Author Topic: grumichama update  (Read 10593 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
grumichama update
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:40:43 AM »

I showed pix of my yellow grumichama in full flower a couple of months ago.In spite of neglect it has a reasonable crop of smaller than usual fruit perhaps due to it being the dry season.As fruit ripen the first flowers of the following flush are opening.I expect multiple fruiting over the southern summer.

While the current crop are not whopping fruit I was told my seedling was from a selected line with large sweet fruit.They are very sweet and much better than it's darker skinned companion tree that was culled a year ago due to inferior fruit.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: grumichama update
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Looks great Mike - my reds are just flowering right now. Is the growth habit the same as the for red; are there any other differences than taste (which I still presume is within the range of the red)?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:21:19 AM »
 Hi Mike,

How tall the tree is? Looks pretty dwaft.
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:33:26 AM »
Faezal the tree is 2.1m and is kept shorter by me clipping the top and some bad weather a while ago.It is also in a windy spot.Soren the yellows seem to be a little sweeter and more complex in flavor than the dark ones.I am told they taste similar to orange ones which are less commonly seen.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »
Nice looking tree, Mike.  You'll learn to savor with the light crop.

Now go pick those jabos ;D   perhaps it was intimidated by the abundance of fruits from that tree to the left?
Tim

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »
This grumichama looks awesome!! The purple ones I've seen were much smaller. My guess is the fruit quality will improve the older the tree gets...

Do you have some spare seeds to sell?  ::)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Felipe a friend has been waiting a long time for seeds off that tree and that single branch is all that is there.The flower buds all over the tree will produce the next crop soon and no one has spoken for those yet.I never sell seeds.
Tim the sabara tree beside it is outa sinc with my 2 big ones that have 1000's of tiny developing fruit now.I think the grumi was spooked in production by the heavy jaboticaba action around it.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »
Hi Mike,

Your yellow Grumi is truly top notch and large 8) The yellow grumi from the B.T...sure needs to gain some weight and puff up for showdown ;D

The flavor is similar to prunus avium ;)

Thanks for sharing, Mike :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »
Hi Mike,

They look tasty. It's the first time I hear the yellow ones taste better or different than the purple ones.

Tomas

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »
The yellows seem to be a bit later than the blacks. I've been picking individual fruit off my black for over a month now. Mike, I'm sure you'll have heaps of fruit in the next two to three crops over summer. they really pump them out during the wet/storm seasons. The yellow form is generally considered better eating here and most are larger than the black.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
Felipe a friend has been waiting a long time for seeds off that tree and that single branch is all that is there.The flower buds all over the tree will produce the next crop soon and no one has spoken for those yet.I never sell seeds.

Mike, I would appreciate a lot if you could share on a later corp some seeds. At the moment most of my trees are still in a juvenile stage, so I don't have much to share, nothing you aussis would be impressed of, so if you don't sell then at least I would reimburse you any cost.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:41 AM »

The rain set the yellow grumichama off again and it is a festval of flower buds.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:21 AM »
Howdy Mike,
AWESOME 8) Water definitely is a trigger for them Eugenia's to flower. Please do an update when the yellow grumi is in full bloom :)

Thanks for sharing :) 
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 02:14:13 AM »
Nice looking trees mike. Congrats on the rain!!

The rain set the yellow grumichama off again and it is a festval of flower buds.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 02:43:28 AM »

The flowers are opening now.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:10 AM »
Wow that is a happy tree!

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »
Those are real pretty flowers!   

I have a bush that flowered last spring but didn't produce any fruit.  Are these self pollinating?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »
Those are real pretty flowers!   

I have a bush that flowered last spring but didn't produce any fruit.  Are these self pollinating?

yes the flowers are perfect, sounds like first time flowers, not being experienced enough to get the job done.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »
I get huge fruits, very juicy, and sweet when around Feb/March I feed the dark color grumichama with a thick layer of cow manure aound the drip line and I bit beyond it.  I keep the soil nice and moist by watering the tree two (2) to three (3) times a week.  Grumichama loves water!
I believe that any nice manure will do the job, cow, goat, horse, even elephant manure will do it!  8)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 05:01:40 PM »

My yellow grumichama has responded to rain after a dry period with flowers a few days later. There should be at least 2 more flowerings/crops over the rainy season as these trees are like machines with production for several moths of the year.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »

My yellow grumichama has responded to rain after a dry period with flowers a few days later. There should be at least 2 more flowerings/crops over the rainy season as these trees are like machines with production for several moths of the year.

Mike , the " 2 more flowering/crops over the rainy season " is that for the yellows or do you blacks have also multiple fruitings ? I have only one a year .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »
Luc I don't know if there is a difference in crop frequency between yellows and blacks.The black I chopped down usually had a second crop towards the end of the rainy season. This yellow fruiting one probably has extra flower flushes because it is stressed during the dry season and gets fertilized several times during that latter part of the rainy season.After 6 tough months it seems to go crazy during the time of plenty.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »
my black generally has 4 crops. first was meagre as it was in a terribly dry season, its now putting out flowers again. it could also be due to heavy pruning as i keep mine under 5ft.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »
my black generally has 4 crops. first was meagre as it was in a terribly dry season, its now putting out flowers again. it could also be due to heavy pruning as i keep mine under 5ft.

I remember you posting about keeping them small Bruce , I'll have to give this a try , do you think it is OK to lower them 3 meters , they are about 5 meters now and lots of fruit gets lost 
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 09:13:08 PM »
Luc my yellow is kept to 2m but is equally as wide.That seems to give more fruit per plant volume than on big trees.