Author Topic: Large deep pots for growing garcinis  (Read 734 times)

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
Large deep pots for growing garcinis
« on: June 29, 2023, 04:46:52 PM »
 Ibought a load of new garcinis and looking for some pots to put them in. Looking for the size that foyingfoxfruits used in a few of his recent videos but I have no idea where to find them or even what to search on google to find them.

Looking for the twice as deep as they are wide type pots

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Large deep pots for growing garcinis
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 05:05:14 PM »
https://stuewe.com/product-category/treepots-trays/

Stuewe & Sons are where I have gotten my treepots for my seedling garcinias and rooted fig cuttings

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 06:27:23 PM »

Stuewe & Sons are where I have gotten my treepots for my seedling garcinias and rooted fig cuttings

That source is all well & good but as a small backyard grower who starts smaller seedlings I don't need 100 caseloads of pots.  I could use, say, 20 or 25, and they would last me several years or longer since I would reuse them.

So where can we get, say, a 9" dia by 12" deep pot in smaller quantities but at a not highly overinflated price?

There has to be someplace that has sizes like this available for the little guy, without gouging!

Paul M.
==

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 06:33:12 PM »

That source is all well & good but as a small backyard grower who starts smaller seedlings I don't need 100 caseloads of pots.  I could use, say, 20 or 25, and they would last me several years or longer since I would reuse them.

So where can we get, say, a 9" dia by 12" deep pot in smaller quantities but at a not highly overinflated price?

There has to be someplace that has sizes like this available for the little guy, without gouging!

Paul M.
==

My experience has been it's almost impossible to find low priced pots of this type. Some people have said Stuewe sold them small numbers, but they didn't want to help me out with my order of the 20 or something I was looking for.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 06:46:38 PM »
I have also bought from Greenhouse megastore. They come in smaller quantities

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/products/treepots?variant=42701231653063

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 06:54:07 PM »

Paul M.
==
Letís split an order lol

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 09:22:05 PM »
RootmakerII rolls, I use this to make tall/skinny pots.   I also have one of the solid pots linked above and it is quite nice, but the rootmaker roll is economical and the chinese imitation is very inexpensive and looks nearly as good.

daisyguy

• Gainesville, Florida (North Central Florida)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 09:49:06 PM »
tthe rootmaker roll is economical and the chinese imitation is very inexpensive and looks nearly as good.

Do you have a source you'd recommend?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 10:00:04 AM »
Search amazon, ebay, alibaba for 'rootmaker' and you will find them, here's one on amazon:

They come in different heights, mine is 18".  You can use zip ties to hold them together, I also zip tie rings of landscape fabric to the bottom

this is how I use them
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 10:19:24 AM by brian »

0hip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 07:36:46 PM »
Do you just make you own size pot with the rootmaker?

How do they do as a permanent pot? If youíre pruning the roots is that better for the tree than circling? I know itís good if your plan is to plant in ground eventually but if I plan on keeping them long term howís it go?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 07:47:38 PM »
Yes you make your own size by cutting the roll.  You can make it larger than needed with overlapping material so you can expand it wider to some degree as the tree grows.  It can be a permanent solution, many people keep trees in rootmaker pots forever.  The "air root pruning" effect is very real and eliminates circling, and the trees develop beautiful root systems, but the tradeoff is that the containers dry out faster and may develop dry spots if you don't soak them well.   After some years I am finding that the circling roots aren't really such a big deal and root pruning is preferable to me than risking dry spots.

I personally do not keep my container trees in rootmaker pots forever, once I decide a tree will remain in a container forever I move them into these solid-wall 20gal containers and root prune yearly.  I haven't had a garcina get large enough yet to go into a 20gal so I am not sure how they will handle it when the time comes. 

But back to the original question... the rootmaker rolls are a great way to build many skinny & tall pots for long-taproot trees such as garcinias.  Once my seedlings with long taproots outgrow the 4in square tall pots I move them to skinny-tall rootmakers until I decide if they are destined for in-ground or 20gal container
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 07:55:03 PM by brian »

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 02:18:25 AM »

My experience has been it's almost impossible to find low priced pots of this type. Some people have said Stuewe sold them small numbers, but they didn't want to help me out with my order of the 20 or something I was looking for.
[/quote]

K Rimes... Missed the June event at your place but I have a couple cases of two different sizes of these pots if you ever wanted to trade for something.  I have a nursery in SB that I need to visit for a fern I have been waiting on.  I could bring some up then.  Otherwise, I am in LA/OC a lot if you are ever down that way.

I have been wondering how many years it would take me to use all of these.  I need two lifetimes!  Feel free to PM if you are still looking.  No rush. 

J

0hip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 05:29:44 PM »
I have some some good ones but yea they are going to cost a bit (AUD). Buying one isnít so bad but the 10-15 I need is going to cost a bit. Also the potting mix to put into it will cost a bomb too. Wonít need them for a year or so though

55cm deep

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 09:07:42 PM »
I grew native Garcinias in these extra tall Avocado bags. Might need to support the bags until established with a styro lug box.
https://botanyplastics.com.au/product/planter-bags-150mm-dia-x-380mm-high-black-poly-avo-long-pk500/