Author Topic: Mega thread - preparing, shipping, and storing all scions  (Read 692 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Mega thread - preparing, shipping, and storing all scions
« on: March 25, 2023, 03:19:08 PM »
After seeing the mold atemoya thread and having personal questions about the best way to send scions, this thread is going up. It’s been discussed before, but it’s nice to have all the info in one place.
Please chime in with what your take on sending scions is.
I’ll go first,
No wet paper towels. I’ve thrown out lots of stuff just cause they were moldy. Literally the scions were soaked and dripping water.
I’ve noticed best way to send is wrapped in parafilm or buddy tape. It’s also an act of courtesy so the receiver doesn’t have to do it. Wrapping them and putting in a plastic bag is enough. I’ve also received scions in a plastic bag with no wrap. This also seems to work. Jaboticaba and avocado were great looking after that treatment.
Scions with high sap content I’d recommend to keep a bit moist. I’ve had jackfruit and cempedak scions dry out super fast. To keep a bit moist, I’ll wrap them or just place them in a bag with a moist paper towel. I squeeze ALL the water out to make sure they don’t mold. This is on top of the scions being wrapped.

Preparing-
When preparing scions, choose branches that have not pushed new growth if possible. Buds that are larger are nice to choose. Just don’t choose too late or else it doesn’t work either. Choose branches with the most upright growth if possible. This really comes into play with garcinia. Other trees, it’s fine.

Storing -
I’ve found that the fridge can work well by storing scions. Just don’t let them freeze. Be smart. Also keep in mind certain types of scions last longer than others. Rule is if you can graft it sooner, it’s better when it comes to tropical fruits.

Please feel free to add on your advice and comments. Do you agree or disagree with what I’m saying? I’d love to hear.

Abirkett2

• USA, FLORIDA, CHRISTMAS, ZONE9B
    • View Profile
Re: Mega thread - preparing, shipping, and storing all scions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 09:47:16 PM »
Agreed. Recently got scions that came wrapped in buddy tape from Vincent Bodnar of Geffner, Dream and PPC Atemoya. All the scions arrived perfectly and most are already pushing out buds after less than a month from the initial grafts.

From now on I think I'm going to require any scions I purchase from any seller to be wrapped in buddy tape, as I believe the odds of success will go up drastically. Seen too many moldy scions/seeds using the wet paper towel method. Certainly willing to pay a bit more to get from a reputable seller who handles their scions with the care that Vincent does.
Froot Farms is a family owned/operated edible plant nursery, apiary, and composting site in Christmas, FL.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 11:56:58 AM »
I cannot adequately express my frustration with the wet paper towel method. I would way rather just have them thrown in a ziploc and sent as is.

On the buddytape / parafilm front, I also would prefer to do that myself.

Just put the scions in the ziploc, and call it a day.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 04:21:46 PM »
I think sucking the air out of the zip lock is good if the scions are not wrapped. 

Otherwise, that's pretty much it.  Wrap them in tape.  Or not if they are on a short distance trip just put them in a bag and suck the air out and zip lock it. 

Brad Spaugh

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 04:54:58 PM »
I've also received a lot of fig cuttings in wet paper towels and I havent been a fan of that.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 05:57:22 PM »
i'm trying to think what I do when i send scions. I personally sent them in a 'wet' paper towel in a ziploc.  But I would say that the amount of water I used is minimal.  Not sopping wet.  I haven't had anyone come out and tell me what i sent was rotten, but maybe they never said anything.

that being said as a personal habit, i try to have backups just in case something happens.

recently sent russell's sweet seeds to receiver's old address. so hoping that hte new owner of the house will send back to me. but will be prepared to send replacements/refund as needed. 

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 07:20:18 PM »
Everyone seems to have a different read on what is best. Had some shipped with a bunch of perlite in the bag recently, that was a new one. Had some delivered with coco coir as well. I can understand why someone would want to put paper towels in and I don't blame them, but there is really not any standard method. Even professional scion sources like Fruitwood nursery send in wet paper towel. I don't complain with however people send them because I am just stoked to get something new in general, but I'll ask them to not send wet paper towel on the second order if I remember to.

My experience has been that most scions can survive on the counter (dry) for almost a week if they're bagged, even 10 days sometimes, but I always squeeze out the air like Brad says.  If they're buddytaped and bagged I'd guess even longer. If they're wrapped in wet paper towel, you could see mould start to form in less than 2-3 days depending on temperatures and if the scion has it on the surface. I don't have much experience with the fridge but I left some cherry scions in there recently for a month + and they still look totally viable. This seems especially true for wood that is dormant like figs or stonrefruit but I think jabo and eugenia you need the freshest possible.

I also like receiving untrimmed scions with leaves and the little green fresh branches and then I get to make decisions about their shape and size. I note that Y shaped branches often do really, really well for some reason. My thoughts are that the wood will pull moisture from the leaves, but then I guess there is more chance of sending invasive bugs or fungal stuff that way.

It can get even more deep: I try to cut them in the afternoon right when the sun is about to set, I figure maybe they're kind of "charged" from the sun but that's a kind of bro science thought process, had just read about it somewhere in my grafting research.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 07:28:33 PM by K-Rimes »