Author Topic: Rapid Passion Fruit Juicing - Need help  (Read 730 times)

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
Rapid Passion Fruit Juicing - Need help
« on: October 04, 2023, 05:09:33 PM »
So I got a bumper crop of Passion Fruit this year and need to juice approximately 100 lbs.  My experience with juicing large quantities is that it can be very laborious.  Has anyone discovered a creative way of rapidly juicing passion fruit?  Slicing them open and scooping out the jelly takes hours.  I have tried crushing them with an orange press juicer...no bueno.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Rapid Passion Fruit Juicing - Need help
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 06:01:48 PM »
Wow!  What a bumper crop!  I don't know of a faster way, but I found using a serrated steak knife makes cutting the fruit a lot easier.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard you can freeze the fruits whole so you don't have to juice all at once.  Don't know how practical it is to freeze 100lbs though.

Having too much of a good harvest seems a nice problem to have, good luck with your juicing.

Janet

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 07:17:27 PM »
Yeah, serrated knife is the way to go. Love my tomato knife. Batch it by cutting a bunch then scoop a bunch. If you're stuck removing the seeds with a strainer/food mill it helps to put the pulp in the blender at low speed first. The pulp separates when cooked (if you're canning)
- Val

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 08:07:37 PM »
I have a Champion Juicer that seems to work pretty well, it would grind and spit out the seeds no worries. Now, scooping the flesh out of the shells, I do not have an answer for how to make that any faster other than helpers.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 11:31:31 PM »
Use a shop vac with no filter, place plastic bag inside. Make sure the shop vac tubing and nozzle is not used on other stuff.

I would just use a paper cutter for cutting the tops. Then suck out the pulp with the vac.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 11:37:42 PM »
Thanks to those who provided pointers in juicing passion fruit.  My favorite suggestion was the shop vac.  ;D  In the end, with two people, it took 2 hours to cut and scrape jelly, and 2 hours to process the jelly for seed removal. 4 hours later, I have pure, unadulterated nectar. A couple picts of fruit everywhere and liquid gold. 

booeyschewy

• Bahia, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 11:58:58 AM »
Opening it I don’t know of any shortcuts. In Brazil we use a depulper machine with a special sieve. It’s the same machine for açaí guava cupuaçu etc just a smaller filter.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2023, 12:16:31 PM »
Excellent! So, each jar is like 33 fruits? I would hide that in the downstair fridge!

I actually like to keep pure pf juice, and also some frozen pulp/juice/seeds. The seeds have a lot of flavor; have found uses for them, such as providing some nice crunch when added to jerky. Seeds reportedly are nutrient rich as well (Vit A and C, mag, pot).

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2023, 01:46:11 PM »
I have a really high quality passion fruit I grew from seed. I am going to start propagating it. It is a yellow type selected from seedlings from a unknown Brazilian commercial variety. The pulp is filled +90% to the top of the fruit. Fruit size is medium to large, production is good, and flavor is better then most types i have tried.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 02:14:19 PM »
Excellent! So, each jar is like 33 fruits? I would hide that in the downstair fridge!

I actually like to keep pure pf juice, and also some frozen pulp/juice/seeds. The seeds have a lot of flavor; have found uses for them, such as providing some nice crunch when added to jerky. Seeds reportedly are nutrient rich as well (Vit A and C, mag, pot).

Each jar is the equivalent of 33lbs of fruit!  I too enjoy eating the seeds.  I still have many more passion fruit that I eat as snacks when I find them on the ground.  Always keep a blade handy for on the go fruit consumption. 

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 03:15:23 PM »

Each jar is the equivalent of 33lbs of fruit!  I too enjoy eating the seeds.  I still have many more passion fruit that I eat as snacks when I find them on the ground.  Always keep a blade handy for on the go fruit consumption.

Well worth the work, that stuff is the best. Enjoy =)

NZ, I have a similar type of large Brazilian passiflora from seed that is very good, big, and yellow. I call it Big Bird. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 03:17:10 PM by roblack »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 05:07:05 PM »

Well worth the work, that stuff is the best. Enjoy =)

NZ, I have a similar type of large Brazilian passiflora from seed that is very good, big, and yellow. I call it Big Bird.

Roblack,

Yeah the Brazilian Large Yellow type of Passiflora edulis genetics seem to be popular in Florida.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2023, 06:40:16 PM »
Have either of you tested these to see if they are self fertile?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2023, 08:03:50 PM »

I can tell you this I have 3 vines that are flowering from the same batch of seeds.

#1 will not set fruit on its own and is redish in color, I have to hand pollinate.

#2 seems to set fruit on its own redish fruit with bright orange pulp, however not every flower sets it may need some cross pollination. Also fruit like 60% on average with pulp.

#3 Yellow fruit that sets abundance, seems like every flower sets. Pulp +90%.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2023, 10:10:54 PM »

I can tell you this I have 3 vines that are flowering from the same batch of seeds.

#1 will not set fruit on its own and is redish in color, I have to hand pollinate.

#2 seems to set fruit on its own redish fruit with bright orange pulp, however not every flower sets it may need some cross pollination. Also fruit like 60% on average with pulp.

#3 Yellow fruit that sets abundance, seems like every flower sets. Pulp +90%.

Wow! That sounds like a real winner! Sounds like there is some purple in the parentage somewhere.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2023, 10:46:54 PM »
Yes so far this is the best seedling I have grown. I am about to harvest Passiflora maliformis for first time, so I will see how it rates compared to edulis.

I am going to probably cull or cut back and graft the other seedlings with the superior yellow one.

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2023, 10:11:20 AM »
I have a really high quality passion fruit I grew from seed. I am going to start propagating it. It is a yellow type selected from seedlings from a unknown Brazilian commercial variety. The pulp is filled +90% to the top of the fruit. Fruit size is medium to large, production is good, and flavor is better then most types i have tried.

When you do, Id buy a plant. Im in San Diego. I have grown to love passion fruit but haven't been able to grow a plant that produces anything better than Fredrick or purple possum. Giant granadilla doesnt make my winters despite no frost.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2023, 11:53:15 AM »
Yes so far this is the best seedling I have grown. I am about to harvest Passiflora maliformis for first time, so I will see how it rates compared to edulis.

I am going to probably cull or cut back and graft the other seedlings with the superior yellow one.

Please post your review of p. maliformis. I have a good sized vine in a pot. Do you know if they are self-fertile. Open to a trade.

On another note, drinking store bought passion fruit juice. It's really good, but nothing like fresh and pure juice.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2023, 06:11:40 PM »
I will do, it's still green right now. Not even sure what stage I use the fruit at.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk