Author Topic: Different New Mango Leaves  (Read 1182 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Different New Mango Leaves
« on: July 24, 2022, 06:17:56 PM »

Honey Kiss

Orange Sherbet
Isn't it crazy how different they are?
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Different New Mango Leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 07:38:08 PM »
They are clean and perfect looking though

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 08:27:07 PM »
They are clean and perfect looking though
I'm in the Magic Zone, 2.2 mi. from the ocean. ;D
John

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 12:09:03 AM »
My several mango cultivars all make new leaves that look weird, droopy, and of a lighter yellow-green or bronzy color when they first start to expand.  Later those new leaves mature, harden up, and look like the rest of the leaves on the tree.

It's just a habit that mangoes exhibit insofar as I can tell.

OK — HTH

Paul M
==

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 08:26:27 AM »
A mango tree with red leaves.

John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 10:30:01 AM »
The leaves on my seedling Orange Sherbet continue to puzzle me.  The brown color.

John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 11:01:27 AM »
What's really pretty is when you see a row of 10 trees that are not of the same variety but different types of mango trees lining the row that are putting out new growth. Then you have the opportunity to see, reds, yellow, light green, etc. and the look can be very similar to fall in places like North Carolina with the changing of the leaves color in the fall. But the good thing is we can occasionally get it 2 to 3 times a year with growth flushes...

So, if you are just starting your tree planting you might want to disperse the varieties in varying locations if you enjoy the beauty of colors through out the year.

Amy K

• FL zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 01:40:37 AM »
The leaves on my seedling Orange Sherbet continue to puzzle me.  The brown color.

My unknown seedling also have dark brown color. I wonder what could it be. 

Also, its ok to grow mango this close to your house? Mine is still in container. I thought of planting it many times but it would have to be close to my house like this.

Vic8361

• Port Saint Lucie Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 08:24:57 AM »
Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet came from Lemon Merengue and it' a polyembryonic tree, could be you can have the next winner hear. 
Hopefully that's the case  :)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »
Also, its ok to grow mango this close to your house? Mine is still in container. I thought of planting it many times but it would have to be close to my house like this.

If your house is on a poured slab foundation, I would not put an in-ground mango (or any other potentially large tree) that close. You'd be fine with it that close for several years, but in the coming decades the roots could cause real issues. Cutting it down, once it's big, could also potentially destabilize the foundation once all the roots eventually rot.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 10:07:54 AM »
Thanks for the concerns about my house's foundations.  Unfortunately I live in a senior community, and we only own four feet from our house (although there is ample common space and I'd love to have my trees 10 or 12 feet from my house). The current HOA board is a nasty group that loathes fruit trees.  I intend to keep my trees at 10 feet tall and see what happens.
John

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 10:41:40 AM »
Thanks for the concerns about my house's foundations.  Unfortunately I live in a senior community, and we only own four feet from our house (although there is ample common space and I'd love to have my trees 10 or 12 feet from my house). The current HOA board is a nasty group that loathes fruit trees.  I intend to keep my trees at 10 feet tall and see what happens.
I was reply to Amy's question about the tree proximity, but I understand and would be doing the same thing as you, John. I've lived in my share of HOAs, hated nearly all of them. If it's a house you don't care about long-term, plant away without a second thought (well, I'd still put thought into any underground water, sewer, gas, power & irrigation lines that might be effected by the root system).

Amy K

• FL zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 02:35:15 PM »
I was reply to Amy's question about the tree proximity, but I understand and would be doing the same thing as you, John. I've lived in my share of HOAs, hated nearly all of them. If it's a house you don't care about long-term, plant away without a second thought (well, I'd still put thought into any underground water, sewer, gas, power & irrigation lines that might be effected by the root system).

Thank you for clarifying. I'll keep them in container after all. But if it is possible to keep them in just 10ft tall. I wonder if I can plant it near the fence in my backyard instead. Like 4 feet away from the fence. I'll have to think more about the consequences lol.