Author Topic: What kind of insects/disease is on my peach tree?  (Read 612 times)

masterfisher315

• USA, Georgia, Atlanta
    • View Profile
What kind of insects/disease is on my peach tree?
« on: August 20, 2022, 07:34:15 AM »
I live in north Atlanta, have a mature peach tree that has some bug/disease issues that decimated my peaches this year. Some kind of insect got into all the peaches, you can see the pits with gelatin stuff oozing out. I noticed this tiny black beetle-looking bug crawling on some of the peaches(pic below). Can you tell what type of insect that is?
Also I noticed some rough scaly areas around the base of the tree, do you think this is some kind of disease or scale?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of insects/disease is on my peach tree?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 08:00:50 AM »
I don't know squat about peaches (this question might get better traction in the Temperate Fruit Discussion board), but at first glance the bug looks like some type of weevil. A quick google search on "Georgia peaches weevil" suggests those are Plum Curculio.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 08:28:55 AM »
Looks like oriental fruit moth damage to me.  If you cut open the fruit, there will be a tiny caterpillar near the seed.  The bug in your picture is something different, don't think that's the one causing your fruit damage, but I could be wrong.  The rough bark photos look like old lenticels. 

Janet

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 09:54:18 AM »
The insect looks like some sort of weevil, judging from his little snout.  I don't think they go after trees, more into grains and stuff.  I'd call your local extension office and get some help with spraying your trees for next year.

Carolyn

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 10:37:20 AM »
The oriental fruit moth can reproduce several times in a year.  Remove all the fruit from the property.  They lay eggs in the soft tips of branches, you will see dieback on the tips.  I prune about 8 inches off all the tips late summer and early spring before bloom and dispose of them. 

Peaches fruit on new wood grown the previous year, so if you prune and thin your branches regularly, that will help limit the damage and you'll get better quality fruit from fewer fruits since peaches overproduce. 

Hope that helps.

Janet

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 11:50:09 AM »
Here's a Plum Curculio (from the photos you provided, I'd bet money it's what you have):

and the accompanying article about the damage it does to peaches from UGA:
https://newswire.caes.uga.edu/story/8869/plum-curculio.html

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 01:13:30 PM »
Snout beetle! Eeewww!

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 01:46:48 PM »
Jakefruit,

Thanks for the research.  I'm always learning from others here.  I haven't seen that insect fortunately.  Peaches are the most challenging fruit I grow, I get why they're one of the most highly sprayed fruits. 

I have found that the healthier you can make your tree, strong rootstock, proper nutrients, and right growing conditions, the less insect damage you get as the trees mature.  Peaches benefit from extra calcium along with your usual macro/micro nutrients.

Janet