Author Topic: timing of fertlizer  (Read 518 times)

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
timing of fertlizer
« on: February 18, 2024, 03:47:39 PM »
I am trying to grow several citrus in ground in zone 7a.  So far so good.   What I am trying to decide is when to fertilize them this spring? Right now our average high and low is 42/27 F.  I have them protected with Christmas lights and styrofoam.  Some do show new growth however.  Any suggestions?

Mike A.

Fleep

• United States, Texas, Dallas
    • View Profile
Re: timing of fertlizer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 04:09:41 PM »
 In my opinion, I don’t see anything wrong with using low analysis organic fertilizer low in nitrogen for example worm castings to keep the plant happy and minimize nutrient deficiencies during the winter. Once it warms up more consistently you could probably use your normal fertilizing regimen.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 05:07:46 PM »
How often you fertilize outdoor citrus trees depends on the trees age. For a 1 year old  tree, the University of Florida suggest to apply a 6-6-6 fertilizer with 6 applications per year. 2 year old tree 5 times per year. For older trees 3 times per  year.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 11:07:24 AM by Millet »

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 06:10:19 PM »
Hi Millet,

You recommended Jack's 25-5-15 to me back in 2019 in the other forum.  Is it fine to use it for my in ground citrus?

How often you fertilizing outdoor citrus trees depends on the trees age. For a 1 year old  tree, the University of Florida suggest to apply a 6-6-6 fertilizer with 6 applications per year. 2 year old tree 5 times per year. For older trees 3 times per  year.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 11:23:27 AM »
Jacks is a excellent fertilize, particularly for container trees.  It is also an excellent fertilizer for in ground trees. In my mind, and the minds of many growers  Jacks 25-5-15 is the very best fertilizer for citrus.  This is because 25-5-15 is the ratio that citrus absorb nutrients. However, in Florida, and other large citrus growing states, the University only suggest fertilizers that are sold in bulk due to the large volume of fertilizers it takes to fertilize a commercial grove.  I use 25-5-i5 on all of my trees , inground and container.   Kulasa, thank you for your post to me, I should have advised Unicyclemike differently.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 06:23:26 PM by Millet »

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 11:34:10 AM »
Millet, no, I thank you for recommending Jack's.  It's worth every penny!

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 11:53:22 AM »
Jacks is a excellent fertilize, particularly for container trees.  It is also an excellent fertilizer for in ground trees. In my mind, and the minds of many growers  Jacks 25-5-15 is the very best fertilizer for citrus.  This is because 25-5-15 is the ratio that citrus absorb nutrients. However, in Florida, and other large citrus growing states, the University only suggest fertilizers that are sold in bulk due to the large volume of fertilizers it takes to fertilize a commercial grove.  I use 25-5-i5 on all of my trees , inground and container.   Kulasa, thank you for your post to me, I should have advised Unicyclemike differently.

Any thoughts on Miracle-Gro 24-8-16?

I ask, as I can find that in 3-lb quantities, rather than the 25-lb quantity Jack's is in.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 12:05:37 PM »
24-8-16 is pretty close to the prefect formulation,  and should do well.

kulasa

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 12:55:56 PM »
I think the risk with the miracle gro 24-8-16 is ammonium toxicity as its nitrogen form is mainly urea and a little bit of ammoniacal nitrogen. As to the micro nutrients that Jack's have in comparison with miracle gro, I have no idea.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk