Author Topic: Cannot get rid of this freaking fungus. Been two years...  (Read 557 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
Cannot get rid of this freaking fungus. Been two years...
« on: April 21, 2023, 11:40:11 AM »
Have a 7 year old Valencia Pride that stopped producing the last two years. Last year I noticed black spot fungus all over the leaves. I treated it with Copper and thought that would do it. Ok...this year it was still full of it and I read online I should have cut it out and also used Copper. So...I did. This year during bloom season (mine wasn't blooming). Cut about 50% of the tree back, everywhere I could see fungus. My problem is it keeps coming back and I keep cutting out. I keep spraying every month.
Should I just cut it back to the stump and let it grow again? Any suggestions?
Here are a couple pics.
Thanks

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot get rid of this freaking fungus. Been two years...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 05:16:39 PM »
Anyone?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 05:18:48 PM »
What are you spraying with and what method of delivery? If what you're spraying is brown, maybe that's what you're seeing as residue under the leaves?

I have had quite good luck using natural fungicides such as this one from Southern Ag.

https://southernag.com/product/garden-friendly-fungicide/

There are a few other natural fungicides that have different bacteria. It is worth a shot imo. It always seemed to take care of the problem. Had some severe issues on blueberries, and one pitanga, that was cured through using it.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 05:52:15 PM »
Looks like the dirt is sand. I would put compost and fertilizer on it. If it didn't have it before then maybe it's getting it because of stress. Copper should work pretty well on black rot.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 08:36:08 PM »
Thanks for not showing us your toes.
John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 09:01:08 PM »
The thread to post this question and pictures is::: 
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1001.2400

Only 97 pages... You might find the answer by just reading a few every night.

I live on sand 6 ft to water table so very different from your coral and small amount of sand. Someone living on coral might be of help.

I personally would not cut it back at least not stumping it, as the tree looks like it's growing pretty good and you just need nutritional/and or fungal advise probably. Trees normally try to grow back the following year after a greater than 50 percent canopy loss with little to no fruit while growing.

Hopefully someone in the keys will help you on nutritional elements commonly deficient there and fertilizers if any that might be needed for nitrogen and growth with a tree as large as yours.  I would be afraid to add nitrogen to a tree that large if your trying to get it to bear fruit vs. vegetative growth.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 09:02:58 PM by palmcity »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 01:26:28 AM »
before I looked at the pictures, I was thinking sooty mold (from some insect pooping honeydew on the leaves)  In which case you want to use a soap spray or other products to control the insect infestation (they are usually on the undersides of the leaves above) and stop the source of the honey dew.

Based on your picture perhaps it is something else.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 01:49:26 AM »
Try reliant systemic fungicide.