Author Topic: Looking to buy Bumper Satsuma trees.  (Read 943 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Looking to buy Bumper Satsuma trees.
« on: April 14, 2023, 01:00:13 PM »
I Killed mine this year in an outdoor zone 7 experiment. I need to get some more trees. Thanks for any help.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to buy Bumper Satsuma trees.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 05:57:59 PM »
Never heard of a Bumper Satsuma, is that a local name given to a Satsuma variety, I don't see it on the UCR CCPP database.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 03:17:48 PM »
This is one of the changsha×satsuma hybrids bred by Ying Doon Moy.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 09:13:47 PM »
Never heard of a Bumper Satsuma, is that a local name given to a Satsuma variety, I don't see it on the UCR CCPP database.
Man, Let me tell you these things are great. The problem is they are NOT cold hardy in Zone 7 without protection. Neither is Arctic Frost or Orange Frost. Bumper is super productive. I bought some Saxon and Becnel branded trees. The both died in the cold tolerance test and unfortunately I can't find any Saxon and Becnel sellers who have them or anyone else for that matter. I also couldn't get them to sell me any because I don't have a Nursery License.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 11:31:13 PM »

https://www.saxonbecnelandsons.com/exclusive-varieties

artic frost satsuma is more famous. Honestly "bumper" through me off too, a quick scroll I thought OP wanted some extra fruit. Learn something new every day lol

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 10:05:13 AM »
The Botanical Legacy of Ying Doon Moy

Thank You for this link. It was very inspirational to learn about the work of Ying Doon Moy.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 04:59:32 PM »
Pandan,thank you for the link. Now I know what a Bumper satsuma is.

Boris, I have never heard of any of Moy's citrus research/development work and varieties. He and his team did some great work on developing these cold hardy satsumas. The Bumper sounds like a winner.

I have this unknown (had the tree too long from my dad without asking the variety name) but it gets a large cluster of fruits, reminds me a grapes. Check out the photo below. Have 2 of these trees and we get about 500 ripe fruits from the trees every year, all seedless.