Author Topic: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order  (Read 35325 times)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order
« Reply #400 on: January 24, 2023, 06:51:13 PM »
Looks great onur

Would you keep those openings for ventilation or close them completely?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 24, 2023, 06:56:02 PM »
I would close and watch for mold, if mold starts i would open

nrh

• SF Bay Areas
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 24, 2023, 06:56:03 PM »
Hi Bill

My trees don't look alive. None of them has a green graft. it looks like they were scratched to check if the grafts were still alive before they were shipped. I wish you sent me at least one alive tree...

I did lots of preparations, even built a greenhouse, and at the end... Got dead trees !

Sorry Onur, but that is really not appropriate.  Bill is doing this all for the good of the community.  No one is out to pick on you. 

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 24, 2023, 07:32:13 PM »
Hi Bill

My trees don't look alive. None of them has a green graft. it looks like they were scratched to check if the grafts were still alive before they were shipped. I wish you sent me at least one alive tree...

I did lots of preparations, even built a greenhouse, and at the end... Got dead trees !

Sorry Onur, but that is really not appropriate.  Bill is doing this all for the good of the community.  No one is out to pick on you.

Ok. I will remove it then ! I know it was a huge work. And, I didn't say Bill did it...

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 24, 2023, 07:34:32 PM »
I would close and watch for mold, if mold starts i would open

Thank you.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 24, 2023, 09:00:41 PM »
Mold on the yangmei covered in plastic with condensation can develop within a day.  I lost several trees because if this on the first buy. 

If you wrap in buddy tape it is difficult to unwrap without damaging the buds if it’s been on the branches for an extended period of time.  Also, once you remove the buddy tape it’s important to maintain high humidity for the tree.  The newly emerged leaves will dry out once you remove the tape without compensating for the change in humidity.

Once leaves start growing it’s important to slowly transition to any changes in humidity, temperature, light, etc.  Decrease humidity in increments over a few weeks.  If you put your trees outside after leaves have grown, watch for caterpillars, especially at night.  I lost a tree that was looking pretty good due to caterpillars.  I thought I got them all, but they were relentless.

Best of luck to everyone!

Janet

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 25, 2023, 10:38:20 AM »
Mold on the yangmei covered in plastic with condensation can develop within a day.  I lost several trees because if this on the first buy. 

If you wrap in buddy tape it is difficult to unwrap without damaging the buds if it’s been on the branches for an extended period of time.  Also, once you remove the buddy tape it’s important to maintain high humidity for the tree.  The newly emerged leaves will dry out once you remove the tape without compensating for the change in humidity.

Once leaves start growing it’s important to slowly transition to any changes in humidity, temperature, light, etc.  Decrease humidity in increments over a few weeks.  If you put your trees outside after leaves have grown, watch for caterpillars, especially at night.  I lost a tree that was looking pretty good due to caterpillars.  I thought I got them all, but they were relentless.

Best of luck to everyone!

Janet

Fellow Fallbrooker here-I wrapped mine in buddy tape but I assumed the point of buddy tape is that you don't have to remove it, that the buds will break through and eventually the tape disintegrates?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 25, 2023, 10:44:15 AM »
in an ideal world yes-

in practice it sort of fuses with the bark and can get messy

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 25, 2023, 12:07:56 PM »
just to recap I'm not in the group buy but I'd like to know what to do in the future, been researching bare-root practices a bit and this is what i've got so far from a bunch of google searching and youtube videos; anything anyone disagrees with?

1) Soak whole tree in water for up to 1 hour, soak roots alone for longer, up to overnight
2) Prune large side branches if there are any
3) 85% RH  (apply buddy tape now/I assume buddy tape wouldn't be needed if you have controlled environment?)
4) Shady/Cool place

I've also read that some people swear by mycorrhizal root dips as a way to better your odds, best of luck everyone!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:10:30 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 25, 2023, 12:14:14 PM »
just to recap I'm not in the group buy but I'd like to know what to do in the future, been researching bare-root practices a bit and this is what i've got so far from a bunch of google searching and youtube videos; anything anyone disagrees with?

1) Soak whole tree in water for up to 1 hour, soak roots alone for longer, up to overnight
3) 85% RH  (apply buddy tape now/I assume buddy tape wouldn't be needed if you have controlled environment?)
4) Shady/Cool place

I've also read that some people swear by mycorrhizal root dips as a way to better your odds, best of luck everyone!

Im not so sure about soaking the whole tree, could potentially mess with or rot the graft unions, just speculating. and you would have to wait for them to completely dry before putting on buddy tape of the whole tree were soaked, you dont want them to mold and rot out. I think soaking the roots for a hour or so and leaving the tops dry and wrapped with buddy tape would make sense to be the best practice? Im just speculating on that claim.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 25, 2023, 12:15:48 PM »
Found this:
Ronnie Demler
October 22, 2022  ·
So I contacted a Chinese yangmei researcher about the rapid die off that many of us experience with our seedlings. I described the symptoms and included several pictures. Here is her response:

Dear Ron,

Good morning!

Letter received! Myrica rubra likes acid yellow soil. If the soil is too fertile, for example, the nitrogen and phosphorus content is high, it is easy to die. The main symptom of your bayberry death is that the nutrient matrix is not suitable.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 25, 2023, 12:20:17 PM »
Found this:
Ronnie Demler
October 22, 2022  ·
So I contacted a Chinese yangmei researcher about the rapid die off that many of us experience with our seedlings. I described the symptoms and included several pictures. Here is her response:

Dear Ron,

Good morning!

Letter received! Myrica rubra likes acid yellow soil. If the soil is too fertile, for example, the nitrogen and phosphorus content is high, it is easy to die. The main symptom of your bayberry death is that the nutrient matrix is not suitable.

Does the researcher mean yellow like on the PH scale?

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 25, 2023, 12:25:04 PM »
Found this:
Ronnie Demler
October 22, 2022  ·

Dear Ron,

Good morning!

Does the researcher mean yellow like on the PH scale?

I would assume it to be acidic soil over neutral or alkaline

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 25, 2023, 12:27:03 PM »
yea i meant acidic, havent heard the term acidic yellow tossed around before.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 25, 2023, 12:40:14 PM »

4) Shady/Cool place

Im not so sure about soaking the whole tree, could potentially mess with or rot the graft unions, just speculating. and you would have to wait for them to completely dry before putting on buddy tape of the whole tree were soaked, you dont want them to mold and rot out. I think soaking the roots for a hour or so and leaving the tops dry and wrapped with buddy tape would make sense to be the best practice? Im just speculating on that claim.

mm the messing with the graft make a lot of sense, I was reading a post on a different forum from someone that claimed they sell bareroot trees (hibiscus) internationally for a living where he says to leave the roots to sit for a looong time/overnight and not dunk the trees, but this other guy that runs a farm on youtube dunks his whole tree for 2-3 hours and then plants directly in ground so I kinda combined them

The buddy tape is accomplishing the same thing as dunking right, rehydration? I was thinking the trunk would probably be 'dry' enough to wrap by the time its situated in soil or maybe 30 mins after, I'm really interested in the mycorrhizal route because they keep advertising "for bareroot transplant"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:42:06 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 25, 2023, 12:42:36 PM »
I think the yellow more refers to the soil color-

there are red or grey clays and it looks like with a quick google acidic clay will turn yellow

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 25, 2023, 12:53:14 PM »
I think yellow soil may be fancy talk for high iron content -- Lychees and Yangmei grow prolifically along the same Yangtze river, lychees are infamously known for their low pH requirements/high iron needs?

I'd treat it like a lychee and see what happens, yangmei even shares all 4 provinces of china that lychees are found in!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:55:07 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 25, 2023, 12:59:29 PM »
tru, I hope your're right about yangmei and lychees. I have a very strong growing lychee tree which gives lots of fruits, I think I will plant a few of these yangmei in ground next to it.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 25, 2023, 01:06:47 PM »
Kankan, I have not found the buddy tape to disintegrate even after a year.  If you use several layers to wrap tightly when grafting it will girdle your plant, so it's important to remove it after a few weeks and rewrap with flagging tape, rubber bands, etc. I was following Simon's advice to remove the buddy tape after buds start to grow, but some fragile buds ended up coming off with the buddy tape and did not regrow.

I'm not sure about the advice to cover plants with plastic.  I followed that advice with the first buy from Beicadad, and as I mentioned mold grew quickly.  For Bill's first buy, I thought I made sure to add enough ventilation but same problem and mold grew.  I was checking them often so I did not lose plants to mold on that round.

I kept my plants on heat mats and used a diffuser for humidity and initially got several leaves to grow, but challenges came when I took them off the heat and turned off the diffuser.  So I learned they really need to transition slowly to give time to acclimate to different conditions. 

For soil and fertilization, I recommend using any fertilizer in diluted strength and test on one plant only.  I was really surprised that one of my plants that I thought was growing well died after feeding with beneficial soil microorganisms and mycorrhizae. 

One of the challenges with soil mix containing peat and/or wood products (pine bark, aged or composted forest products) contained in most bagged potting soil is that once it gets too dry it will become hydrophobic and will not absorb water.  I did an experiment where I filled a container with dried peat on the bottom half and peat that was soaking in water for several hours on the top.  After several waterings the bottom half remained dry.  This may not be an issue for areas that get consistent rain, but for me in SoCal, it matters a lot.  So I recommend adding something to your growing medium that absorbs water so you know your containers are absorbing water readily. I use finely ground coir that has been rinsed of salts and pH balanced, crushed granite or course sand.  I also, add pumice, kanuma, and kiryu to acidify and aid air flow.

I received my plants in the mail on Monday and they looked pretty dry and somewhat shriveled.  I cut off all the damaged roots and trimmed the branches to live growth and only sealed the ends of the cuts with buddy tape.  Soaked the roots in seaweed and fertilizer with micronutrients and planted them.  Then I filled a sprayer with rainwater, seaweed extract, humic substances, and AEA's planter solution.  I misted all the branches every hour or so the first day and I will continue to mist them a couple of times a day.  This morning the plants are looking way better and the branches aren't shriveled anymore.  I am not covering my trees with buddy tape because I want to be able to consistently spray the branches to feed and hydrate until they develop a strong enough root system to take up water and nutrients through their roots. 

I have my trees outside amongst ferns, palm trees, and other potted plants to protect them and provide humidity.  Bill sent me pics of trees he planted directly into the ground on the recommendation of his friend and they are growing fine.  He gets a lot colder than me, so I'm just keeping them outside to make less work for myself and hopefully less stress on the trees because I won't have to move them.  Besides, I have all my heat mats and grow tents inside taken up with other plants.

Janet

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:10:55 PM by JCorte »

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 25, 2023, 01:24:17 PM »
Couple of my trees from last group buy.

Janet

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 25, 2023, 01:37:50 PM »
tru, I hope your're right about yangmei and lychees. I have a very strong growing lychee tree which gives lots of fruits, I think I will plant a few of these yangmei in ground next to it.

Please don't take my word alone because there are people here with tons more experience, according to May 2021 thread people are saying that yangmei have very low salt tolerance & grow in a region with soil pH of 4-6, just like lychees

I don't wanna give false hope, does seem like things are adding up though!

Janet they are beautiful!!!!!
instagram @trumansacco

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 25, 2023, 09:31:49 PM »
I think yellow soil may be fancy talk for high iron content -- Lychees and Yangmei grow prolifically along the same Yangtze river, lychees are infamously known for their low pH requirements/high iron needs?

I'd treat it like a lychee and see what happens, yangmei even shares all 4 provinces of china that lychees are found in!
We have relatively high Ph here in San Diego and my lychees grow just fine on "city water" about 7.5, the only variety that I have that likes 5.5-6.5 Ph is the "Emperor variety. I also have real good mulch from the dropped leaves and the leaves are all nice and green.

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 26, 2023, 10:26:42 AM »
Lets see if we can get any to survive!, will remove the buddy tape as soon as I see any buds swell. I know many will die off so im setting expectations low, but If I can have a few females and a few males survive a couple years, then I would consider it a win. Long road ahead

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 26, 2023, 10:49:55 AM »
Wow, that’s a lot of plants you have there. Good luck with them! You’ve got an awesome looking setup!

Simon

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 26, 2023, 10:56:43 AM »
yeah the GH looks slick thesimsdude