off but those. I'd only leave a few leaves on one branch and remove the rest. The new/green branches are shriveled and look dehydrated, the root system is either very sick or already dead.

Did you put any compost or decaying matter in the soil you planted it in? Lots of wood chips in the pics, did those get mixed into the soil when you planted? What's the drainage like, does the ground hold a lot of water (doesn't look like it)? Did you bare root the tree (strip all the container soil from the roots) when you planted it?

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 03:17:44 PM »
Maybe you had a large air-pocket or something, hard to say. I just had a potted tree do something similar over the winter, leaves looked very much like yours. It wasn't getting watered was the issue, once I fixed that it slowly came back.

samerd

• Orlando Fl 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 03:50:54 PM »
Maybe, but I used Jet mode on my hose to get rid of those so I wouldn’t think. But I trimmed some branches and a lot of leaves, replanted, and watered thoroughly so definitely shouldn’t be air pockets now. Hoping it makes it!

Maybe you had a large air-pocket or something, hard to say. I just had a potted tree do something similar over the winter, leaves looked very much like yours. It wasn't getting watered was the issue, once I fixed that it slowly came back.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 04:27:51 PM »
I would shade it until the branch(es) lose that wrinkled appearance.

Good luck!

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 06:30:47 PM »
Leave it alone and see how it looks mid rainy season. Fertilizer granules from the nursery container it came in wouldn't have hurt the tree, I wouldn't have dug it up and replanted because of that. Will probably look fine once you start getting some consistent rains. Orange sherbet is a great mango.

samerd

• Orlando Fl 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 06:47:19 PM »
If the rest of the leaves fall off, should I just rely on the scratch test? Yea I was looking forward to Orange Sherbet so I’ll be pretty sad if it doesn’t make it.

Leave it alone and see how it looks mid rainy season. Fertilizer granules from the nursery container it came in wouldn't have hurt the tree, I wouldn't have dug it up and replanted because of that. Will probably look fine once you start getting some consistent rains. Orange sherbet is a great mango.

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 08:33:38 PM »
Looks like sun damage to me, honestly it needs an umbrella. Or something similar. It may make it regardless, mangos are one of the easiest trees to grow. Don't dump any chemicals of any kind as hard as that may be to resist.

samerd

• Orlando Fl 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 09:23:01 PM »
Haha nah I fertilize organically, but I won’t do anything to it besides give it shade until I see growth hopefully. I already replanted it a couple feet away so I hope that didn’t make it worse. But I’ll protect from sun until it’s in shape

Looks like sun damage to me, honestly it needs an umbrella. Or something similar. It may make it regardless, mangos are one of the easiest trees to grow. Don't dump any chemicals of any kind as hard as that may be to resist.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 08:19:21 AM »
I agree on shading, but I don't think sun caused this issue. The withering in the cropped photo is dehydration (in my experience), which is a below-ground problem.  Whatever the issue, it's probably been going on for at least several weeks, I don't see any unaffected leaves in the photos.

I would be more urgent with triage, but I'm no expert. If you want some much wiser eyes to review your situation, post these photos in the Mango Pests, Diseases & Nutritional Problems thread here: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1001.2200

samerd

• Orlando Fl 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 10:11:46 AM »
I sent my post there, thanks! But I can say that I left it in the pot without water for about a week and half besides rain one time. But I definitely watered it real well in the ground so it’s strange

I agree on shading, but I don't think sun caused this issue. The withering in the cropped photo is dehydration (in my experience), which is a below-ground problem.  Whatever the issue, it's probably been going on for at least several weeks, I don't see any unaffected leaves in the photos.

I would be more urgent with triage, but I'm no expert. If you want some much wiser eyes to review your situation, post these photos in the Mango Pests, Diseases & Nutritional Problems thread here: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1001.2200

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 09:07:26 AM »
Probably replant process further shock the tree. You can try Superthrive to help with the transplant shock If not severe pruning would be the last resort.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk