Author Topic: Soft jackfruit variety  (Read 4722 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Soft jackfruit variety
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2021, 09:11:07 AM »
Yes as a general rule the crisp ones taste a bit better but not always and they store better. The Viet Sherbet as we call it here is one of the best. Thick yellow fairly crisp and a bit fizzy on the tongue.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2021, 02:52:46 PM »
Hi Julie!

Care to share the name of this local grower so I can try this particular fruit?

Thanks

Sure, if you are interested please DM me

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2021, 08:17:30 AM »
Yes as a general rule the crisp ones taste a bit better but not always and they store better. The Viet Sherbet as we call it here is one of the best. Thick yellow fairly crisp and a bit fizzy on the tongue.

I never had a crisp one with the fizzy tongue sounds amazing. I have only had two before with that quality and its such an interesting mouth feel. I had it before I was trying to grow fruit trees and now am on the hunt for one like this.

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2021, 09:07:22 AM »
ok I sure have tanked up on a few jacks,chempajacks and chempas this season of all types. Soft skin and low latex always certainly means chempadak is in the lineage and jacks have way tougher skin, The crosses suaaly have skin that appears nore like jackfruit but is nearly always soft and flesh is always soft, The growing tips of trees is always sandpapery in crosses. I am tempted to grab one now and show you. It would be unusual for a cross to have jackfruits cold tolerance rather than that of chempa. Cheena is no glamour fruit by the way and most other crosses I have had are better.

I ate a true original cheena which is at the top and the lemon chempajack below is way better and looks like a jackfruit from the outside.

Man that bottom photo looks super delicious.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2021, 10:22:50 AM »
Echo Farms sold me a J31 seedling that has turned out to be an excellent easy peel Jakfruit, the taste is banana foster x bubblegum, Ive made some more room to trial out another 2 seedlings from this tree.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2021, 11:29:53 AM »
Mike T, since you have so much artocarpus experience maybe you can give me some advice.  I have a large Golden Nugget jackfruit in my greenhouse that I expect will fruit very soon.  However, I bought it before I knew about soft vs crunchy types and I am pretty sure I am going to hate the soft texture of the type I have, so I started growing potential replacement seedlings.  If you could only choose one, what would you pick? 

Who knows if I would even get fruit from some of these, but so far I have been able to grow everything I've tried.  I have:

• Some "top tier" jackfruits based on what I have read.
  • kwai muk
  • cheena
  • marang
  • champedek

Haven't found a pedallai yet

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2021, 01:01:00 AM »
J31 is pretty good but j33 ramps quality up a bit high and j36 is the current J series must have. Gold nugget is actually pretty good and in the disneyland between soft and crunchy really and has plenty of yellow flesh of good taste. If you have a latex fetish you will be pleased with it.
Kwai muk, marang and chempedek are not jacks but other species of Artocarpus that are respectable. Keledang is good also as is brecvipedunculata allegedly.
Cheena is a jack x chempa and its alright but won't set the world on fire but well known as an older hybrid. Chempedek vary greatly in taste, appearance and many other characteristics and some are very good and some are mediocre is my palate is any guide.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2021, 01:29:58 AM »
Thank you for responding!  It is good to hear the gold nugget is not mushy.  I'd love to simply keep it as it has been so healthy and maintenance free.  I saw another thread from years ago on this forum that put Kwai Muk at the top of the artocarpus list, but I don't know a whole lot about it.  The fact that there is no obvious winner is a good sign to me - I will probably be happy with whatever fruits.  Even the half-ripe mexican jackfruits I find in grocery stores taste pretty good to me.