Author Topic: Filling In My Yard - Zone 10a  (Read 609 times)

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Filling In My Yard - Zone 10a
« on: March 26, 2023, 11:21:08 AM »
I don’t have many spots left in my sub 1/4 acre lot but I’m borderline high density planting in my back and side yard.  I have a north-south line of plants in the back with a Cogshall mango on the southern side and a carambola 20’ to the north. I plan on keeping the Cogshall at 10‘x10’ and I’m looking for something to plant between them that is ideally higher-stratum to provide some shade for the carambola and not encroach on the mango. I currently have an Indian almond (beach almond) growing in this spot but it’s had dieback at the top when we touched freezing temperatures a couple winters ago and then hurricane Nicole broke it off at 8’ last year so I don’t think this tree is going to do what I want it to.

What other plants could I fit into this space in zone 10a Sebastian?  I’m not sure if I want another mango although I could let a seedling Turpentine shoot up to the sky and fill this spot nicely (I enjoy Turpentines).  This area is very well draining sand that I heavily mulch.  I’d like to hear your comments.

I already have:
PPK, Sunrise, and Cogshall mangos
Mai 1 and Red Morning jackfruits
Oro Negro and a really good seedling avocados
2 loquats
Barbados cherry
Everbearing mulberry
Miracle fruit
June plum
Bananas
Strawberry tree
Cassava
A variety of perennial vegetables

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Filling In My Yard - Zone 10a
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 02:29:27 PM »
Why not go for an Artocarpus?

very tall- need your climate and good fruits

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 05:39:30 PM »
What type are you thinking?  I have a couple small jackfruits but they experience die back over winter.  This may just be my varieties or the fact that they are still small. Kwai muk is slow growing from what I hear and breadfruit wouldn’t be able to handle the cold.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 01:02:45 AM »
Hmm I was thinking a pedalai but maybe a Pouteria would be better? Lucuma or Green Sapote are great

I wasnt expecting cold damage on a jak
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 01:04:30 AM by elouicious »

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 08:23:46 PM »
It was a surprise to me too. Maybe a combination of 33 degrees and strong west wind. It was a very small tree but it didn’t get all the way down to freezing here either. At least it’s coming back from above the graft.  My neighbor has a 30’ tall jackfruit which didn’t sustain damage so I do know that they grow here. 

Pedalai sounds like it needs a bit more of a tropical environment plus it gets huge. I hadn’t thought about green sapote so that may be an option. I’m also thinking about an ice cream bean.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 08:30:13 PM »
More mangoes

Thai/Indian jujube

Kwai muk

Carambola

Loquat

Annonas

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 09:21:44 AM »
Actually, a Jujube might be the ticket. Fruit in the winter and then pollard it back each year for chop and drop mulch.