Author Topic: Greenhouse within a greenhouse for ultratropicals?  (Read 1503 times)

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse within a greenhouse for ultratropicals?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2023, 04:09:22 PM »
Fruit nut,
I am very interested in your bees. I had looked at this a long time ago as an experiment for my passion fruit trellis. At the time I had major fruit fly infestation with my worm bin and also had a bit of a spill of vermicompost juice in my basement which stunk up my whole house. My wife was not a fan of more insect experiments so I decided to abandon the idea.

I can’t remember before if u told me the size of your gh? Do you have any good reading material on bumblebees? Any way of developing a stable population ina greenhouse? With the carpenter bees theyd produce offspring which need winter chill hours that I thought I could replicate in the fridge. And I think they live for longer than 5 weeks.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2023, 04:30:14 PM »
Would be cool to figure out bumblebees. You could get a nuc hive of honey bees and just let it die off or not let it grow bigger, I guess. They may swarm though, so, probably a little high risk for this particular set-up. A nuc can be had for $200-$300 and is pretty small, but will go get the job done. Just make sure you close the door to the GH when you have bees!

I am loving having a colony and it has become just as much a part of my garden as any other plant or maintenance job. Absolutely adore seeing them zoom around.

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 05:05:52 PM »
K,
Colony of honey or bumblebees? I’ve heard that honey bees swarm but others don’t? My outdoor garden is very much “native” focused so I try to creat habitats for non honeybee varieties.if u have a colony of bumblebees I’d love to hear your secrets.

I think I’ve got a new topic to discuss now

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2023, 05:17:50 PM »
K,
Colony of honey or bumblebees? I’ve heard that honey bees swarm but others don’t? My outdoor garden is very much “native” focused so I try to creat habitats for non honeybee varieties.if u have a colony of bumblebees I’d love to hear your secrets.

I think I’ve got a new topic to discuss now

I have honey bees. About to go into my first swarming season in about 3-4 weeks so hopefully I can capture them and make them mine again! Basically all honey bee colonies are guaranteed to swarm at some point.

Bumblebees are much smaller colonies, and live on the ground.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk