Author Topic: Oahu/Hl fruit question!  (Read 455 times)

fruithunterxox

• San Luis Obispo, CA
    • View Profile
Oahu/Hl fruit question!
« on: March 16, 2023, 02:43:53 PM »
Hello all,

I am going to be visiting the entire Oahu area in May. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some gummy worm fruit (cecropia). Perhaps a farm, grower, or somewhere wild?

Really looking forward to buying some while I am there!

Thanks!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Oahu/Hl fruit question!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 11:13:47 AM »
the only place or farm I know of that might have this fruit or know where you could find it would be Franks Nursery. Good luck

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 11:35:52 AM »
Surely you値l see it if you値l be all over Oahu. It is a weed tree in Hawaii, not worthy of propogation by a nursery.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 04:17:00 PM »
Surely you値l see it if you値l be all over Oahu. It is a weed tree in Hawaii, not worthy of propogation by a nursery.

I never found the edible cecropia fruit here (Puna area), we had a cecropia tree in the back that I cut down but the fruits were woody and not edible.

Maybe the edible ones are around but I haven't seen them, or maybe we just picked at the wrong time

fruithunterxox

• San Luis Obispo, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 09:36:26 PM »

Thanks! I will be driving across the entire island so I am hoping to be able to spot it. Was there a certain area that you've seen it in (if you've been)?

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 12:13:53 AM »

Thanks! I will be driving across the entire island so I am hoping to be able to spot it. Was there a certain area that you've seen it in (if you've been)?

Idk about Oahu but on Hawai'i I've only ever seen them Hilo side, so look in more wet areas.