Author Topic: "Durian chempedak" Mabolo, Nance, dwarf acai, yellow grumichamma Duku Langsat  (Read 6515 times)

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia forbessii, chupa chupa, dwarf acai, yellow grumichamma
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2023, 04:04:39 PM »
Jealous of the forbesii lol. Tried to import them and they were all kaput presumably as the seeds are tiny for garcinias.

I bought some forbesii seeds from James Farwell a couple of years ago. Nothing. 0% germination rate. I've heard that this is not uncommon. I believe someone else on the forum said that forbesii has a germination rate of 1-2%, since it produces many non-viable seeds. Although I'm tempted to buy some, since it seems like an interesting fruit and Lance is a great seller, I know better. ;D

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2023, 06:00:50 PM »
I actually got lucky when visiting Frankies nursery and bought some forbessii fruits late january.  I have nothing compare them to since the only other garcinia I have tried was mangosteen.  Pretty good, like a quite sour small mangosteen.  Maybe even too sour for some people, but I didn't mind at all. Took the seeds home with me and nothing came from it.  Good luck to anyone that grabs them.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2023, 10:23:18 PM »
I actually got lucky when visiting Frankies nursery and bought some forbessii fruits late january.  I have nothing compare them to since the only other garcinia I have tried was mangosteen.  Pretty good, like a quite sour small mangosteen.  Maybe even too sour for some people, but I didn't mind at all. Took the seeds home with me and nothing came from it.  Good luck to anyone that grabs them.

For the record, these seeds that I have are not from Frankie's trees.  Side note, though his tree is a standalone, his does produce viable seeds.  You don't get 100% germinate, even 30% is quite generous even if you get viable looking ones.  However, there are a few of the seeds from this batch that have already germinated so you do get a chance at getting something out of it. 

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2023, 10:25:30 PM »
I actually got lucky when visiting Frankies nursery and bought some forbessii fruits late january.  I have nothing compare them to since the only other garcinia I have tried was mangosteen. 

If you ever get to try cherapu, then you'll create an obsession to get those seeds.  those maybe 40% germination is good.

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2023, 01:27:05 AM »
If you ever get to try cherapu, then you'll create an obsession to get those seeds.  those maybe 40% germination is good.

Wasn't suggesting they were Frankies just thought I would add my experience with them.  Would love to try some Cherapu or anything really, unfortunately in San Diego the only Garcinia I have ever seen is mangosteens from Mexico.  You guys are blessed with your options out there, I only got a small taste of what is available and I was hooked!

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2023, 04:39:56 PM »

Wasn't suggesting they were Frankies just thought I would add my experience with them.  Would love to try some Cherapu or anything really, unfortunately in San Diego the only Garcinia I have ever seen is mangosteens from Mexico.  You guys are blessed with your options out there, I only got a small taste of what is available and I was hooked!

no worries, frankie's or not, forbessii still have relatively low germination rate. 

palologrower

• View Profile
Re: Garcinia forbessii,, dwarf acai, yellow grumichamma , abiu
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2023, 06:54:25 PM »
abiu added.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2023, 08:01:13 PM »
Jealous of the forbesii lol. Tried to import them and they were all kaput presumably as the seeds are tiny for garcinias.

It’s not that great imho,  I think strawberry guavas taste better and they are weeds here

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2023, 08:23:59 PM »

It’s not that great imho,  I think strawberry guavas taste better and they are weeds here

id rather have cherapus any day to be honest.  but the rind made for pretty good candy actually.

palologrower

• View Profile
Re: Garcinia forbessii,, dwarf acai, yellow grumichamma , abiu, apple guava seeds
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2023, 02:13:40 PM »
apple guava seeds added.

palologrower

• View Profile
Re: Mabolo, Garcinia forbessii, dwarf acai, yellow grumichamma apple guava seeds
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2023, 02:42:39 PM »
mabolo seeds added.

palologrower

• View Profile
Re: Mabolo, Nance, dwarf acai, yellow grumichamma apple guava seeds
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2023, 04:07:50 AM »
Nance added

palologrower

• View Profile
Re: Mabolo, Nance, dwarf acai, yellow grumichamma apple guava seeds
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2023, 03:50:32 PM »
duku langsat added

palologrower

• View Profile
Re: Mabolo, Nance, dwarf acai, yellow grumichamma Duku Langsat
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2023, 01:20:20 PM »
durio chempedak seeds

Tropical Sunshine

• Coastal TX, USA zone 9B (down to zone 8A during a freak freeze!)
    • View Profile
That’s awesome that you have durio chempedak! I’m surprised Hawaii has many rare fruit genetics that you normally could only get in Southeast Asia. Years ago I could only dream of growing durio chempedak as only a few vendors from Borneo or Malaysia had them. Thanks for helping to circulate those rare genetics around the country! Variety is the spice of life as the old adage says...
Teach a man to fish, and he will be able to catch fish for life.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk