Author Topic: Kumquat help needed.  (Read 392 times)

Altrexy

• USA, FL, Miami, 11A
    • View Profile
Kumquat help needed.
« on: October 20, 2023, 12:56:57 PM »
I bought a nagami kumquat tree is a couple months ago and it came loaded with fruit. I tried one and noticed it was extremely mealy. Not one drop of juice. I asked the lady who sold me the plant and was told they needed more time to ripen despite being pure vibrant orange. I believed her and theyíve now started to drop off the tree with the same mealy pithy insides. Perfect on the outside but juiceless on the inside. Anyone know what I can do or should do? I also tried one of the greener fruits thinking they were just overripe but it was similarly juiceless just more sour. Should I just remove all the fruits and trim back the plant to try and get another crop? Pictures below

-Alex. Planning for my grandkids

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Kumquat help needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 01:06:58 PM »
Are you sure those aren't Meiwa? Meiwa can be mealy especially if the fruit is left on too long it will get moreso.

Altrexy

• USA, FL, Miami, 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 01:15:15 PM »
I was told nagami and theyíre fairly sour and elongated so I think thatís right. No way to be sure though. Iím not so sure itís an issue with being left on the tree too long since I tried a couple green ones that were also pithy. I see a couple flowers so I think I should just get all the fruit off and trim back the leafless branches
-Alex. Planning for my grandkids

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 02:02:16 PM »
I think your tree is just not healthy or old enough. The leaves should be more green, maybe give it some fertilizer. In a few years your Nagami should give good tasting fruits. If you can put it in ground, it will grow much healthier and give lots more fruits that will taste good.

I grafted some Nagami last yar on my lime tree and it had fruits that tasted good (normal).

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 04:30:21 PM »
I believe SC4001992 gave the correct answer.  Your tree's fruit will get better and better every year.   The fruit of citrus trees requires age to produce quality fruit 5 years plus.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk