Author Topic: Greenhouse update  (Read 840 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Greenhouse update
« on: December 16, 2022, 06:22:42 PM »
Hi ! Thought to do an update on the tropicals ...we are having a mild winter so far.
The wood stove which was the heating system from last winter is a hystory, the new radiator based heating system is working fine for now, keeping things warmish at 15 to 20 C at night.
Plants look way better atm ,compared to the same time last year.

Heres a view of the gh along with the last snow we had.

Regular grafted pomello

Red pomello, starting to wake up

A general view

Passiflora decaisneana

Regular guava plants

Red catley and lemon guavas, those are continuesly growing and flowering, the visible fruits will be the second wave, also alot of new flower buds forming...

Mango seedling, having some kind of a fungal desease i quess, just sprayed today...

Mandarin and lemon

A random potted tamarind and an orange gasmine

Cavendish banana and a very sad lemon grass

Some pineapples ,carissa and aloe vera

Surinam cherry, just discovered today that i have the first flower buds on it.

Coffee arabica along with the quails that i keep in the greenhouse

Made a hiding spot for the quails, as other people said here in the forum, they dont really like hiding in such structures, mine also didnt use it so i removed it.

Having some problems with my avocado, some of the leaves are drying up as shown, also having leaves yellowing and dropping

Cinnamon

Cherimoya plants, one of them is carying alot of fruit, the other has only 2 that left. Should have thinned the proliffic one...

Yellow megalanthus dragon fruit, coffee and a pineapple next to it

Feijoa jemini

Monstera deliciosa

My unknown dragon fruits

Purple edulis passion fruit

Thanks for stopping by !
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:01:46 AM by Plantinyum »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse update
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 06:51:23 PM »
Absolutely Beautiful

Really showing how much can be fit in a small space as well

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 12:58:03 AM »
I really dont reccomend planting in such a dense fashion , my plants are heavily shading each other and dont really have the space to do much. It was their second year this year, so next summer i will have to start pruning them to keep smaller size, havent really pruned anything up to this point, except passiflora sp and cherimoya.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 02:02:18 AM »
very nice! giving me ideas in similar zone to you. the cherimoya and the passion vine look really good.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 11:20:14 AM »
Wow! I am surprised. I am 7a/b in the USA and we have seen no snow. Your greenhouse is nice. Do you keep bees inside as well?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 03:07:24 PM »
very nice! giving me ideas in similar zone to you. the cherimoya and the passion vine look really good.

Thanks! The passiflora decaisneana is really a beast, but doesnt produce fruit for me, need a pollinator.
The purple edulis will probably get the same size next year, edulis produces fruit for me without a problem.

Wow! I am surprised. I am 7a/b in the USA and we have seen no snow. Your greenhouse is nice. Do you keep bees inside as well?
I am not so sure, i think i am at the border between zone 6 and 7, winters are getting milder i notice. We do get at least a week or so of subzero minus 15C or more every year, it is a cold climate here, elevation 830m above sea level.
Dont you get any snow in winter? Ever? Here the winter is mild up to december, in January and February we get the coldest of fronts, ground freezes 30 cm deep at times.

The greenhouse is open in the summer yet i have hardly ever noticed a single bee inside on whatever happens to bloom . I did had some wasps that were staying in the tangled passiflora mess that i have , they were probably going for the nectar on the glands on the petioles of the leaves.
My mother keeps bees , she has around 10 beehives, i'm not really into messing with them due to the stinging.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 03:14:25 PM by Plantinyum »

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 04:14:31 PM »
I have 2 big edulis in 3 gal pots and they fruit well. Thinking about getting a giant granadilla (P. quadrangularis), I recently read somewhere that it can accept edulis as well as incarnata pollen. If that's true then I am already imagining a hybrid with incarnata.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 04:26:30 PM »
I have 2 big edulis in 3 gal pots and they fruit well. Thinking about getting a giant granadilla (P. quadrangularis), I recently read somewhere that it can accept edulis as well as incarnata pollen. If that's true then I am already imagining a hybrid with incarnata.
i have tried to pollinate my p.decaisneana with edulis pollen, i remember that was in the start when it only had like a few flowers. I pollinated two flowers, thei didnt set. Ive read that P.caerulea is possible as a pollinator for the quadrangularis and its hybrids, which mine is. Sadly my caeruleas were neglected so i didnt had flowers from them.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 10:20:39 AM »
Looking good!

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 04:55:09 PM »

Thanks! The passiflora decaisneana is really a beast, but doesnt produce fruit for me, need a pollinator.
The purple edulis will probably get the same size next year, edulis produces fruit for me without a problem.

I am not so sure, i think i am at the border between zone 6 and 7, winters are getting milder i notice. We do get at least a week or so of subzero minus 15C or more every year, it is a cold climate here, elevation 830m above sea level.
Dont you get any snow in winter? Ever? Here the winter is mild up to december, in January and February we get the coldest of fronts, ground freezes 30 cm deep at times.

The greenhouse is open in the summer yet i have hardly ever noticed a single bee inside on whatever happens to bloom . I did had some wasps that were staying in the tangled passiflora mess that i have , they were probably going for the nectar on the glands on the petioles of the leaves.
My mother keeps bees , she has around 10 beehives, i'm not really into messing with them due to the stinging.
We definitely get snow but this year we have not had any. We usually have 30 days where the day time high temperature does not get above 40 but they are not always consecutive. The coldest days are usually in December, January, February, and March.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 01:32:48 AM »
Jaboticaba45,  thank you !

CarolinaZone , weve also had a unusually warm winter till this date, they say that november was with 4 to 6C above average, and December being 2 to 4C above average. Lowest temp ive seen so far was minus 6C . Weve also havent had alot of snow ,just 2 snowy events but nothing major. I hope the remaining part of winter to also be warmer.....