Author Topic: At the end of my pole...Picking Lula Avocados in Late January.  (Read 1159 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
At the end of my pole...Picking Lula Avocados in Late January.
« on: January 24, 2023, 04:31:32 PM »
The mighty Lula tree in my neighborhood still has fruit at the top.  It was literally a stretch, but I managed to pick me a bucket!  I revere this tree.  I started picking in late September.
John

johnb51

• View Profile
Re: At the end of my pole...Picking Lula Avocados in Late January.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 04:33:52 PM »

Tree

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 04:46:34 PM by johnb51 »
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 05:20:24 PM »
My friends Lula tree was loaded this year. What a fantastic avocado.
The last ones got picked  a week ago
Is there a better tasting late season avocado?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 07:01:19 PM »
My friends Lula tree was loaded this year. What a fantastic avocado.
The last ones got picked  a week ago
Is there a better tasting late season avocado?
I'm starting to think there isn't a better tasting late season Florida avocado!  I'm going to do a review of Lula as soon as the ones I picked today are ready to eat.  Tom at Lazy Lizard Avocado Farm in Redland/Homestead says Lula is his favorite avocado.  (I know there are better tasting California ones, but that's a given. :) )
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 09:37:32 PM »
Congrats! You just picked close to $50 worth of avocados in January!

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 11:11:57 PM »
Lula avocado & I believe a bacon were my survivors from various diseases over the years.

I don't really do a proper fertilizing program with them.

The bacon rarely has an avocado. The lula is much more productive & I enjoy the taste. My lula looked smaller than yours picked but the bucket may be much smaller than mine for a reference.

This year I quit eliminating the rats/squirrels after Oct. 1 when mango season finished here; so the animals ate more than I this year and none made it to the end of Dec.

Agree, Lula seems to work for some South Florida avocados in the yard. I just wish my tree would grow faster and I also wish the fruit were larger.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 12:50:09 PM »
Congrats! You just picked close to $50 worth of avocados in January!
Easily, and much better than the Mexican avocados found in the supermarket!
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 12:56:18 PM »
This year I quit eliminating the rats/squirrels after Oct. 1 when mango season finished here; so the animals ate more than I this year and none made it to the end of Dec.
Agree, Lula seems to work for some South Florida avocados in the yard. I just wish my tree would grow faster and I also wish the fruit were larger.
Almost all of the fruit had squirrel damage.  And you're right about the size.  My neighbor has a tree, a seedling of Lula it seems, which has fruit double the size of Lula and of equal eating quality.  The only problem with the tree is that it's growing straight up like an avocado skyscraper!  We're going to try grafting it on to Monroe and see what happens, whether that will control the growth characteristics.  But the squirrels love that avocado, too.  We need to cut the squirrel population in half around here.  >:(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:03:48 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 01:51:36 PM »
Review of late-season Lula avocado:
Dense flesh.  Somewhat creamy, better than earlier in the season, but still a little watery at the stem end.  The flavor is sweet and mild--a very light cashew flavor.  Would I say it has more flavor than Monroe or Choquette?  Not really.  The seed is large.  Is it as richly flavored as a California avocado (such as Hass or Fuerte)?  Not by a mile.

I'd still like to taste the Kampong avocado that everyone raves about.  Also, Lara's Improved Pollock and Lolo out of Puerto Rico.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:51:36 PM by johnb51 »
John

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 01:58:07 PM »
We need to cut the squirrel population in half around here.  >:(

The tree in the first photo in this thread looks like a good candidate for some kind of squirrel prevention on the trunk, since it's standing alone, away from other trees, so if you can stop the squirrels from getting up the trunk they have no other way to get into tree. Maybe paint it with that super sticky stuff the rodents won't walk over? Or wrap in sheet metal for a few feet so they can't get a handhold or jump past it?

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 03:48:45 PM »
Your Lula avocadoes look amazing!  Normally the Lula I've bought have a lot of avocado scab but yours look very clean.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 02:48:17 PM »
We need to cut the squirrel population in half around here.  >:(

The tree in the first photo in this thread looks like a good candidate for some kind of squirrel prevention on the trunk, since it's standing alone, away from other trees, so if you can stop the squirrels from getting up the trunk they have no other way to get into tree. Maybe paint it with that super sticky stuff the rodents won't walk over? Or wrap in sheet metal for a few feet so they can't get a handhold or jump past it?
Thank you.  I'm going to work on squirrel deterrence this year.  Last year they got more than half the mangos on my neighbor's tree.
John

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 03:09:52 PM »
Those look amazing, thats a beautifful tree. Is the tree in someones yard or do you have problems when you pick fruit from random trees near peoples houses?
Thats a nice picking pole also!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 04:51:07 PM »
Those look amazing, thats a beautifful tree. Is the tree in someones yard or do you have problems when you pick fruit from random trees near peoples houses?
I live in a senior (55+) community so we only own the land up to 4 feet from our houses, and there are no fences.  Everything else is community common property, and fruit trees are fair game.  I picked at least a half-dozen buckets from that tree, and I never saw anyone else picking the fruit other than the squirrels.  The pole came from Amazon.
John

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 04:57:58 PM »
I live in a senior (55+) community so we only own the land up to 4 feet from our houses, and there are no fences.  Everything else is community common property, and fruit trees are fair game.  I picked at least a half-dozen buckets from that tree, and I never saw anyone else picking the fruit other than the squirrels.  The pole came from Amazon.
wow nice, ive seen such big ones/avocado in the stores here and they are quite pricey. I would also totally harvest all of them ,given the circumstances.