Author Topic: Where are these pest coming from?  (Read 1078 times)

tonyma

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
Where are these pest coming from?
« on: June 04, 2022, 06:51:00 AM »
After a few rain, I see a lot of these pests in this container. I do not see them in any other pots. Just wonder where are they coming from. I’m thinking they are from the original soil when I bought the tree.

tonyma

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Where are these pest coming from?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 06:52:06 AM »
Oh, forgot to ask if anyone know the name of this pest.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 09:39:07 AM »
They look like Garden Millipedes. They are fairly harmless to plants.  They feed on decaying matter.  Only time that plants may be injured is in the case of extreme dryness, when they may feed on roots.

I'd just let them be.  If they bother you, you could scoop them out of the pot and dump them in the compost pile.

I have lots of them in my greenhouse and they never bother anything.

My Chinese Painted Quail love to eat them.  Funny though, when I move a pot and the quail all come running, they only ever want whichever millipede the OTHER quail has! They will chase each other around, shredding one bug as they battle for it, while the other bugs escape unharmed.  Bird brains!

Carolyn

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 10:32:40 AM »
Harmless

Sondiana

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 07:41:00 AM »
It can be frustrating to see them popping up out of nowhere. Regarding the source of the pests, it's possible that they could have come from the original soil when you bought the tree. However, there are many other factors that could be at play here, such as the environment, weather, and other nearby plants.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 12:43:11 PM »
It can be frustrating to see them popping up out of nowhere. Regarding the source of the pests, it's possible that they could have come from the original soil when you bought the tree. However, there are many other factors that could be at play here, such as the environment, weather, and other nearby plants.
Spammer.  It can be frustrating to attract so many spammers to the forum!  >:(
John

Olandeep

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 08:10:17 AM »
It's kinda bizarre how pests seem to show up out of nowhere after a good rain, right? Your theory about them coming from the original soil makes sense – they're probably taking advantage of the moisture.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 03:24:07 PM »
Spammer.  It can be frustrating to attract so many spammers to the forum!  >:(

It seems like someone is testing their spammer AI by having it post "answers" on various forums. Thank you to the mods for doing battle against this onslaught!

CarolynKing

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 04:58:43 AM »
spammer
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 02:22:43 PM by JakeFruit »