Author Topic: Trifoliate orange  (Read 1282 times)

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Trifoliate orange
« on: September 18, 2022, 08:23:22 PM »
Trifoliate root stock in my dad's yard is disease free no greening or other disease. Other citrus in bad shape. Sugar bell is pretty good but not nearly like trifoliate. Fruit is not as bad as I thought though does have a faint weird taste that isn't good.

I wouldn't mind some seeds of some good hybrids. It seems everyone's hybrids on here are with other low quality cold tolerant citrus. If only satsuma or Meyer lemon or a tangelo like honey bell were in the mix.

Once you eliminate the off flavor being slightly bitter is not bad. Could make a lemonaid type drink. Or cross it with the Dunstan hybrid which tastes close to a grapefruit. Would be interesting most citrus here died but a few sour oranges and low quality types are healthy. Sugar bell is mostly healthy but not entirely but at least it has really good fruit.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Trifoliate orange
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 10:02:43 PM »
I think Swingle citrumelo is a decent lemon. I’ve made lemon pie with it. I drink poncirus lemonade. I just boil the juice and siphon off the bitter oil after it settles out in a jar in fridge overnight. Then freeze the juice in one cup freezer containers. I mix one cup of processed poncirus juice to a full size orange juice decanter and add nine truvia packets and stir. I have an orange juice glass of this lemonade every morning with breakfast.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 10:28:39 PM »
Jared made juice with the trifoliate orange and reported that his significant other had a bad reaction to it, just fyi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4aL8PqL_xs

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 12:02:12 AM »
Benton Citrange is quite passable, slight mandarin flavour, better than Troyer or Carizzo Citrange.
Thomasville Citrangequat is not too bad.
Swingle fruit are ok here, Pineapple scent with a bit of Trifoliata.
As I remember from Citrus Growers Forum, a member had a fruiting Swingle in Germany but found the fruit not so great in that climate.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 02:46:18 PM »
Aren't there any hybrids that are maybe 1/4 or 1/8 trifoliate- enough for improved disease resistance/cold tolerance but low enough where the fruit is of good quality.

Swingle (grapefruit x trifoliate) is a great idea for cold tolerance. Grapefruit are the most cold tolerant citrus that produce edible fruit, though maybe Satsumas have similar cold tolerance. But grapefruit has the same disease resistance as other citrus- which is to say it gets killed by disease. So it's not worth the lower fruit quality in this case.

Benton doesn't like calcerous soils which rules out growing in Florida. May be other ones that don't like it either I didn't check for all of them. Thomasville citrangequat seems most promising being only 1/4 trifoliate. Though being half kumquat which contributes to cold tolerance and some disease resistance, but still a tart fruit. It does seem to have edible fruit though even if not the best. If this was crossed one more time with a sugar bell or something that would probably be a good variety.

I did find this. What would appear to be 1/4 trifoliate crossed with unknown regular citrus and producing decent fruit. Though they want a lot of money for it and also out of stock. If anyone had seeds from something like this I'd like to grow them. I guess the problem is that most trifoliate hybrids their seeds are clones making it hard to cross again.

https://citruscentre.co.uk/products/curafora-segentrange?variant=19776595399

https://www.oscartintori.it/en/prodotto/sandford-curafora/

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 02:49:28 PM »
SunDragon descends from Poncirus, is tolerant to HLB while producing good fruit.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 02:55:41 PM »
Sanford Curafora has a late season and often bears dry fruit. This might vary in different climates.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 08:26:22 PM »
I don't see anywhere to buy sun dragon.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 09:58:41 PM »
https://madisoncitrusnursery.com/products/us-119-citrus-rootstock-for-sale?_pos=1&_psq=119&_ss=e&_v=1.0

US119 has a unique flavor, citrus, with banana mango overtones.  Easily splits from too much rain. 1/4 poncirus.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 01:29:16 AM »

Pedigree of some HLB tolerant Citrus varieties.

Ambersweet x US119 is FF 1-74-14
I am not sure if it is already released

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 04:31:39 AM »
Anybody here growing any of these and have seeds? I see Duncan grapefruit in the lineage as well.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »
It seems they crossed Sugar Bell with Sundragon which has produced really good results. I'm assuming that's the tolerant mandarin they used unless maybe its sugar bell's mandarin parent. I think this is maybe 6% trifoliate. But I can find absolutely no source to buy the fruit, trees or seeds.

Selection 2: Tolerant Mandarin x ‘SunDragon’: Observations from a single tree which is the original own-rooted hybrid seedling. This is a very nice orange-like fruit that has better color than SunDragon. The parents are the two most HLB-tolerant USDA advanced selections and the original tree seems tolerant to HLB. Productivity is unknown. In initial tests was 12 Brix mid-Sept and 13-15 mid-Oct. through mid-Dec. Trifoliate off-taste isn’t noticed. ARS analysis found the juice agreeable and OJ like. Poncirus in pedigree may complicate regulatory approval for OJ. Expected to be clean from DPI in the next two months. Selected for CRDF replicated trials.

mikkel

• View Profile

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 09:47:26 PM »
They will have to release some of these eventually. Citrus is just too important of a crop in Florida. Sugar bell is available to buy seems to be the only one. Maybe it was the first they made.

It's like with grapes.

The Florida grape program is a shame. Some time back a guy in the program stole a lot of stuff for China or something. And they lost the labels and abandoned the program more or less. They have fields of excellent grapes many not labeled anymore and I guess never to be released. Even the stuff they did release most of it nobody sells. You have to network with southern grape growers to get stuff. I think maybe three of the main varieties can be bought online stover, dunstans dream and Blanc du Boise and the lesser foxie Lottie. It's frustrating when they have a ton of good hybrids but you can't buy them anywhere.

For people who want cold hardy citrus sun dragon x Dunstan grapefruit would be good. Dunstan grapefruit has good cold tolerance just not much interest in the fruit. It's not a grapefruit at all but the fruit is similar to a slightly bad tasting grapefruit. At least edible enough if crossed with one of these better tasting hybrids might restore some cold tolerance and have decent fruit.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:54:39 PM by 1rainman »