Author Topic: Mango tastings 2022 - let's start!  (Read 1248 times)

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Mango tastings 2022 - let's start!
« on: May 12, 2022, 11:43:21 AM »
hi friends! My first mango tasting of the 2022 season is on. Twist: it’s not Florida mangoes! 😜 (some really hilarious wildlife guaranteed as well!) hope you guys enjoy both, let me know what you have tasted so far this season and how it was.
https://youtu.be/qCC30yHNKSw

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tastings 2022 - let's start!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 09:30:30 AM »
Hi Satya,

The retreat in Kathmandu is beautiful!  Thank you for sharing the taste reviews.

Janet

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 05:44:50 AM »
Indeed, the retreat centre is beautiful which remind me of a retreat centre in north Myanmar that I went.

You're right, no where has more varieties and taste complexity as Florida mangoes. Do you know which variety has most spicy taste? Once I taste a Madame Francine mango, it was quite spicy which i like.

I'll still waiting for the LZ and Maha to ripe (in 1-2 weeks), and the Sweet Tart in 1-2 month.

Thank you for the video, quite informative. Now, I can cross Alphonso mango off my list.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 03:11:46 PM »
Keep the videos coming Satya! I’m surprised you compared the Alphonso with Mallika. To me, Mallika is a taste shifter. I’ve had Mallika taste like honey, honey with a bit of vanilla, sometimes it tasted like Honeykiss with a bit of honey and some balancing acidity, and sometimes it tasted completely different and resembled almost like a cross between HK and Lemon Zest. At its worst, Mallika tasted like carrots and not very sweet.

Throughout all this, Mallika usually has at least a bit of that Resinous taste that some might call spicy, turpentine or pine sol like.

For me, Alphonso usually has a much stronger resinous taste compared to Mallika. It has a very strong turpentine/pine sol scent and taste with a slightly metallic background that is off putting to those that are not accustomed to such strongly flavored mangos. This same strong flavor is what draws in those mango connoisseurs that highly covet the spicy resinous taste of Indian Mangos.

I’ve noticed that the mid to late season Alphonso and Kesars are much better than the early season fruit. Keep up those great videos Satya!

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 07:12:21 PM »
Too many monkeys, Satya. :)
John

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 10:04:33 PM »
Indeed, the retreat centre is beautiful which remind me of a retreat centre in north Myanmar that I went.

You're right, no where has more varieties and taste complexity as Florida mangoes. Do you know which variety has most spicy taste? Once I taste a Madame Francine mango, it was quite spicy which i like.

I'll still waiting for the LZ and Maha to ripe (in 1-2 weeks), and the Sweet Tart in 1-2 month.

Thank you for the video, quite informative. Now, I can cross Alphonso mango off my list.
Thank you. Yes the retreat center is magic. Days pass by so easily, and the energy of the surrounding and the people in it is palpable, something one can only realize once one returns back to the city.

For me Dwarf Hawaiian was spicy and there was another small and sweet mango from Cuba, i think Alex was selling it as Prieto. Alphonso in FL is different, milder, less sweeter, less spicy component compared to the one i just tasted.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 10:13:13 PM »
Keep the videos coming Satya! I’m surprised you compared the Alphonso with Mallika. To me, Mallika is a taste shifter. I’ve had Mallika taste like honey, honey with a bit of vanilla, sometimes it tasted like Honeykiss with a bit of honey and some balancing acidity, and sometimes it tasted completely different and resembled almost like a cross between HK and Lemon Zest. At its worst, Mallika tasted like carrots and not very sweet.

Throughout all this, Mallika usually has at least a bit of that Resinous taste that some might call spicy, turpentine or pine sol like.

For me, Alphonso usually has a much stronger resinous taste compared to Mallika. It has a very strong turpentine/pine sol scent and taste with a slightly metallic background that is off putting to those that are not accustomed to such strongly flavored mangos. This same strong flavor is what draws in those mango connoisseurs that highly covet the spicy resinous taste of Indian Mangos.

I’ve noticed that the mid to late season Alphonso and Kesars are much better than the early season fruit. Keep up those great videos Satya!

Simon
Thank you Simon. Yes i agree Mallika's prominent taste is what you described, there is still a subtle taste of the Indian mango. I should have used some other mango like Sonpari but Mallika came in mind :) . These early Alphonsos are less complex and sweet as i heard from local mango lovers here. I actually got to taste Dasheri mangos after a week of this tasting video and they were on par. The Dusheri i had in FL was at ZHPP and the young Asian person there, he gave me to taste and said he does not know what is so great about it that Indians propagate it. It tasted mildly sweet, a  bit washed out. The one i tasted here had good sweetness, and some acidity to balance it and a faint under taste of resin like in an Indian mango. I ate a lot of Dasheris after that as i was invited for lunch by different members of the retreat center, they would serve rice, many different curries and then many sliced mangos :).

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 10:14:31 PM »
Too many monkeys, Satya. :)
Yes John, monk and monkeys, and mangos  ;D . You will like this place, come to Nepal.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 11:03:08 PM »
Hi Satya,

The retreat in Kathmandu is beautiful!  Thank you for sharing the taste reviews.

Janet
Thank you Janet. The hills in the Himalayan range have a beauty and a mystery that i find nowhere. I will be posting more of meditation and my travel to such mystical places in my parallel youtube channel. Sometimes mangos intertwine with meditation journeys.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 12:03:44 AM »

Thank you. Yes the retreat center is magic. Days pass by so easily, and the energy of the surrounding and the people in it is palpable, something one can only realize once one returns back to the city.
[/quote]
That's right, many people say mindfulness practice is can be anywhere, anytime. However, I find that most of us need to be close to nature, that extra time alone and surround by calm people to get that charge of samadhi. Every opportunity that one can break away to a retreat is a bless. Just doing nothing can be the happiest thing in the world.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 12:08:28 AM »
That's right, many people say mindfulness practice is can be anywhere, anytime. However, I find that most of us need to be close to nature, that extra time alone and surround by calm people to get that charge of samadhi. Every opportunity that one can break away to a retreat is a bless. Just doing nothing can be the happiest thing in the world.

My Maha first taste wasn't that great. Very special strong scent yet taste very bland, not on par of the LZ. Maybe I pick it a little early.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:12:45 AM by Alekhan »

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 06:55:14 PM »
The 2nd Maha, I pick when it's still green then let it ripe for few days, much better (sweeter) than the yellow one (1st). That's very strange.