Author Topic: Looking to Buy No Mai Tsze, Sweetheart and Emperor Lychee tree  (Read 1961 times)

Dragon3435

• Westminster
    • View Profile
I am looking to buy No Mai Tsze, Sweetheart and Emperor lychee tree in southern California area if anyone has them.  Please shoot me a PM.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to Buy No Mai Tsze, Sweetheart and Emperor Lychee tree
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 06:16:02 PM »
I saw some recently for sale on Lara farms website.

I have had horrible luck here with lychees so I'm staying away

Dragon3435

• Westminster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »
I'll check them out thanks.  Yeah they can be very challenging plants if your lucky you have strong strain they can do well.  So far I only have the brewsters and its doing okay but no fruits yet so we'll see.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 09:01:38 PM »
Recently picked up an Emperor air-layer from Laras

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 12:49:39 AM »
The taste of emperor lychee is very disappointing. It is a large red fruit but compared to Brewster it is very bland. I don’t think it is worth growing.

Bill

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 02:06:11 AM »
Bill, that is not good news. Maybe since its your first year fruts it may get better next year.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 02:19:28 AM »
The taste of emperor lychee is very disappointing. It is a large red fruit but compared to Brewster it is very bland. I don’t think it is worth growing.

Bill

I can't imagine a world where Emperor is inferior to Brewster, something has to be amiss! :o

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 03:20:02 AM »
Emperor blooms and fruits consistently for me.  I've had it for many many years.  It's a later ripening lychee here and will bloom/fruit one year and take the next year off.  In my area, it doesn't get that sweet. It's more of a sweet tart tastes before it's fully ripe which is when i eat them. If I let it really ripen, it's more of a bland sweetness.  It doesn't have the intense sweetness that's typical of most lychee varieties. However, fruits are huge and the size of golf balls.  I could see why it would be describe as inferior to Brewster ahah.

Sweetheart is a much more sweeter fruit and ripens earlier here along with Mauritius.  Both more typical lychee profile.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 11:04:10 AM »
Eggo, how reliably does your Sweetheart fruit. I have been told by many people that here is SoCal it fruits very sporadically.

Bill

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 02:54:30 PM »

Bill

Bill, I love the taste of my Emperor, it is not as juicy and aromatic but is large and hardly any seeds. Maybe try a different fertilizer. They also need a more acidic growing medium.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 04:47:38 PM »
Sweetheart has become a more consistent flower/fruiter as it got older.  The last 5/6 years it fruited and flower every year just some year is lighter some year is heavier.  Mauritius fruits well like once every 3 years.  When Sweetheart was smaller it was more like Mauritius.  Out of the very few lychee varieties I tasted I thought Sweetheart was the best.

Dragon3435

• Westminster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 04:53:22 PM »
Does anyone have No Mai Tsze?  Interesting take on the Emperor as I have no experience on tasting one I would at least think it be way better than store bought since lychee are a lot better fresh for it retain his fragrance and sweetness.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 06:38:36 PM »
I am looking to buy No Mai Tsze, Sweetheart and Emperor lychee tree in southern California area if anyone has them.  Please shoot me a PM.

Champa usually has a stack of emperor and sweetheart in stock, call ahead to confirm.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 10:48:21 PM »
Maybe it is because we have well drained acid soil here in Central Florida, but Emperor is one of our best lychees. I have read reports from Australia that said it was sour there, though. I have also had lychee experts from south Florida say that the Emperor fruits they get down there are "washed out" compared to our fruits.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 11:50:28 PM »
Sweetheart has become a more consistent flower/fruiter as it got older.  The last 5/6 years it fruited and flower every year just some year is lighter some year is heavier.  Mauritius fruits well like once every 3 years.  When Sweetheart was smaller it was more like Mauritius.  Out of the very few lychee varieties I tasted I thought Sweetheart was the best.

I thought Mauritius is a consistent producer here in SoCal. I have a tree about 2 yeaes in ground and it grows nicely. But if it only fruits once every 3 years then it is not worth the spot.
Anyone else grow Mauritius?

Dragon3435

• Westminster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2022, 02:13:55 AM »
No Mai Tsze? Anyone?

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2022, 10:02:53 AM »
Maybe I waited too long to eat my Emperor. They did taste bland. They weren’t as good as a store bought lychee. In my opinion if anyone in SoCal is going to grow only one lychee then it should be Brewster. If you are going to grow more than one lychee then you can try some of the other varieties.

Bill

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2022, 10:53:35 AM »
I'll have an Emperor airlayer ready in the next 2 to 3 months.  If you still want one by then.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2022, 11:37:09 AM »
In our grove, Emperor is best when there is still some yellow on the peel up until the point that it gets to the fully red stage. If it gets purplish, it will typically be flat. Sweetheart and Florida Hak Ip are also best when there is still some green and can even be picked when they are about half red/green. In contrast, Brewster should NEVER be picked until it has fully changed color to red (if you like tangy) or dark red/purple if you like mainly sweet. Maybe someone from California could comment since it is probably different, but that is the rule of thumb here in Central Florida

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »
Galatians522, yes, I agree with everything you mentioned about Brewster, just like you described it. My Brewster is a huge tree (15ftx18ft) over 30yrs old and it tastes very good and has lots of fruits every year.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 03:12:29 PM »
I probably waited too long to try my emperor lychee. I left them on the tree so they were very ripe. That is the way I like my Brewster lychee. But that is probably what caused the emperor lychee to be flat and bland. My emperor didn’t flower this year so I will have to wait until next year to try them again.

Bill

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2022, 11:19:30 PM »
I probably waited too long to try my emperor lychee. I left them on the tree so they were very ripe. That is the way I like my Brewster lychee. But that is probably what caused the emperor lychee to be flat and bland. My emperor didn’t flower this year so I will have to wait until next year to try them again.

Bill

I would definitely give that a try when it fruits again. It took 10 years and an article from Australia for us to figure out that we were waiting too long to harvest the Florida Hak Ip and Sweet Heart.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2022, 09:59:05 AM »
Thank you for bringing it up.
It may be useful when my Hak Ip holds a fruit or 2.