Author Topic: USDA Permit Question  (Read 1043 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
USDA Permit Question
« on: April 18, 2019, 01:26:16 PM »
I am in the process of renewing my USDA permit for the importation of plant material (not small lot of seed), and they now want me to list every scientific name that I may be importing. In the past I was able to have a blanket permit for all admissible nursery stock.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Here is the message the USDA sent me:

"Your application cannot be processed as presented. Applications require scientific names of the material intended to import. "Admissible nursery stock of seed and other plant material not subject to postentry quarantine or prohibited from various approved countries in accordance with 7 CFR 319.37" is not an acceptable scientific name."

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: USDA Permit Question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 02:31:13 PM »
Yes, I had that exact thing happen. My USDA "guy" even called me to explain it! He was actually quite helpful, and his recommendation was to decide what I wanted to bring in first, then apply for the permit specifically for those things.
I wound up not getting the permit since I didn't have specific plants in mind at that time.  I think the new stuff went into effect last spring.

Carolyn

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »
Also, I believe you can still carry 12 plants or less in your carry-on baggage, provided they meet the other requirements (can't be from certain countries, can't be species requiring quarantine, they have to have a phyto, etc.).

Carolyn

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 05:25:47 PM »
Yes, I had that exact thing happen. My USDA "guy" even called me to explain it! He was actually quite helpful, and his recommendation was to decide what I wanted to bring in first, then apply for the permit specifically for those things.
I wound up not getting the permit since I didn't have specific plants in mind at that time.  I think the new stuff went into effect last spring.

Carolyn

Thanks for the response. Glad to know it's just not someone denying mine due to laziness or ignorance. I've had my permits since 2008 but I let them lapse last year. I wonder if I would have been grandfathered in if I renewed on time last year.

I will probably hardly ever use this permit because I mostly import seeds and just use the small lot of seed permit for that.