Author Topic: Mango varieties still hanging on the tree? Other tropic fruit in season  (Read 6864 times)

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Surprised no one has mentioned Honey Kiss or Neelam. Have been considering planting one or both in my yard.
I have seen in variety descriptions that Neelam might hang until October some years and Honey Kiss into September, but no one has really posted any details like ripening dates,location,fruit quality and quantity on homeowner trees,etc...
While most mangoes get overripe if allowed to hang, a few hold well on the tree.
One other fruit that is ripening for me now is Makok sapodilla. Dwarf tree with good branching and short internodes.  My tree is was planted as a 7 gal old. Fruit is much larger and better quality than in previous years. In previous years the fruit were small. They had a greeninsh color tinge inside and grassy aftertaste even when fully ripe, but this year the fruit is similar in taste and appearance to a large Silas Woods.
Happy to report Makok fruit quality is now excellent as the tree matures vs just OK on a young tree.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
I have been really pleased with Supreme (also developed by Isons) but it is a female and needs a hermaphrodite like Ison to pollenate it. Some of the grapes on Supreme are 1.5" in diameter. That is a big grape! Burrying a portion of the vine that is still attached in moist sand is a good way to root them (simple layering).
Unruly muscadine grape vines do this rooting all the time. Self-rooting. On my property. These are the ones I will dig up carefully and put into pots. I will look for  Supreme. My local Lowes have lots of assorted Muscadines in the spring and fall. One gallon about $7 or $6.

If you like Ison, you will love Supreme. It is a very similar grape, just bigger (about twice as big) and a little better texture. The major draw back is the need for polination, but you should be fine on that score since you already have Ison. Sounds like you have the propagation down to a science.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I have been really pleased with Supreme (also developed by Isons) but it is a female and needs a hermaphrodite like Ison to pollenate it. Some of the grapes on Supreme are 1.5" in diameter. That is a big grape! Burrying a portion of the vine that is still attached in moist sand is a good way to root them (simple layering).
Unruly muscadine grape vines do this rooting all the time. Self-rooting. On my property. These are the ones I will dig up carefully and put into pots. I will look for  Supreme. My local Lowes have lots of assorted Muscadines in the spring and fall. One gallon about $7 or $6.

If you like Ison, you will love Supreme. It is a very similar grape, just bigger (about twice as big) and a little better texture. The major draw back is the need for polination, but you should be fine on that score since you already have Ison. Sounds like you have the propagation down to a science.
I found a source for Supreme but they do not list Ison. Their grapes will be back in stock October 31st. I did see one that caught my eye it is called jumbo but I do not know if it would work as a pollinator for Supreme.
Any suggestions
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:38:44 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

ivan79

• Can we Say cachucha pepper.
    • USA,FL,Dade
    • View Profile
I live in South Dade FL  and I still have Malika holding up and a mango called Weber /  :)  .

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
I still have quit a few Carries, sweet tart and Beverly, just picked the last seacrest, M4, in Merritt island.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
I found a source for Supreme but they do not list Ison. Their grapes will be back in stock October 31st. I did see one that caught my eye it is called jumbo but I do not know if it would work as a pollinator for Supreme.
Any suggestions
Phone  up Pine Island nursery for Ison muscadine grape plants. They do have them from time to time in three gallon size. I have seen it. They can ship it to you. This will get you off to a fast start.
or
Order it direct from the Ison nursery. https://www.isons.com/shop/muscadines/self-fertile-varieties/ison-muscadine/  You pay now via credit card. They ship it out bare rooted in Fall and Winter

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Any suggestions
[/quote]

Jumbo was created by the same breeder as Supreme: Dr. B. O. Fry. He worked for Ison's Nursery after he retired from the University of Georgia. A lot of the commercial quality muscadines are the result of his work with one or the other of those organizations (or what others built on his work after he died). I have not grown or tried Jumbo, but Supreme was released much later in his life and is a better grape from what I have read.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://muscadines.caes.uga.edu/cultivars/fresh-market-cultivars/jumbo.html&ved=2ahUKEwjHrv7bjJbyAhUSQTABHSCeBWkQFnoECAwQAg&usg=AOvVaw3ORqALkBUqN97hbWb7ZAmE&cshid=1628036622182

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Any suggestions

Jumbo was created by the same breeder as Supreme: Dr. B. O. Fry. He worked for Ison's Nursery after he retired from the University of Georgia. A lot of the commercial quality muscadines are the result of his work with one or the other of those organizations (or what others built on his work after he died). I have not grown or tried Jumbo, but Supreme was released much later in his life and is a better grape from what I have read.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://muscadines.caes.uga.edu/cultivars/fresh-market-cultivars/jumbo.html&ved=2ahUKEwjHrv7bjJbyAhUSQTABHSCeBWkQFnoECAwQAg&usg=AOvVaw3ORqALkBUqN97hbWb7ZAmE&cshid=1628036622182
[/quote]
Thanks! Zand🙂
Ison's Nursery & Vineyard
Thank you for your order
Your order has been received and is now being processed. Your order details are shown below for your reference:

Order #xxxxxx
Product   Quantity   Price
Supreme Muscadine
Size: 2 year Bare-root Plus (5'+)   1   $14.25
Ison Muscadine
Size: 2 year Bare-root Plus (5'+)   1   $14.25
JumpStart Vine Grow Tube
Quanity: 1 - JumpStart Vine Grow Tube 30"   2   $3.30
Subtotal:

Cocoa cream
Pick a tree-ripened orange sherbet today it was excellent. Pick them early or pick them late. They are wonderfully great!!!
Have a little gem drop that I picked up today. Eagerly waiting to taste it. Still have many Sweet Tarts and Valencia Prides hanging on the trees

No Jamaica! You can't have the gold in the women's 400m
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 05:26:20 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile

Good going Bo. Ison nursery is one of major muscadine nurseries
Set pressure treated poles ten ft apart.
Plant grape in the middle
Get the strongest vine growing straight up. You might use two strong vines...Don't kill other vines (the competition) until you see success.
Mark in Texas here grows lots of grapes.......

What he does is string two wires. The vine or two vines grows outward on the lower wire towards your poles that might be set in concrete...
Leave the upper wire bare! Until as the growing season progresses......
You take the grape clusters and hang them over the upper wire for ventilation and easier grape cluster picking.

Two wires are 5-8 inches apart/
You can PM Mark for the exact inches apart and how far above the ground to string the two wires.
Don't want to buy wire just for this? Use insulated electrical wire or strong plastic rope you find in the dollar store and Harbor Freight.
Good  luck with your Supreme and Ison muscadines.

I have not grown or tried Jumbo, but Supreme was released much later in his life and is a better grape from what I have read

lol...... I don't think I have ever planted a mango tree that I first had a chance of tasting the fruit first. I read what was on the internet and planted away. The only tree.... was lula avocado which I ate some before planting the tree
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 08:31:48 PM by zands »

MangoMikeFl

• Fl
    • View Profile
Anyone with Cotton Candy still on the tree?  Any varieties still hanging tough?

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Last 2 Cotton Candy came off the tree yesterday. Still have about 40-50 Little Gem hanging, last year the final fruit came off the tree September 10th.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Last 2 Cotton Candy came off the tree yesterday. Still have about 40-50 Little Gem hanging, last year the final fruit came off the tree September 10th.
Tony, I don't think you're growing Honey Kiss, but have you tasted them?  I was wondering how they compare with Little Gem and which would be the better late variety if someone had to choose.
John

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Haven't actually tasted Honey kiss yet but a number of people I trust recommend it. The thing is, no one is posting any info about how late it hangs on the tree. Maybe it hangs on the tree well but all of them get picked early?  It is supposed to be a classic flavored mango.
 Little Gem is in the Julie family and depending on the ripeness stage it is picked, how long it is finished off the tree, and how late in the season it can taste a lot like its relatives. It can taste much like Carrie,Julie, Dwarf Hawaiian, or Graham depending on those factors. I had one that was very similar to Graham and one that was very similar to Dwarf Hawaiian in the past few weeks. Firmer less ripe fruit with more resin can taste like a firm Carrie . One thing I like about Little Gem is that even though fruit may be picked early,it holds well on the tree and is very slow to develop any off flavors even when it would seem to be overripe by most standards. I feel it is at its best when it is a little soft.  Usually a few fruit are ready to come off every day or so after Mid July. I don't ever pull them off the tree, they will come off very easily when they are ready to be picked.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Venus has dropped a few but still loaded with green fruit, the taste has been exquisite, like a late season oversized Orange sherbet.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Beautiful, how is the tree growth habit?  Does it produce well?

Is the fruit clean?

Venus has dropped a few but still loaded with green fruit, the taste has been exquisite, like a late season oversized Orange sherbet.

Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Sprawling growth habit like CC.
Ive let the tree fruit heavy again for second year so it hasn’t got to much growth time.
Fruit has been clean without spraying.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile

Very nice looking fruit. And like Orange Sherbet, how can you lose except that late mangoes can go uneaten as people have eaten enough mangoes for this year. About five years ago was posted that an orchardist removed or top worked his Keitt trees (Keitt is late) and put in mid season mango varieties.

*** I am sure all your Venus will get eaten as soon as ripe.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Still have10 Orange Sherbert hang on the tree. My observations are it is very pick friendly. We picked one in early June when it turned from green to light green.It took 13 days to ripen and was very good. We had it when it's nose turn yellow.Which is a sign to pick and it was excellent. I had one that had a little internal breakdown in the bottom. That part was good like  orange pudding. I had one that was a drop or that got bumped and it was excellent. I think Weiss613 assessment of this mango is quite accurate.
I have one little gem hanging on the tree.The one's I had earlier in the season were sweet but not impressive. Starting to get a little bit of buyers remorse. The one i had just an hour ago change that. It  definitely had West Indian flavor. Actually the West Indian sitting next to me said it taste like Mango Palwi. That mango is on the Helen of the West Indies. Which is Saint Lucia.
Sweet tart what can I say. I like them when they turn yellow on the tree. A half Walmart bag has a lot of bartering power. I got guavas and pineapple.Also a Maha Chanok 8)

Mango Bellini made with Welch's sparkling grape juice. Oh so good! 😎
Okay why not Barbados cherry juice Bellini

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 09:04:02 PM by bovine421 »

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
In West Davie Fl, I still have Galaxy, Orange Essence, and Venus hanging on the tree. Less than a dozen of each.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Neelam still hanging and it tasted a bit coconuty. Very good taste.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Many green Keitt mangos remain on my friend's tree.  No raccoons in that gated community.  I picked several last week, which started to ripen by the next day.  I don't understand the talk of getting tired of mangos late in the season.  After suffering through weeks of having no mangos, these Keitts taste fantastic!  ;D  No fireworks, just plain old-fashioned good.
John

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
I am pruning back and found a few Cotton Candy, Graham and Juliette hiding.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Still have10 Orange Sherbert hang on the tree. My observations are it is very pick friendly. We picked one in early June when it turned from green to light green.It took 13 days to ripen and was very good. We had it when it's nose turn yellow.Which is a sign to pick and it was excellent. I had one that had a little internal breakdown in the bottom. That part was good like  orange pudding. I had one that was a drop or that got bumped and it was excellent. I think Weiss613 assessment of this mango is quite accurate.
I have one little gem hanging on the tree.The one's I had earlier in the season were sweet but not impressive. Starting to get a little bit of buyers remorse. The one i had just an hour ago change that. It  definitely had West Indian flavor. Actually the West Indian sitting next to me said it taste like Mango Palwi. That mango is on the Helen of the West Indies. Which is Saint Lucia.
Sweet tart what can I say. I like them when they turn yellow on the tree. A half Walmart bag has a lot of bartering power. I got guavas and pineapple.Also a Maha Chanok 8)

Mango Bellini made with Welch's sparkling grape juice. Oh so good! 😎
Okay why not Barbados cherry juice Bellini

That drink looks yummy! Care to share the recipe   :)...Thanks!!

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango varieties still hanging on the tree? Other tropic fruit in season
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 12:51:59 PM »
My last 2 Little Gem mangos of the season disappeared last night. I think they were a week from being fully tree ripe. I was planning on sending them to a forum member but had some animal damage a few days ago. I decided to let them hang until they dropped. Something carried them off. Anyone still have mangos hanging in Florida?  Keitt is gone from all the trees I have seen locally.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Re: Mango varieties still hanging on the tree? Other tropic fruit in season
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2021, 04:52:41 PM »
Last 3 Keitts went to a customer today. Mango Season is done.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:06:58 PM by zands »