Author Topic: Most underrated fruits - what should be grown more?  (Read 5170 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Most underrated fruits - what should be grown more?
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2022, 09:20:07 PM »
I would say june plum is pretty underrated. If anyone loves sour crunchy fruit this is a good one. Great with salt and chili when it's green.  You can eat a ripe fruit but i eat them green.  Green fruits can be pickled.  Many things you do with a sour green mango you can with the june plum.  Even tender leaves are edible and sour.  The only thing they are a pain to separate the flesh from the spikey seed if your new to the fruit.  But it's much easier as you develop your technique.  They grow a little slow in my area but I think it's because they bloom profusely and of course not the most ideal climate but I seen some large trees.  Gophers seem to kill my tree every so often, ahah.
I could never get myself to like the taste of these both ripe and unripe. Tried some with salt also. Seems like it is another fruit that has more uses underipe in cooking than ripe.
But I did like the hog plum a relative of this tree.

The leaves are the best part in my opinion. I don't lay awake at night dreaming about when the fruit will get ripe. Lol!

Maybe I need to try it green in Thai salad.

Cannasquirrel

• sanjose zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2022, 12:18:49 AM »
Ithink duguetia

any one growing it in 9b
Cupã squirrel

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2022, 11:43:11 PM »
Dabai - very tasty, calorie dense food. If I ate a kilo I would be full for hours. Seem like a pain to harvest and I’ve heard only 1 in 10 trees will produce a female tree but still doesn’t make sense to me why they aren’t more commonly grown outside of Borneo. Taste I would describe is something between an olive and an avocado. Definitely in my top 10

Yepp definetly Dabai,
Also wampee, had some big really sweet ones the other day! WOW delicious. Better then a Lychee IMO. And the tree does give fruit yearly in abundance here while Lychee is always patchy even in the highlands.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2022, 11:47:54 AM »
Dabai - very tasty, calorie dense food. If I ate a kilo I would be full for hours. Seem like a pain to harvest and I’ve heard only 1 in 10 trees will produce a female tree but still doesn’t make sense to me why they aren’t more commonly grown outside of Borneo. Taste I would describe is something between an olive and an avocado. Definitely in my top 10

Yepp definetly Dabai,
Also wampee, had some big really sweet ones the other day! WOW delicious. Better then a Lychee IMO. And the tree does give fruit yearly in abundance here while Lychee is always patchy even in the highlands.
I'm gonna keep my eye open to some good wampee. The ones I had were super sour.
I do think I would like it if they were sweeter.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2022, 03:14:48 PM »
Wangoes. They are new and very few people have tried them. I am convinced that locked within their genome lies some useful code for our future fruits.

Not directed at people on this forum, but mangoes are largely under appreciated in the USA. Especially up north. Funny though, most people here in South Florida have never had a really good mango. Opinions vary greatly, but my belief is there is a mango flavor profile that suits everyone, if they just find it. Mangoes are indeed an underrated fruit.

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2022, 04:58:55 PM »
Cutnut. Beautiful tree with even more gorgeous flower & fruit.

Taste similar to peanut & walnut, or so I hear.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2022, 05:23:55 PM »
I was in San Francisco last week and bought some Feijoas at Bi-Rite market (this is the market that sells Yangmei when in season).  They were so good, I ate a basket myself in one sitting.  They were the best I've tasted, not sure what varieties they were. 

I'm growing lots of rare stuff that are high maintenance, feijoas are the opposite.  They grow with little care, drought tolerant, can be pruned hard into a hedge or allowed to grow, ornamental blue green leaves, pretty flowers that are tasty and edible and fruit tastes great from selected varieties.  I haven't tasted any of the New Zealand cultivars but I'm looking forward to them.

Janet

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2022, 09:29:15 AM »
Yepp definetly Dabai,

wampee definitely belongs on this list.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2022, 10:31:37 AM »
I was in San Francisco last week and bought some Feijoas at Bi-Rite market (this is the market that sells Yangmei when in season).  They were so good, I ate a basket myself in one sitting.  They were the best I've tasted, not sure what varieties they were. 

I'm growing lots of rare stuff that are high maintenance, feijoas are the opposite.  They grow with little care, drought tolerant, can be pruned hard into a hedge or allowed to grow, ornamental blue green leaves, pretty flowers that are tasty and edible and fruit tastes great from selected varieties.  I haven't tasted any of the New Zealand cultivars but I'm looking forward to them.

Janet
Yes, all around great!  I wish they grew here.
John

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2022, 11:47:27 AM »
Good quality abiu. Taste so good, I can eat like 2 kilos at once, and I'm not even a big fruit eater despite being here :). Most importantly in tropics they produce 3-4 times a year at random times, loaded trees.

Agree on Dabai as well. However, harvest is a problem. Trees are very tall, my first branch is like at 18 feet high, and than crown. So, basically we eat only dropped fruits. My tree looks exactly like first one in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLbBjC2aqA  Basically you have to be experienced coconut tree climber in order to get fresh fruits.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2022, 01:26:34 PM »
Good quality abiu. Taste so good, I can eat like 2 kilos at once, and I'm not even a big fruit eater despite being here :). Most importantly in tropics they produce 3-4 times a year at random times, loaded trees.

Agree on Dabai as well. However, harvest is a problem. Trees are very tall, my first branch is like at 18 feet high, and than crown. So, basically we eat only dropped fruits. My tree looks exactly like first one in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLbBjC2aqA  Basically you have to be experienced coconut tree climber in order to get fresh fruits.

I had to look up dabai. I have eaten canary nut before and thought it was good. What does the fruit taste like?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2022, 04:17:58 AM »

I had to look up dabai. I have eaten canary nut before and thought it was good. What does the fruit taste like?

Taste like "nuttiest", "fruittiest", fattest avocado, you'll ever have. Traditionally eaten with salt or soy sauce.  All these years I don't remember a single post anyone attempting to grow it in subtropics.

Jordan321

• Melbourne, Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2022, 08:56:23 AM »
Not directed at people on this forum, but mangoes are largely under appreciated in the USA. Especially up north. Funny though, most people here in South Florida have never had a really good mango. Opinions vary greatly, but my belief is there is a mango flavor profile that suits everyone, if they just find it. Mangoes are indeed an underrated fruit.

I can back you up on this one. I've lived in Florida all my life and I'm still not positive I like mango. I'm fully the average Joe ya'll lament over because he's only ever tasted "nasty, grocery store mango."  I literally didn't know the flavor profiles could cover the massive span that it does, and especially (, for me) that the resin taste was not inherent in all mangos. 
Reading this forum is almost the only thing that has raised my interest in them.  One day I may even taste a different one!