Author Topic: Planting fruit trees in groups  (Read 2859 times)

natsgarden123

Planting fruit trees in groups
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:34 AM »
My husband wants to "landscaping" - he wants to plant a grouping of fruit trees in an island-3 or 4 trees close together.  Has anyone done this? How close is too close?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Planting fruit trees in groups
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
Here's what I know (which isn't very much ???).  Dave Wilson Nursery in CA recommends as part of intensive home fruit gardening planting 3 or 4 varieties of their deciduous fruit trees in one big hole several inches apart, and then pruning each to remain the same size and growing away from the trunks to the outside.  I've seen other nurseries recommend doing the same with avocado trees.  I don't see why this couldn't be done with mango trees, as well, as long as they're cultivars that share similar growth habits, e.g., compactness or dwarfness.  I'll admit that I've haven't tried this myself yet.  And there's also the idea of a fruit hedge with trees that respond to that type of intensive pruning.
John

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »
Here's what I know (which isn't very much ???).  Dave Wilson Nursery in CA recommends as part of intensive home fruit gardening planting 3 or 4 varieties of their deciduous fruit trees in one big hole several inches apart, and then pruning each to remain the same size and growing away from the trunks to the outside.  I've seen other nurseries recommend doing the same with avocado trees.  I don't see why this couldn't be done with mango trees, as well, as long as they're cultivars that share similar growth habits, e.g., compactness or dwarfness.  I'll admit that I've haven't tried this myself yet.  And there's also the idea of a fruit hedge with trees that respond to that type of intensive pruning.

Inga fixes nitrogen, and is good to plant near other fruit trees, just not too close (but it can be coppiced, so maybe as close as u like.

Don't plant a sapodilla, tamarind, white sapote, black sapote, mango, and avocado in a small planting area.  Or you'll have a real crowded orchard.  These trees get big, somewhat quickly in some cases (5yrs or less).

here are some that can find a spot to flourish in a crowded garden,

Jaboticaba
miracle fruit
carambola
certain Garcinia

Good luck!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »
My husband wants to "landscaping" - he wants to plant a grouping of fruit trees in an island-3 or 4 trees close together.  Has anyone done this? How close is too close?

Dave Wilson Nursery has lots of good videos\
Plant 3 Fruit Trees In 1 Hole
Plant 3 Fruit Trees In 1 Hole

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaveWilsonTrees/videos?sort=dd&view=u&page=2

******FWIW I have five citrus trees planted close together..... 10 feet apart

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »
I have 3 lychees in one hole that seem to be growing great. From a distance you would never know there was mre than one tree there. Probably about 18" between them.

I also have peaches planted the same way.

My 2 jackfruit are only about 3ft apart as well.

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
Thanks for the info.  :) ill show this to my husband