Author Topic: Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) cold tolerance  (Read 636 times)

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) cold tolerance
« on: March 11, 2023, 02:15:06 PM »
At what temperature does loquat not fruit? I heard if the temperature goes below -3 or -4 it doesnt fruit, is that true?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) cold tolerance
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 02:16:37 PM »
Itll survive down to 10fat least thats what mine took. Just problem is the flowers will freeze or not have enough time to mature is what Ive heard.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 08:59:11 PM »
I am in 9b and we get fruit probably 75% of the time. Some years it's too cold or rainy at the time it flowers and no fruit set, they get burnt off. Find late varieties if possible.

The tree does not blink at all at -3 or -4C, no damage whatsoever other than the blossoms / fruit sets.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 09:31:03 PM »
This past December cold snap caused my parents tree in Jacksonville to lose all its fruit. They hit 25 degrees for 2 nights in a row and were below freezing for 12+ hours at a time. The tree, itself, was fine.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 03:09:01 AM »
Heidelberg, Germany, 8a, maybe even 8b in cvery sheltered microclimates. Trees have not frozen since 2013 when we  had -15C C for weeks. Trees un sheltered locations alo g the river fruit quite well every year, trees in the city usuakky have only a few fruits exept after especially mild winters. The time of flowering is crucial. Trees which flower during the last warm autumn days set fruits but most trees flower in mid winter and need a lot of luck to hit a warm period. -5C can easily kill the flowers. The young fruits seem to be much more cold tolerant than the flowers.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 04:01:16 AM »
There's a large tree in Seattle's International District that reliably fruits every year, including last year after a winter low in the teens (my yard in a warmer part of the city was 16F/-8.5C), but it's so huge that I think it creates its own microclimate. Here are a couple photos I took when I was collecting seeds from the sidewalk:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 04:03:24 AM by drymifolia »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 01:24:06 PM »
There's a large tree in Seattle's International District that reliably fruits every year, including last year after a winter low in the teens (my yard in a warmer part of the city was 16F/-8.5C), but it's so huge that I think it creates its own microclimate. Here are a couple photos I took when I was collecting seeds from the sidewalk:

That's so rad! Love to see sub tropical stuff in the PNW. I know of a few loquats in Vancouver, BC but they have the same flowering during frost issues that I experience here - just worse. More like fruit 1/10 years. I've been trying to convince my parents to plant them around their lake property on the sunshine coast (don't know why it's called this, it rains a lot).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk