Author Topic: Tropical Fruit Forum Grower Database  (Read 1317 times)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Tropical Fruit Forum Grower Database
« on: October 25, 2022, 10:33:54 PM »
Update:
I've put it together! https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZjBhMGEyYWYtZDgxMC00NmU1LTg1YmMtNzU1ZDNiNTMwMjhlIiwidCI6ImNhODU2YzQ5LTFkNTQtNGYzMS04ODEzLWFiMTJmZGNmZGQ1MSJ9

Hi everyone,

I had an idea while using one of my work programs, as a way for more growers on the forums to get information they need, compare other's practices, and connect with each other more meaningfully. This database isn't going to be useful overnight... but in time, I think it could be invaluable for us as a community <3

Here is the entry form; if enough people show interest I'll put together a dashboard tomorrow and link it to the top of this comment.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScc-UK10VKJvKf5ehhbYgXwZ_fkEZlf2FdWz_OHU7j-CIiJxg/viewform

Located inside the entry form is the template, which you may find quite a bit easier if you have a lot of trees. I'd appreciate if you kept the form open and filled in the template according to the response choices so I don't have to double-check every entry.

Please let me know if you run into any trouble!

-- ALSO! If anyone has ideas on what should be included in the form for better/more useful information, or changes to questions; please let me know. thanks
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 02:21:51 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical Fruit Forum Grower Database
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 10:38:52 PM »
Looks good and useful-

2 questions immediately spring to mind,
  • Can you leave any parts of the form blank? might be good to add an N/A option if no
  • What is the expense of maintaining it and do you commit to maintaining it in the long term? I would be happy to contribute, but would want to know it was gonna be around for a while

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 10:47:44 PM »
Looks good and useful-

2 questions immediately spring to mind,
  • Can you leave any parts of the form blank? might be good to add an N/A option if no
  • What is the expense of maintaining it and do you commit to maintaining it in the long term? I would be happy to contribute, but would want to know it was gonna be around for a while

Hi. I believe every single question can be left blank, except for the growing location (indoors/outdoors/greenhouse)

I already pay for/use PowerBI at work all the time; economically it may as well be free. I like to automate everything, so with the right scrubbing the database should take care of itself too!
I have a lot of trees myself, and I plan on using the database to learn more. I am committed for the many years and years to come : )
instagram @trumansacco

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 11:10:37 PM »
Wow this is super cool. I'm excited to try this out!
I think it would be cool to have a map of a pin where everyone is at and be able to click on the profile and see more info.
I believe the forum used to do this but was scrapped due to privacy issues?
Not quite sure what the questions on the fruit tree one that you have on is for? It seems too specific...
Maybe have people list the genuses of most grown plants they have.
Just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 11:15:18 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 12:57:40 AM »
I think it would be cool to have a map of a pin where everyone is at and be able to click on the profile and see more info.
Not quite sure what the questions on the fruit tree one that you have on is for? It seems too specific...
Just a thought.

thanks! I figure that since the usernames will be compulsory, I could make a tab in the dashboard that will automatically link you to the person's profile.
Can you be more specific about the fruit tree question? I'm confused which one, I'll make it clearer though
instagram @trumansacco

TropicalFruitSeeker

• Vancouver, Wa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 05:39:15 PM »
Any way to bulk add items from excel for you? I already nerd out and keep an excel tracker of my plants and my seedings with their sow date. For plants I purchased I guestimate their age, google sheets is a pretty easy way to share bulk data as well, (the one for the yangmei order works really well). I could link you my sheet and if you upload on the backend then you'll have my collections info.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 06:10:33 PM »
I am going to need a tutorial on the Microsoft Power BI.

You could also add pests to your entry database.
That could be useful info for prospective growers.
May help with selection of resistant species or varieties for areas with known pest problems ie fruitfly.
Are regular preventative pesticide or fungicide treatments required to grow the tree in a Zone ?

On that note you could possibly go further down from species to variety / cultivar if known.
ie Avocados. People might be growing Avocados across many zones but the varieties could be very different,
Mexican or Guatemalan Race  in California, West Indian in Cairns Australia.
Even then the actual variety in the Race could be different again. ie Bacon in Melbourne Australia
Jackfruit varieties can be very different, crunchy, soft, citrus, bubblegum which would affect the taste rating ?
Similar to White Sapote Casimiroa, many varieties of fruit.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 06:29:52 PM »
Just a thought.

thanks! I figure that since the usernames will be compulsory, I could make a tab in the dashboard that will automatically link you to the person's profile.
Can you be more specific about the fruit tree question? I'm confused which one, I'll make it clearer though
Fruit Name -- colloquially called:
and the next couple questions. Makes no sense as most people are growing 100s of different species?

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 08:23:08 PM »
Any way to bulk add items from excel for you? I already nerd out and keep an excel tracker of my plants and my seedings with their sow date. For plants I purchased I guestimate their age, google sheets is a pretty easy way to share bulk data as well, (the one for the yangmei order works really well). I could link you my sheet and if you upload on the backend then you'll have my collections info.

I just added a way to send me the link through the entry form, I know it says make a copy but if you have an extensive document no need to transcribe it, I'll get around it shortly. Thanks!
instagram @trumansacco

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 08:32:12 PM »
Fruit Name -- colloquially called:
and the next couple questions. Makes no sense as most people are growing 100s of different species?

gotcha yeah, I can see how that would be pretty painful to input that many. I've added a template that should hopefully make it easier, let me know what you think

I am going to need a tutorial on the Microsoft Power BI.

You could also add pests to your entry database.
That could be useful info for prospective growers.
May help with selection of resistant species or varieties for areas with known pest problems ie fruitfly.
Are regular preventative pesticide or fungicide treatments required to grow the tree in a Zone ?

On that note you could possibly go further down from species to variety / cultivar if known.
ie Avocados. People might be growing Avocados across many zones but the varieties could be very different,
Mexican or Guatemalan Race  in California, West Indian in Cairns Australia.
Even then the actual variety in the Race could be different again. ie Bacon in Melbourne Australia
Jackfruit varieties can be very different, crunchy, soft, citrus, bubblegum which would affect the taste rating ?
Similar to White Sapote Casimiroa, many varieties of fruit.

Thank you for this! I've added a pest, and taste tags, you can just write the variety in the fruit name and I'll make some rules to auto-separate them when they get displayed in the dashboard.

As far as PowerBI goes, it can filter information incredibly fast. Click around and explore the demo if you want an idea, You can click on the colored charts and interact with everything. Imagine that, but with fruit species instead  ;D
instagram @trumansacco

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2022, 08:32:37 AM »
This would be awesome. I have filled out a few already.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2022, 02:20:10 PM »
This would be awesome. I have filled out a few already.

Here's the first rendition, thanks for contributing! I'll continue to update it as more come in. Let me know what you think/if anything should change. Been a bit busy so I'll work on aesthetics in due time; but it's functional

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZjBhMGEyYWYtZDgxMC00NmU1LTg1YmMtNzU1ZDNiNTMwMjhlIiwidCI6ImNhODU2YzQ5LTFkNTQtNGYzMS04ODEzLWFiMTJmZGNmZGQ1MSJ9
instagram @trumansacco

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2022, 11:23:33 PM »
I am wondering, if we write a plant down at one point, and it starts fruiting, would it make sense to do another submission for that plant?

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2022, 11:24:33 PM »
I am wondering, if we write a plant down at one point, and it starts fruiting, would it make sense to do another submission for that plant?

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2022, 12:14:28 AM »
Looks really nice! I think if everyone contributed it would be nice and big given some time.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2022, 07:43:41 PM »

Good point. I'll try to future-proof as much as I can, added something to update the age every year from submission date.
As for the taste, I think for now messaging me will do, but if this gets out of hand there should be some self-serving way to specify which rows someone can edit with a given password.

Looks really nice! I think if everyone contributed it would be nice and big given some time.

Thanks so much! I agree, and plan on adding a quick research tab soon. I'd love to flesh this out to become some sort of website like growdiaries one day; It's incredible how few pictures there are of some of these fruit.

Sorry everyone if I'm bumping this too much. I know the form is a little tedious, but the network it will one day make is worth the trouble! I heavily encourage you to fill one out if you have the time; It'd really mean a lot to me. Thank you  :)
instagram @trumansacco

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2022, 01:23:04 AM »
Seems like it will be a useful database. I submitted an entry. I will have to use your fruit entry template if I want to do more; I have too many plants to enter them one at a time. I would want to find out my soil and water pH before I did that, though. Those were just about the only things I left blank. I could assume that rainwater is a neutral 7.0, but sometimes I run out of stored rainwater and have to use very hard municipal water. My soil mixtures vary from genus to genus, so what my Annonas are potted in is different from what my Citrus are potted in and so on and so forth.

Also, if a plant is unaffected by pests, should that entry be left blank? With the exception of my citrus, which are magnets for spider mites, everything else I grow is basically pest-free but for the occasional caterpillar, and I don't really consider caterpillars pests. I consider squirrels and chipmunks pests, but right now, mostly what they do to my container plants is dig in them and mess up their roots.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2022, 11:33:45 AM »
Seems like it will be a useful database. I submitted an entry. I will have to use your fruit entry template if I want to do more; I have too many plants to enter them one at a time. I would want to find out my soil and water pH before I did that, though. Those were just about the only things I left blank. I could assume that rainwater is a neutral 7.0, but sometimes I run out of stored rainwater and have to use very hard municipal water. My soil mixtures vary from genus to genus, so what my Annonas are potted in is different from what my Citrus are potted in and so on and so forth.

Also, if a plant is unaffected by pests, should that entry be left blank? With the exception of my citrus, which are magnets for spider mites, everything else I grow is basically pest-free but for the occasional caterpillar, and I don't really consider caterpillars pests. I consider squirrels and chipmunks pests, but right now, mostly what they do to my container plants is dig in them and mess up their roots.

Thank you for the kind words, and yeah no rush on the entries; I know that the scientific names can take some time to put together, and like you said not everyone knows their numbers off top.

It's completely fine to leave as many blank as necessary, the only things required are username and whether its being grown indoor/outdoor/greenhouse. It was all required at the very start, but I figure that it's simply asking too much to write down every pest, every taste, every... everything.

I'm still theorizing where I go next, but definitely a research tab is in the works already. I'm also working on a way to filter by pests because currently the treegraph isn't working how I wanted it to. (i.e. click on whitefly and see all trees affected by whitefly. instead it does nothing atm.)

and finally, you may be surprised to know rainwater is naturally acidic! I use rainwater too; It's where I got my 5.5 pH from  ;).
Thankfully my plants are young and water needs aren't that high... but this next time year I'll definitely need to dip into the hard water supply.

Regarding submission, I'd go with whatever you think paints the best picture of your situation. If you use 5.5 pH water all the time and need to dip into the 7.0 pH a couple times a year, I don't think you're being disingenuous by putting 5.5. If it's really often? maybe raise to 6. Whatever you think describes your circumstances best.

Thank you!, and everyone!! for taking the time and making suggestions. Much appreciated!
instagram @trumansacco