Author Topic: Which fruit trees are likely to fruit from seed indoors in 3 years or less?  (Read 1927 times)

willpollinateforfood

• United States, Connecticut, USDA hardiness zone 6
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,
I live in Connecticut and am looking for some optimistic stories of people growing fruiting trees/plants from seed/young age and have had them set fruit in about three years or less. I am referring to container plants grown indoors for almost half of the year due to the cold temperatures outdoors. I am looking longingly at Garcinia intermedia (lemon drop mangosteen) and certain Eugenia species like the pitangatuba, and Ugni mollinae (Chilean guava), or the hybrid red jaboticaba. Can anyone point me towards a plant that can give me the unique joy of tasting a fruit that I could not otherwise purchase in a store?

Thanks!
Kelly

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
Psidium guayava, Rollinia deliciosa, Phaleria macrocarpa, Theobroma cacao, Theobroma bicolor, Passiflora sp....

Gouralata

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Many passifloras will fruit indoors in 2 years from seed.  Some white sapote cultivars will (you'd have to graft) -- Vernon and Nettie are precocious and will fruit in a year after grafting.  Same with some avocado cultivars (Lamb Hass, and maybe others), but avocado doesn't like being in a container for long.  Figs will fruit heavily within 3 years in a container (they sometimes fruit better when their roots are constrained).  Pomegranate will fruit within 3 years from cutting.  Babaco will fruit within 2 years from cutting.

ligant

• Poland, Zone 6b
    • View Profile
Lemon guava (Psidium cattleyanum var. littorale).
I sow seeds in 06.2015.
In 10.2017 first flowers and fruits ( but I had to cut them due to coming winter and therefore very low light levels )
Curently 2 small fruits and 2 flowers :)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
I apologize in advance if I seem to dissuade you but if you intend to grow tropicals in Connecticut you should look towards examples of success like large greenhouses located in similar zones. Even with that there is a learning curve with success and failure to experience for perhaps years. Growers far south of your climate have had failures of their systems and near complete setbacks.

Not to deny you the possibility, Kew gardens in England has grown tropicals for 100's of years. Members here do it. I just pity folks who buy a mango tree and expect to grow it on a windowsill, so do plenty of research and have fun realizing there will be ups and downs. Same thing for me in zone 10A/B, I'm taking some chances.

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
Logee's is located in CT, you may want to drive over and see if they can give you some prescriptive advice for what you're trying to do (and pick up some tiny plants?). I'm not sure if all of their tropicals are grown in CT, but they have videos of live Cacao and Cinnamon in greenhouses, for instance.

willpollinateforfood

• United States, Connecticut, USDA hardiness zone 6
    • View Profile
The coincidence Logee's was brought up is great! I am headed there this weekend. I will let everyone know what I bring home.

lordkiwi

• USA Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Dwarf June Plum Spondias dulcis.  Can under optimal conditions fruit from seed in 6 months.   And I can confirm the start I bought from Logee's I bought June 2017 set its first fruit by fall.  The fruits did not develop in the house but I still count it as a success.  I suggest you use Logees notify me feature they come back into stock frequently.

Received a 2.5" pot with a 3" twig in June

This was the plant by Nov 17

today