Author Topic: Tropical fruit in Pot  (Read 1186 times)

Asifh

• Michigan
    • View Profile
Tropical fruit in Pot
« on: August 02, 2022, 01:03:34 PM »
Hey guys what is the best tasting tropical/subtropical fruit grown in container which will fruit in under three to four years?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical fruit in Pot
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 01:21:10 PM »
Eugenias. Cherry of the Rio Grande, Eugenia Calycina, Pitanga / surinam cherry, etc.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 01:36:50 PM »
Get yourself some jaboticabas the scarlet, red, and anomaly are pretty fast grafted and should fruit that fast if grafted.
muntingia calabura is a good one but the fruits taste bad for me they are way too sweet.
Pineapples work
a lot of eugenias work as well as mentioned by K-rimes. I don't like the taste of surinam cherry though and its hit or miss unless you get a grafted one.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 04:07:22 PM »
Eugenias. Cherry of the Rio Grande, Eugenia Calycina, Pitanga / surinam cherry, etc.

Mine is about 6' tall and in a wine barrel, and is 9+ years old. In that time, I've gotten less than 20 fruits.
It's in a semi shady spot. Do you have any tips for what I can do to increase the yield?

Thanks,

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 04:08:10 PM »
Hey guys what is the best tasting tropical/subtropical fruit grown in container which will fruit in under three to four years?

I get a few sugar apples every year from mine.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 04:33:38 PM »

Mine is about 6' tall and in a wine barrel, and is 9+ years old. In that time, I've gotten less than 20 fruits.
It's in a semi shady spot. Do you have any tips for what I can do to increase the yield?

Thanks,

Graft another type onto it or find it a friend. Mine produced poorly til I grafted Ben's Beaut, ScottR's, and put an El Dorado seedling beside it. Was overwhelmed with abundant fruit this year off of my main one. The El Dorado flowered for first year and produced probably 20 fruits at 3 years old. I also grafted Kevin Jones garnet onto it.

They are easy to graft, cleft is fine. I am 100% success rate on grafting it, never had one fail. I think the healing / shedding bark aspect makes things easier or something.

Mine are both in unrelenting full sun, 100f+, and also take below 30f annually.

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 01:40:25 PM »
in my experience, it doesn't matter whether it's in a pot or in the ground. All that matters is how much space does it have to grow (i.e. pot size), soil quality (use a good mix for pots), placement (max direct sunlight), and the most important, graft or air-layered.

with that said, just plant whatever you like, just bear in mind that it will not grow as tall as in the ground unless you use a really big pot. Also, take into consideration that as your soil is contained, you will need to add nutrients to it every now and then.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 03:22:40 PM »
add dragon fruit and air layered wax apple to that list.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 03:55:37 PM »
Taste is subjective but some tropical/subtropical stuff I have fruiting right now I grow in 3-5 gallon containers:

Mexican guavas, I bought a rooted cutting that was a foot tall and now have about 6 fruits ripening on 3 branches in a 3 gallon container fruited in the spring when I bought it.

Feijoas fruiting now after 2 years. Really fast growing but they do need chill hours, I had to up pot to 5 gallons.

Meiwa kumquat, in my experience, smaller citrus fruit like kumquats or key limes work well in a container because they give a lot of fruit (40+ fruits in a 3 gallon). And you can eat the whole fruit peel and all.

A little more difficult but passion fruit in pots work for me, but they need something to climb. I have to wrap the vines back into the container and bring the whole thing inside which is not ideal but I get 30+ fruit in a 3 gallon. Need to up pot these to 5 gallon soon.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 06:42:56 PM »
I’ve seen a potted dwarf durian tree in the Philippines that fruits.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 09:26:44 AM »
Bell Starfruit is self pollinating and will produce well. Fruit quality is good but mediocre when compared to other tropical fruits.

Paradise Redefined

• Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 06:46:57 PM »
I've had success with Chilean guavas (ugni molinae) I Planted a 3" potted seedling into a 5 gallon pot last June and it's already fruiting this year. It's over a foot tall and I have taken over a dozen cuttings of it. They didn't even blink at my 24°f winter low unprotected. I'm waiting patiently for October to try the ripe berries.