Author Topic: OTT MANGO...?  (Read 10641 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
OTT MANGO...?
« on: June 18, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
Hi fellow members,

I started this thread to learn more about OTT mango...I done some research on this matter with google...with no luck :'(

Few gardenweb threads mentioned this mango.

Few things I know of this mango;

1. Dwarf growth habbit.
2. The fruits have similar coloration to that of Tommy Atkin's.
3. The flavor is good
4. I reckon it's a mono(not sure)

ps. I check out the ''The Ultimate Mango List'' which I am learning alot from...Thanks Murahilin for starting the thread and all members for helping to fill them spaces ;)
:) OTT is mentioned...but, very little info :'(  Hope this thread will help to fill that space.

Any info on OTT is really much apreciated. :) Thanks in advance ;)

Regards,
Steven
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: OTT MANGO...?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
Hi fellow members,

I started this thread to learn more about OTT mango...I done some research on this matter with google...with no luck :'(

Few gardenweb threads mentioned this mango.

Few things I know of this mango;

1. Dwarf growth habbit.
2. The fruits have similar coloration to that of Tommy Atkin's.
3. The flavor is good
4. I reckon it's a mono(not sure)

ps. I check out the ''The Ultimate Mango List'' which I am learning alot from...Thanks Murahilin for starting the thread and all members for helping to fill them spaces ;)
:) OTT is mentioned...but, very little info :'(  Hope this thread will help to fill that space.

Any info on OTT is really much apreciated. :) Thanks in advance ;)

Regards,
Steven

Tried it. Bland.

ianmaguire

• Tropical Fruit Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 08:21:37 AM »
We have OTT in the UF/IFAS/TREC mango collection in Homestead and I have pictures of it from a few seasons ago.
I'll make a run through there today and see what the status is and get back to you. I recall it as not that exciting but I have been surprised before as my taste for certain mangos can change season to season.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
I have tried Ott a few times and agree with Squam its a bland tasting mango. 

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
Come on Squam and SWRancher...Bland  :'( The vendor at the nursery said that they are good. No mango is bland..they must have some flavor.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
We have OTT in the UF/IFAS/TREC mango collection in Homestead and I have pictures of it from a few seasons ago.
I'll make a run through there today and see what the status is and get back to you. I recall it as not that exciting but I have been surprised before as my taste for certain mangos can change season to season.

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum :)

Awesome..thank you so much in advance :) looking forward ;) ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
Come on Squam and SWRancher...Bland  :'( The vendor at the nursery said that they are good. No mango is bland..they must have some flavor.

Sorry...the Otts I have tried had some flavor just not very much...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:22:32 PM by SWRancher »

ianmaguire

• Tropical Fruit Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
OOOOOoook! Here is the juice on the mango variety 'Ott'.
At TREC there is one tree that was planted in 1972 by the (Late and Great) Dr. Carl Campbell.
The tree is not so dwarf but has been topped and hedged on a regular basis but judging by trunk girth (lol)...it's not that gurthie for a 40 year old tree.

Excuse the out of focus fruit (that is not my style) but shot with my cellphone in the rain.

Yes it has the skin of a 'Tommy Atkins' but when ripe gets a much deeper red tone.

There was some jelly seed but only on one side...this is one I picked up off the ground and was tree ripened.

See the other side is good to go.....firm and meaty

FLAVOR and Texture:
1. Has a bit of a citrus-acidic sweet flavor (my wife said it was "like an orange")
2. The texture is firm but not much fiber

It's a pretty awesome mango and if picked at the right time (probably before it hits the ground) 'Ott' would be a very good mango to have in a back yard collection.
'Ott' is a pretty cool name for a mango and I would say it is underrated and has flown under the radar for too long.
Let me know if you want me to send you some...provide a FEDEX number and I'll work it out if I have time or if you want to make a trip South.

BTW this Forum KICKS ASS!

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
Great pics.  Like JF, i've been trying to get my hands on an Ott.  Mainly because it originated nearby in La Habra Heights, Ca. by William Ott www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mango.html  William Ott was also responsible for the Ott Cherimoya.  Dr. Richard Campbell said he'll send me budwood but I'm hesitant since I've had such poor success at grafting mango.

Greg
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:33:57 PM by Greg1029 »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 07:38:05 PM »
Hi Ian,

Great to hear! you are the only poster beside a young lady from the old GW forum who praised this mango. I was dismissed, by some of the experts who are now in this forum, for wanting to bring back this mango back to So.Cal. I also saw a video, from the Presidential Orchard in the Dominican Republic (in Spanish), where the Ott is highly valued.

Thank Again Ian!!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 10:21:16 PM »
Hi Ian,

Great to hear! you are the only poster beside a young lady from the old GW forum who praised this mango. I was dismissed, by some of the experts who are now in this forum, for wanting to bring back this mango back to So.Cal. I also saw a video, from the Presidential Orchard in the Dominican Republic (in Spanish), where the Ott is highly valued.

Thank Again Ian!!

I think that may have been a video I filmed about 3 years ago.
Cultivo de Mango parte 1 de 3
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 12:51:24 AM »
Hi Ian,

Thank Again Ian!!

I think that may have been a video I filmed about 3 years ago.
Cultivo de Mango parte 1 de 3

thanks tropicaldude that's the video.thanks for posting it.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 01:40:40 AM »
I been wanting to go back and do some more filming on Ex President Hipolitos Mejias orchard, but he was running for re-election, which he lost in May. I am just waiting  till things cool off, there has been a bit of in fighting in his party,  I also have to grafted Alphonsos waiting for me there.

I will have a new video up soon, I visited two commercial mango plantations last week, I just need to get to editing, as its a lot of footage.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 06:07:06 AM »
Hi Ian,
Thanks you for taking the time to post them pics and info ;) Hope mine get's as big as that 40 year old gentleman ;D 8)

I really enjoyed it :)...citrus-acidic sweet flavor''Orange'' and the texture is firm but not much fiber...my final verdict...It's a keerper...YIPPEE :) ;) Maha Chanok has nothing on this bad boy ::) ;D ;D ;D I hope Harry doesn't point he's Kalashnikov at me...ruuuuun ;D

With the help of this forum...the OTT mango shall not remain under the radar anymore. OTT mango will rise from the ashes like a phoenix :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Mr. Dominicana,
Thank you for posting this video about the mangos. I found this vid few months back when i was searching for vids on ''el cultivo de mango''. The gentleman in the video talks very high of OTT mango...awesome 8)

Muchas gracias.
Time is like a river.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 08:48:07 AM »
Thanks for the info and pictures of Ott mango Ian. I've enjoyed MANY of your pictures of the different Mango varieties. I also think its a cool name...short and sweet. It certainly is a very attractive looking mango and looks really good too!! ;D

Steven you will have to keep us in the loop on this one.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
Thanks for the info and pictures of Ott mango Ian. I've enjoyed MANY of your pictures of the different Mango varieties. I also think its a cool name...short and sweet. It certainly is a very attractive looking mango and looks really good too!! ;D

Steven you will have to keep us in the loop on this one.

Hi Nancy,
Will do so :)
Time is like a river.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 10:49:05 PM »
Tried the 'Ott' at the Fruit & Spice Park today.  First one was as bland as many have described.  Second one was actually pretty good, say a 7.5 on a 10-scale.  I'd give it a spot if you have room available.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »
Joe - did you get plant material or tree you were looking for?  I remember seeing Ott listed on Ong's nursery website as one he either carries or can order.
Tim

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »
I called Ong's last year and half of those mangos listed on the website they don't have and don't have access to.  I have no idea why they would list it if they don't have it but they do.

Greg

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 04:38:24 PM »
Tried the 'Ott' at the Fruit & Spice Park today.  First one was as bland as many have described.  Second one was actually pretty good, say a 7.5 on a 10-scale.  I'd give it a spot if you have room available.

Hi Fruitguy,
Thanks for your feedback :) 7.5/10  That's excellent 8)
Time is like a river.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Joe - did you get plant material or tree you were looking for?  I remember seeing Ott listed on Ong's nursery website as one he either carries or can order.

yea, I did get some budwood about a month ago but it did not take.

mangologist

• Capt Rico
    • View Profile
Re: OTT MANGO
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2023, 09:28:34 PM »
I 'm sorry I just found this thread so late.  I have a 25+ year old Ott mango tree.  As I recall it was the only Ott mixed in the a group of Dot mangoes, so I grabbed it.   I like the Ott, and I'm pleased I bought it.   First off it's not a dwarf.  I planted it next to a Florigon at the same time and they are just about the same size, 30'+.  Secondly the fruit has little to no fiber and has a nice mango flavor with a hint of citrus.  You might try ripening on the counter by picking a few days before it's ready, and possibly get the best flavor as with a few other mango cultivars.   My tree is moderately productive, with 3/4 lb fruit.  This year it was loaded until a freak hail storm battered my area a few weeks ago. About 80% of my mangoes from several trees hit the ground.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 11:23:28 PM by mangologist »

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2023, 11:27:54 PM »
Glad to hear this positive review from a registered Mangologist. That’s how you know it’s legit.  I have a seedling Ott mango tree that I will allow to fruit next year once it gets a little thicker and taller. It’s an interesting looking tree since the leaf petiole is noticeably longer than the leaves on my other mango trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk