Author Topic: New tropical fruit gardener  (Read 561 times)

Asifh

• Michigan
    • View Profile
New tropical fruit gardener
« on: July 27, 2022, 07:43:27 PM »
Hello guys I’m new to this forum! I’m very interested in growing tropical fruits, which is something new to me. If anyone can send me a free grumichama seed to try, since I’m kind of interested in them. Haha I don’t know but it would be nice if anyone could ship to me!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: New tropical fruit gardener
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 08:16:58 PM »
Try out Farwellfruitfarm.com for grumichama seeds - they also have many other species. They're cheap.

Michigan is cold so you'll need to grow these species indoors as soon as you're getting into about 40f. I would read up on grow tents, LED lights, etc as well if you really want success in your climate.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 07:00:37 PM »
Grumichamas can get rather large in comparison to other Eugenia species. It is not the best for container culture, which is why I have never added one to my collection. You can grow one in a container but be prepared to stay on top of it to both keep its growth in check and give it the nutrients required for it to successfully fruit for you. Surinam cherry (Eugenia uniflora) and pitangatuba (Eugenia selloi) are better for beginners to try to grow as container plants, in my opinion, at least among the common Eugenias. Pitangatuba is an especially good plant as it does not grow large and can be kept in a container for a long time. Seeds for all of these Eugenias can be easily found online, both on the Forum and elsewhere, and are inexpensive to purchase.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 11:11:02 PM »

Grumichama is not too hard to grow up north. It does well in a pot for me. It is vigorous though. The fruit is decent. Nothing worth making it a top tier fruit by any means.