Author Topic: Hand Pollination - passiflora decaisneana  (Read 5084 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Hand Pollination - passiflora decaisneana
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2023, 07:04:44 AM »
shaxs, which variety of passiflower do you have that is fruiting?

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2023, 03:26:36 PM »
Here is what is fruiting:

Passiflora Edulis var flavicarpa (Hawaiian Lilokoi yellow)

Passiflora Edulis 'Frederick'

Passiflora Edulis 'Galaxy' (this was bought at Ricardo's nursery in Anaheim.

Passiflora Phoenicia 'Ruby Glow'

Passiflora Edulis 'Golden Sweet' (also bought at Ricardo's)

I have the following flowering as well: passiflora caerulea, passifora incaranata, passiflora incense. Passiflora Edulis 'Columbia Red' will be flowering soon. Passiflora Lingularis is now 4 years old and neither have flowered.

I have about 20 or so other varieties either in seedlings or newly acquired plants that I am waiting for flowering: nigradenia, antioquiensis, tarminiana, mollissima, laurifolia, cumbalensis, pinnatistipula, serrulata, maliformis, platyloba, quadrangularis,  and quite a few edulis hybrids.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2023, 03:44:08 PM »
Here is what is fruiting:

Passiflora Edulis var flavicarpa (Hawaiian Lilokoi yellow)

Passiflora Edulis 'Frederick'

Passiflora Edulis 'Galaxy' (this was bought at Ricardo's nursery in Anaheim.

Passiflora Phoenicia 'Ruby Glow'

Passiflora Edulis 'Golden Sweet' (also bought at Ricardo's)

I have the following flowering as well: passiflora caerulea, passifora incaranata, passiflora incense. Passiflora Edulis 'Columbia Red' will be flowering soon. Passiflora Lingularis is now 4 years old and neither have flowered.

I have about 20 or so other varieties either in seedlings or newly acquired plants that I am waiting for flowering: nigradenia, antioquiensis, tarminiana, mollissima, laurifolia, cumbalensis, pinnatistipula, serrulata, maliformis, platyloba, quadrangularis,  and quite a few edulis hybrids.

What is the sweetest one that does not need hand pollination or cross pollination?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2023, 06:01:31 PM »
Wow, your weren't kidding when you said you grew a lot of varieties.

When your fruits are done on the Hawaiian Lilokoi yellow, can I get a few cuttings from you?

Nice to hear you got fruits on the Ruby Glow, I purchase 2-3 small plants and they are growing fast. Did you need to hand pollinate the Ruby Glow and if yes, what did you use for the pollen?

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2023, 12:23:19 AM »
What is the sweetest one that does not need hand pollination or cross pollination?

Of ones I have actually tried so far, I would say the standard Frederick. Im hoping the Laurifolia will flower and cross pollinate. I am super interested in trying those.

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2023, 12:24:57 AM »
Wow, your weren't kidding when you said you grew a lot of varieties.

When your fruits are done on the Hawaiian Lilokoi yellow, can I get a few cuttings from you?

Nice to hear you got fruits on the Ruby Glow, I purchase 2-3 small plants and they are growing fast. Did you need to hand pollinate the Ruby Glow and if yes, what did you use for the pollen?

Sure! I can get you some yellow cuttings. They do require cross pollination with another purple/red edulis variety like a Frederick.

Ruby Glow requires cross pollination. I have done a lot of testing and the only one I can get to pollinate it is Passiflora Caerulea. I have 4-5 Caerulea plants just for pollinating other varieties.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2023, 05:28:14 PM »
Here's an update on my fruits. Can anyone tell me how much longer these fruits will take before it is ripe?

My vine did well this year, looks like I will have 35 fruits to eat, must be a record.

If anyone would like to taste a ripe fruit, I may have some for sale when it is ready (local CA only, cost to much to ship out of state).

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2023, 05:51:42 PM »
Jealous of all those fruit, mine is just now having its first buds. A very late comer this year. Anyway ,i dont have pollen from my alata, so i will not have any fruit as awlays, i will self the flowers, but i am sure, there wont be anything. Whatever strain of this passiflora that i have, is self sterile. 

RB

• Santa Clara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2023, 10:27:17 PM »
I harvested my first batch of fruit from the early season blooms.  Everyone that tried the fruit really liked it.  When the fruit is ripe it becomes yellow and loses the shine. As the fruit ripens you will smell a nice fragrance when you rub the skin. B[/img]

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2023, 01:34:20 AM »
Ok, good to know, thanks.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2023, 06:40:02 AM »
Since I have been hand pollinating my passion fruit vine every day now, I also noticed there were some of my p. edulis (purple fruit) flowers starting to bloom this week. Since I hand pollinate every open flower of the p. decaisneana, I decided to also hand pollinate the p. edulis flowers.

So, does anyone know if you can cross pollinate the Passiflora Decaisneana with Passiflora Edulis (Frederick)?

Will it give fruits that I can take seeds and grow out for a newly crossed fruit? I did cross pollinate 4-6 flowers from each type but was not sure if it will give fruits with seeds I can germinate.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2023, 06:51:41 AM »
I have another question for you folks growing the passiflora decaisneana. My vine has been blooming flowers now since July 2023 - October 2023, is this normal?

For the last 2 months, I have had to go outside every day about 10am to hand pollinate the darn thing since it pops up new flowers ready for me to hand pollinate it. I did notice that in the month of August and September (SoCal) I got the most fruit set from my hand pollination work. I thought the vine stopped having flowers last week, but now that it got a little warmer (85F +) the flowers are starting up again.

So, I would like to know if your vines do the same thing, flower for 4 months long. This vine is just one graft I did on the p.edulis vine 2-3yrs ago.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 06:53:22 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2023, 06:54:58 AM »
I think I'm getting close to my goal of getting 50 fruits on this vine at the rate it is popping up new flowers. I counted about 38 fruits on this vine. I better number each one, so I have a proper count.

If I get to 50 then I'm taking a photo of each fruit with numbers to record my largest fruit set and hopefully harvesting the ripe fruits. If these actually ripen and taste decent, then I will have a fruit sale so some lucky folks here can taste one for yourself.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 06:58:28 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2023, 07:38:44 AM »
shaxs, is Ricardo's nursery in Anaheim in Long Beach? I couldn't find one in Anaheim. Is this nursery open to the public or is it only onlne orders?

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2023, 12:24:19 PM »
I have another question for you folks growing the passiflora decaisneana. My vine has been blooming flowers now since July 2023 - October 2023, is this normal?

For the last 2 months, I have had to go outside every day about 10am to hand pollinate the darn thing since it pops up new flowers ready for me to hand pollinate it. I did notice that in the month of August and September (SoCal) I got the most fruit set from my hand pollination work. I thought the vine stopped having flowers last week, but now that it got a little warmer (85F +) the flowers are starting up again.

Mine was also flowering non-stop from February-November here inland zone 10A. It was still flowering when my Possum Purple stop due to the cold air in winter.

So, I would like to know if your vines do the same thing, flower for 4 months long. This vine is just one graft I did on the p.edulis vine 2-3yrs ago.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2023, 11:40:00 PM »
My vines are still throwing out flowers.  The vines aren't very large, so after the initial max fruits were set, they did pause flowering, presumably until the roots gained enough extra capacity to push more flowers.  I haven't counted, but guessing only around 10 fruits are hanging.  I don't know about the cross-pollination compatibility. Ricardos is at thhe 91 & 710 https://www.ricardosnursery.com/. I've only been there once, and they didn't mention wholesale only.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2023, 01:37:37 AM »
mbmango, thanks for the info on Ricardos, I will need to visit them next week.

I noticed that now my passiflora decaisneana has a few flowers open every day but none of them have set fruit after I hand pollinated so it must be over with fruiting. I won't make 50 fruits on my one graft.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2023, 05:22:05 PM »
My fruits have started to ripen now. I ate 3 fruits so far. I was a little disappointed with the amount of flesh inside the fruit. There is not much to eat, but it is good, mildly sweet, no sour/bitter taste at all.

If this fruit had more flesh to eat then it would be a excellent variety to grow. I hope my other fruits get more flesh inside. I will start posting some ripe fruit photos from the next ones that are ripe.

If anyone else has ripe fruits that they can take photos of it after it is cut open, it would be good for others that are thinking about growing this variety.

If anyone want to grow this one, I can sell some cuttings after all the fruits are ripe, so maybe in another month. Send me a PM if you want to buy some cuttings. They can be rooted by starting in water until you see white roots, then transfer into a pot.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2023, 02:00:26 AM »
Is the rind thick and edible on this species? My plant had just a few flowers, nothing set, i failed to grow caerulea and alata to flower,  to cross pollinate. Alot of flower buds aborted, plant is growing as normal.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2023, 02:37:02 PM »
Yes, you can eat the rind, here's an excerpt from Hoang who gave me my first cuttingis that turn into this large vine with many fruits this year.

"Passiflora decaisneana is the hybrid of passiflora quadrangularis (giant granadilla) and passiflora alata.  Its rind is edible.  The arils are sweet (a little sour), excellent taste. "

You do need to hand pollinate the flower (self) or you will not get fruits from my experience this year. Also, for me here in SoCal, the vine flowers from July - November, but the flowers that are hand pollinated in July/August are the ones with fruit set the best.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2023, 02:45:12 PM »
Here's my update on the fruits that actually made it until ripe without any critters eating them.

I hand pollinated as many flowers as I could daily, what a lot of work, but very exciting when I saw the small fruit set in about a week. I covered every fruit with the organza bags.

After the fruits started getting larger, now I had to wait until it ripened as Ron and others had said. It was not quite brown yet, just starting to show some light color (not green any more). Then I noticed one by one the larger fruits were getting holes one the side or the entire half of the fruits were eaten through the bags. So, I double bagged the remaining fruits, and they were still getting eatten through the bags. Tried brown paper lunch bag, it didnt work, so I just let them grow until I saw a slgith brown to dark brown skin to pick them.

The good news is I did end up getting 13 nice size fruits that seems to be ripe now. The bad news is I started out with 37 fruitlets so I thought I should get about 30 good fruits to send out one to each friend on the forum, sorry that won't happen this year.

I will post some photos of the fruits later tonight.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2023, 02:46:32 PM »
If anyone else had success with this passion fruit, please post some photos of your fruit, and also let me know if you have a good way to protect the fruits from the critters that like to eat them just when it is ready to pick.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2023, 10:29:14 AM »
Last night, I re-tried one of these fruit and was blown away. It is exceptionally good. While I liked the fruit sampled in the past, this one was on another level. Though it has some flavor similarities to p. edulis, the sour is turned down (but not off), with added banana and melon flavors that blend nicely. Good. level of sweetness, needed nothing. Even my wife, who doesn't like passion fruit, enjoyed it and didn't make a funny face. I ate a lot of the seeds, which chewed up easily enough, but were a little more work than edulis. Gonna baby my vine now, need more of these fruits!

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2023, 03:08:52 PM »
Finally got to try some. I wasn't sure when to pick, but once the rodents start going for them, I figure they must be ready. Interestingly, the first fruit to be stolen was almost entirely gone, but subsequent meals only involved eating the rinds and leaving the pulp, which turns out to be fine for us.

I've tried to protect other fruits from the rodents, but they will squeeze through chicken wire and chew through plastic clamshells (both used simultaneously) so I have to just pick earlier, which seems to work out for these fruits anyways.

For the ones that we sampled, the rind was like a softer sweeter watermelon rind, but nothing spectacular, plus the effort to prep (peel outside and inner skin), so I'll be composting them mostly. We really enjoyed the pulp though. Great description from Rob. I like sweet, and I rarely eat any of our Possums or Fredericks. But I was surprised since my wife, for whom I grow the purples, also prefers these. So, I'll be converting more trellis space to these.

They didn't get as large as I thought they would, but I'll be putting in a little more effort hopefully for next season.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2023, 09:24:01 PM »
Gerald, you were lucky, my critters ate more than half of my fruits. I started with 37 fruits, only ended up with about 13-15 that was ready to eat. I will try to post some photos later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk