Author Topic: White Alfonso. Has anyone had the opportunity to try this or have opinion?  (Read 664 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I don't know if I had just had never noticed or Alex recently added this variety to Tropical Acres Farms website but it sounds exotic and interesting :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
Re: White Alfonso. Has anyone had the opportunity to try this or have opinion?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 09:32:50 PM »
I am also interested in the White Alphonso - how it compares to the Alphonso.

Alex at Tropical Acres also has Bennet Alphonso listed, and his website states he grafted one in 2019 and is "optimistic" about trialing it, as he has observed a "very productive Bennet tree in Homestead".

2021 seemed to be a decent year for Alphonso, and that allowed me to try it from several trees.  I'm looking forward to learning more about these two with similar names.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: White Alfonso. Has anyone had the opportunity to try this or have opinion?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 09:28:45 PM »
Our Bennett (well, the older of two) flowered and fruited this year only two years after we grafted it. Pretty impressive for an Alphonso in south Florida.

The fruit actually had spongey tissue problems but so did our regular Alphonso for the first time in forever. I’m optimistic it won’t be a long term problem and think Bennet will outperform the regular by a long shot.

White hasn’t fruited yet but I’ve had strong support voiced for it by people familiar with the fruit. I’m optimistic about that one too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk