Author Topic: Sanford Curafora  (Read 2662 times)

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Sanford Curafora
« on: August 28, 2021, 09:04:55 AM »
Besides my Sanford Curafora planted 2020 in ground, I still have one in a pot, which flowered and set two fruits.
When I snipped with the nail along the fruit it smelled a little bit bitter and strong. Now I fear that the taste is perhaps not so good concerning edibility ?
Who cultivates Sanford Curafora, tasted the fruits and can give some informations to fruit specification and taste ?
Thank you Frank

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
Re: Sanford Curafora
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 04:18:33 AM »
I bought mine in 2018 and it came with one overripe fruit that still tasted ok. It did not fruit in 2019. In 2020, it set one beautiful fruit but as of now, the fruit is still green and rock hard. There is something odd going on with my plant.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 10:18:48 AM »
Thanks Florian for your information, so I' m glad to hear the fruit seems to be good tasting. For your plant I wish you good luck that the fruits still get ripe. The fruits of mine are still very small, lets see how they grow ? Climate conditions this summer are not very favorable in Germany.
Regards Frank

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 09:52:57 AM »
There are also 2 green fruits on my curafora, which have been hanging for over a year now.... one and a half minimum, if not more

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 12:26:41 PM »
Hello Mikkel, how big are your fruits, do you have pictures ?
1 1/2 year ? Thats longer than grapefruits  ???
Thanks for your experience  :).

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 02:12:11 PM »
It is the first time that it lasts so long. Usually they are ripe in winter.
They have the size of a small mandarine. They could be bigger, but my tree is small.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 02:06:54 AM »
Thank you Mikkel, If I understand right you already had fruits on your smal tree, did they taste good ?

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 05:25:36 PM »
I have a Sanford Curafora tree. Fruits ripen in early spring. Taste is mandarinelike and good. My tree stands in a shadowy position now. It is still abandontly flowering but fruits do not really want to ripe. I think it just needs more sun.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 01:58:30 AM »
Thank you Till, so I think for my two fruits I still have to be patient with harvesting, but I' m happy to hear the fruits are good. Also curious how my Sanford in ground will master her second winter 🤔, while the recovering was extremely good.
Best regards Frank

Florian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 02:33:28 PM »
Here's my one fruit. It looks more yellowish on the photo than it actually is.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 04:29:27 PM »
Florian, when you slice the fruit open it would be nice if you would put a picture of the insides on this thread.  Thanks

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 04:30:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing Florian, looks pretty good, encouraging. I always find photos of blooms and fruits wonderful in our wonderful citrus compassion  8)

Florian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 07:15:59 AM »
Florian, when you slice the fruit open it would be nice if you would put a picture of the insides on this thread.  Thanks

Here you go, Millet. I picked it because there were a few soft spots on the fruit. I was able to peel it but it wasn't as easy as with a regular clementine. The taste was mainly sour, a little sweetish and also slightly bitter. Given the disadvantages, I cannot really recommend it.

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »
Florian, it can get completely sweet. You probably know my post https://citrusgrowersv2.proboards.com/thread/136/curafora-oe

But yes, the variety has weaknesses especially that it ripens too late. Your fruit looks good but it probably needs some more months to get sweet. Sanford Curafora has a certain hardiness but needs more warmth than your climate provides to produce good fruit. So it is a somewhat unbalanced compromise: Hardy but not hardy enough for zone 6b or 7, tasty but not fast enough for zone 6b or 7. Who looks for a hardy plant will not be content. Who lives in warm climate and does not care about hardiness will have better varieties. Yet, I would say it is a good archievement on the way to tasty and hardy citrus plants. And it is pretty beautiful and very well smelling.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 03:45:20 AM »
interesting informations, up to now I can confirm very good frosthardyness and very strong revitalization ( with passive protection supported last winter -16 ° Celsius with about 50% twig damage, but came back in summer to about 3 times size as before winter).
A second plant in pot had a fruit and this shows also the slow development of fruit ripening.
Curious how the in ground planted will manage the 2 nd winter and if now there will be a chance of flowers and fruits ?

Florian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 04:03:49 AM »
Till, yes I think it is a very attractive tree which is why I bought it. But as you say, it is not coldhardy enough for 6b/7 and people in warmer zones have much better options. Even if the plant was hardy enough, the fruits would freeze long before the plant.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 08:21:22 AM »
The only cod hardy citris I can plant would lose its fruit to freezing 1-2 months before first picking.

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 01:54:16 PM »
Tedburn, what I can confirm is that the leaves are very hardy. They were full of dark green somewhat glassy botches after a few days of -8°C (17,6°F). But very soon they regained their normal color and survived unharmed. Well, -8°C is not really deep frost  but the behavior of the leaves showed to me that they have a unusual / special ability to recover.
Thanks for sharing your experience with -16°C (3,2F°). A lot may again depend on the special conditions. Passive protection is certainly much better than none.
The fruits, by the way, are kept throughout winter and continue growing the next year. My experience with hardy citrus is still limited but this seems to be a rare feature of Poncirus hybrids. My Morton, Trifeola, (pure) Poncirus and Batumi Citrumelo trees drop the fruits in autumn or early winter no matter whether they are ripe or not. Ok, Keraji Mandarine also keeps the fruits throughout winter. But it is not a Poncirus hybrid.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2022, 04:15:50 AM »
My Sanford in pot dropped one of four fruits from spring bloom. I always thought they won ' t ripe the same year, but this one was already not too bad. I pressed the fruit and the juice was nice after breakfast, a good mix of sour and mandarin flavour not too bad for a very frost harday and fast growing citrus hybrid. Hope my in ground Sanford will bloom next year too.