Author Topic: Georgia's reduced Peach crop because of warm winter.  (Read 479 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 05:42:55 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Georgia's reduced Peach crop because of warm winter.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 09:20:48 AM »
 :)  Peachy Glen Mangos For Sale   :)

Mango Farmers sell those mangos...

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 02:25:17 PM »
I have pretty much zero stonefruit here at my place due to consistently cold and rainy winter. It seemed everyday the flowers opened we got doused... You can see the pollen running out of the flowers sometimes. Oh well, at least they grew well!

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 04:46:53 PM »
This last winter with extremes and days of extremely warm weather confused some of my mango trees.

Similar problems here in Australia in some places. I have Apples and Fig fruit ripe on the tree in winter.
I get around a bit to peoples yards for work, and there are a lot of figs with extra crops this year.
Orchard growers were complaining that the stone fruit season was way out, and varieties were going to miss the Xmass sales window.
Also variety ripening  times were overlapping more, causing a glut, instead of a stretched season.
A mild wet winter also brought fungal problems, and fruit fly surviving thru winter to kick off their attacks again.
Grapes had similar problems with fungus and delayed bud burst and flowering, then summer rains and mild weather slowed ripening down again.
Many grape crops were a write off.
This type of situation did happen in the past, but if it occurs more frequently and repeatedly in the future, it will be the end of some farms.
The success of this area is based on being in a dry semi arid climate, hinting into subtropical.
Irrigation from the Murray River allowed water to be applied in a controlled timed fashion over normally dry summers.
Rain events during fruit ripening season are not welcome in most cases.

Our local Catholic Priest ran 2 churches, one in the irrigated grape and citrus area, and another in the grain growing area, about 50 km apart.
On any Sunday, he would be praying for rain in one church with one parish, and praying for no rain at the other church a few hours later.
At some point in the year he would swap the prayers around, so that the fruit farmers got rain, but the wheat farmers did not get any during their harvest.
Some people blame Climate Change for recent weather events, but it is interesting to note that the priest did eventually retire,
and the parishioners merged and did start all using the one church ??
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 07:21:53 PM by pagnr »

TropicalFruitSeeker

• Vancouver, Wa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 05:51:55 PM »
Want to say same here in PNW. My cherry trees were loaded with flowers and even the beginning of fruit set but a heat wave in the 90s followed by 2 rainy days destroyed every single one. I can go out and pick off wilted green cherry starts but nothing will stay on the trees. . . maybe next year.

Paradise Redefined

• Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 09:17:09 PM »
Lost all my blueberries and gooseberries with a heat wave too. Went from like 40s to 87f over 2 days in early May. The heat nuked all my flowers and buds.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 09:44:52 PM »
My peach tree is looking like a bumper crop this year, but I assume it is because little to no fruit set last  year, either from a late frost or the tree is wanting to become biennial