Author Topic: Disfigured new growth on garcinias  (Read 1257 times)

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
Disfigured new growth on garcinias
« on: October 29, 2022, 11:34:01 PM »
Anyone else ever seen their garcinias new growth look like this and what causes it? First guess was low humidity while I was gone for a week but the garcinias that are right next to these are pushing normal new growth.

Josh

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Disfigured new growth on garcinias
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 11:53:13 PM »
That’s like most of my garcinias. I’m in a terrible environment for them besides imbe

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 12:41:55 AM »
I think it is a nutrient issue. I haven't figured out exactly what nutrient or nutrients are lacking, but I have similar growth on my lemon drop mangosteen. Since growth like that has occurred in the middle of my Southeastern summer, with its surplus of humidity and heat, I highly doubt it is an environmental issue. Like hammer524, my imbe is unaffected. But, my achachairu also shows no signs of deformed growth. My seashore mangosteens' new growth is lighter in color than their earlier growth, but the leaves are not deformed in shape.

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 01:18:02 AM »
I think it is a nutrient issue. I haven't figured out exactly what nutrient or nutrients are lacking, but I have similar growth on my lemon drop mangosteen. Since growth like that has occurred in the middle of my Southeastern summer, with its surplus of humidity and heat, I highly doubt it is an environmental issue. Like hammer524, my imbe is unaffected. But, my achachairu also shows no signs of deformed growth. My seashore mangosteens' new growth is lighter in color than their earlier growth, but the leaves are not deformed in shape.

You might be right thank you. From this post (https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=40009.msg394118#msg394118) where the plants look similar to mine that was also brought up. I'm using osmocote 14-14-14 and figured that would encompass all that the plants needed.
Josh

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 12:47:22 PM »
I use this basic citrus spray https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-01902-Citrus-Nutritional/dp/B00A51Y8ZM/ref=asc_df_B00A51Y8ZM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193139379506&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10080865088591328402&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026839&hvtargid=pla-310724743333&psc=1

dilute it 1/2 what the bottle says, and DRENCH the leaves within the first 5 minutes of official sunset. Plants in general have a transitory period of 15-20 minutes, starting at sunset, that heightens the usefulness of foliar spraying. I use it every 3 months, the bottle says apply every 6 months I believe. Figure more ready supply of nutrients and less chance of leaf burn. Many acidic fruits have similar needs, this has worked amazing for me so far.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 12:49:13 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 01:49:49 PM »
I use this basic citrus spray https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-01902-Citrus-Nutritional/dp/B00A51Y8ZM/ref=asc_df_B00A51Y8ZM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193139379506&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10080865088591328402&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026839&hvtargid=pla-310724743333&psc=1

dilute it 1/2 what the bottle says, and DRENCH the leaves within the first 5 minutes of official sunset. Plants in general have a transitory period of 15-20 minutes, starting at sunset, that heightens the usefulness of foliar spraying. I use it every 3 months, the bottle says apply every 6 months I believe. Figure more ready supply of nutrients and less chance of leaf burn. Many acidic fruits have similar needs, this has worked amazing for me so far.

Will try this out, thanks.
Josh

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 11:06:04 PM »
New pictures of my madruno. Both have pushed growth twice and the disfigured one continues to do so, I think it might be calcium deficiency.

Josh

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 11:20:50 PM »
New pictures of my madruno. Both have pushed growth twice and the disfigured one continues to do so, I think it might be calcium deficiency.

The soil you are using looks kinda decent but not good. That could be a reason of nutrient deficiency.
Use a good quality soil mix.

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 11:29:15 PM »
The ugly plant is currently in a 40/40/20 mix of peat moss, perlite, and pine bark. What should I add or remove to the mix?
Josh

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 12:16:54 AM »
Realistically it could be sooo many things, but here's how to diagnose:
slurry your soil and pH it. Use water that you'd normally give your plants to get the most accurate reading.

Reference this chart here https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-effect-of-soil-pH-on-nutrient-availability_fig2_277669269 and report back. Note that anything under 5 drops off drastically

I'm guessing your soil is just too acidic because peat moss has a pH of 3.5 and pine bark 4.5, but maybe the perlite is enough to swing the pH back up. I'm not sure, just my gut reaction. I'm thinking that since osmocote is supplying nutrients but your plant isn't receiving them, it's experiencing lockout
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 09:37:00 AM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 08:49:27 AM »
Garcinias can take acid pretty well. The mix I normally use is largely peat, some perlite, topsoil, and some sand and maybe compost. I think the soil is ok. you could always try to redo it, but I'd just hit with some fertilizer and wait till spring. No need to stress out the plant now.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 09:20:56 AM »
It looks like zinc deficiency.
Brandon

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 11:35:32 AM »
It looks like zinc deficiency.
Garcinias can take acid pretty well. The mix I normally use is largely peat, some perlite, topsoil, and some sand and maybe compost. I think the soil is ok. you could always try to redo it, but I'd just hit with some fertilizer and wait till spring. No need to stress out the plant now.

Will give it some more fertilizer and wait a few months to see if it changes. Usually wouldn't be too concerned but these things don't exactly grow fast.

Realistically it could be sooo many things, but here's how to diagnose:
slurry your soil and pH it. Use water that you'd normally give your plants to get the most accurate reading.

Reference this chart here https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-effect-of-soil-pH-on-nutrient-availability_fig2_277669269 and report back. Note that anything under 5 drops off drastically

I'm guessing your soil is just too acidic because peat moss has a pH of 3.5 and pine bark 4.5, but maybe the perlite is enough to swing the pH back up. I'm not sure, just my gut reaction. I'm thinking that since osmocote is supplying nutrients but your plant isn't receiving them, it's experiencing lockout

I had not considered this but maybe, if in a few months this continues I will raise the ph and see what happens.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Josh

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 01:15:59 PM »
In talking about soil mixes I didn’t see that anyone mentioned clay.  Most garcinias occur naturally in soils that are primarily clay.  Peat, perlite, etc.  where’s the clay?
Peter

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 01:47:09 PM »
In talking about soil mixes I didn’t see that anyone mentioned clay.  Most garcinias occur naturally in soils that are primarily clay.  Peat, perlite, etc.  where’s the clay?
Peter
Clay soil in pots isn’t the best in the long term for zone pushers, but the g.brasiliensis I have in ground loves the clay here.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 02:56:15 PM »
I’m the ground a clay soil might be more than 80% clay, depends. In a pot 40-60% clay might be a good idea depending on the other ingredients. Sand combines well with clay and makes a lot of sense. These two ingredients along with coco coir would be a much better potting soil that would better imitate what garcinias want.
Peter

Reshet

• Israel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2022, 05:49:27 AM »
Have you checked your soil Ph?
My own findings is that Garcinias are usually sensitive, and need Ph lower than 7 but not too acidic.
Keep them away of too much direct sun and fertilize regularly.

Best of luck

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2022, 08:21:23 AM »
Also, I have resolved some problems with garcinias by amending the soil with sulpher and iron.