Author Topic: Smudge pots?  (Read 809 times)

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Smudge pots?
« on: April 29, 2022, 11:17:25 AM »
I went on a citrus buying spree in zone 8B . Got trees through this last winter but only got to 21 degrees so nothing horrible but epic freezes are a regular occurrence in 8B. So I know about old Christmas lights (where to get those?), frost fabric...but now I’m thinking smudge pots as a great backup in case power goes out....anyone have experience with these? How far do you keep them from trees?

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Smudge pots?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 01:51:52 PM »

I think  I saw them at the C&M nursery in Nipomo, CA from the freeway.  Anyways,  they are probably going to be  relics with smog issues. They are also "hot" items too url=https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/02/21/police-accuse-california-man-of-stealing-citrus-tree-heaters/

I see more wind machines in orchards these days, but caution is advised!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fresnobee.com/news/local/article224209950.html

I would if a patio propane heater work for smaller home orchards? Plug in box fans to keep frost from landing?

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 11:11:00 PM »
We have 5 trees, and always have freeze issues. The worst is when we get a hard freeze in early match with blossoms and new tender growth. I thought about a smudge pot, but they are pricey. We ran the sprinkler and covered the trees with ice. It was a scary sight to see all the ice, but there was only about 5% damage.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 11:48:41 PM »
They are indeed relics but some of the new ones can apparently run on anything from diesel to vegetable oil.

I talked to a gentleman with a mango orchard and he tested the sprinklers vs the smudge pots and he said the smudge pots protected his trees better. Didn’t have time for specifics with what he did.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk