Author Topic: Canistel variety recommendation  (Read 2278 times)

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Canistel variety recommendation
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:25:49 PM »
Can anyone share their recommendation on the best tasting/producing canistel variety?

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: Canistel variety recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »
Not to get off subject and although I've never tasted it, Ross Sapote is supposed to be better tasting then any Canistel variety if you can grow it in your area. This seems to be the general consensus. 

But as far as Canistel goes, Trompo and Fairchild are top tier.  The trees both look very nice as well, although not to say that other varieties aren't ornamental.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »
Not to get off subject and although I've never tasted it, Ross Sapote is supposed to be better tasting then any Canistel variety if you can grow it in your area. This seems to be the general consensus. 

But as far as Canistel goes, Trompo and Fairchild are top tier.  The trees both look very nice as well, although not to say that other varieties aren't ornamental.

Are you referring to Fairchild2?  Can you comment on productivity for these two varieties?  Im growing all these along with Ross but haven't fruited them yet.  Definitely Trompo is a large beautiful fruit and I believe the tree is a more productive.
- Marley

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »
I have trompo, oro, and Fairchild 2.  The Oro is still too small to produce but the trompo and Fairchild2 both produce heavy crops.  I like the taste of the Fairchild 2 better and it has a much longer season at my house.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 03:29:34 PM »

Are you referring to Fairchild2?  Can you comment on productivity for these two varieties?  Im growing all these along with Ross but haven't fruited them yet.  Definitely Trompo is a large beautiful fruit and I believe the tree is a more productive.

Yes, Trompo is very productive.  As far as the Fairchild, I'm unsure of what I've tasted was labeled as 'Fairchild2' or not.

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »
Can anyone share their recommendation on the best tasting/producing canistel variety?

Hey I would give a call to Alex at Papaya tree nursery in LA. I was there late last year and had a conversation about Canistel and he swore he had a variety that was superior to a lot of California variety's.
Erik