Author Topic: vaniglia sanguingo fruit  (Read 2706 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
vaniglia sanguingo fruit
« on: November 16, 2019, 12:17:28 PM »
This is the first year I've gotten full size fruit.  Last year I got two runts.

The UCR description is spot on:
"This is a pink fleshed (lycopene) sweet orange; very sweet, almost acidless. Pink color is in albedo and flesh next to rind only. Could be interesting as a garnish but flavor is no good- very insipid, virtually acidless."

I bought this because somebody had described it as tasting like mango and I couldn't resist... but it doesn't taste like any mango to me.  More like watered-down "orange drink".   I tried eating an immature green one to see if any different but it was much worse than the ripe ones.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: vaniglia sanguingo fruit
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
Too bad because it looks like an interesting citrus.
My name is Cindy

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
So cross it with a Ponciris.  There was a discussion a while back about how at least some acidless citrus is due to a single gene for no acid.  Just a thought.  Ever since that discussiion, I've wanted to cross any acidless citrus with Ponciris.
The only other thing I can think of to do with a fruit that you don't like is, toss it, or think of some other fruit which would make a good drink or jelly or wine if mixed with this fruit.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 08:37:21 AM »
Brian, I grafted that one as well. It tasted just as you described it and so I top worked my tree a while ago. It was a disappointment to wait for the branches to fruit and finding out it was not that good tasting.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
What might be an interesting experiment.  Grow the Vaniglia Sanguingo in a cool/cold night temperature.  Cold night temperatures raises the acid levels in citrus.  Citrus can taste different depending on the climate the fruit is grown in.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:02:28 PM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
Hi Millet
That is why citrus from different areas taste different even though they are the same cultivars in my opinion. There are so many factors that make the taste of citrus what it is that it is baffaling at times. I have different mandrins that even the North side of the trees taste different from the South side. I agree....that would be a good experiment....

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:04:34 AM »
Dan Willey (Fruitmentor) did a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdxb0O2gwXA) on blending the juice together from various citrus varieties. Vaniglia Sanguigno is one of the three varieties he used in the video (Sanguinelli and Variegated Pink Eureka Lemon were the other two). I had never heard of Vaniglia Sanguigno before seeing the video recently (it is listed in Saunt's Citrus Varieties of the World, which I own a copy of but have not read cover-to-cover, yet). Of course, leave it to Tropical Fruit Forum to have a thread about this variety.

It seems like Vaniglia Sanguigno produces quite a few seeds. I would be interested if you have any seeds available. I enjoy growing citrus from seeds (yes, it takes longer but sometimes you get interesting mutations) and have a hard time resisting any opportunity to add another variety of citrus to my collection.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »
Citrus taste varies strongly, depending on growing conditions. I growed tangelo Sampson for years in pot and fruits were practically  inedible. I was thinking about top working the tree, but last year I put the tree to the ground in greenhouse and next season I was really suprized by the fruit quality and taste. Skin was much thiner, more yelow then orange and fruit taste was quit good, like softly bitter, sweet grapefruit.

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 04:38:47 AM »
I also have a potted Vainiglia Sanguigno tree and got some fruits two years ago. My fruits were ripe in autumn (~ October) what is pretty good in my climate where November can bring winter temperatures below freezing. The taste of my fruits was not that bad. They did not have the rich taste of, say, a navel orange but orange taste and as much acid as a normal orange. I suppose they were not totally ripe when I harvested them although they were yellow.

Regarding the inheritance of acidity, I have found an article from Cameron et. al. that states that acidless oranges crossed with normal sweet citrus produces normal sweet citrus. That means low acidity is a recessive trait in that combination. It can though happen according to the article that it is sometimes inherited in an intermediary way. In contrast, low acidity of Pumelos is always an intermediary trait in crosses with normal sweet Citruses. So the article. What it does not state is what happens when you cross acidless varieties with sour Citrus. (I read the whole article but could not find the link again. Sorry.)

I have tried to do the latter thing: I pollinated Vainiglia Sanguigno with Poncirus. I got only one tiny seedling with trifoliate leaves. But it died. I shall try again. I pollinated V. S. with N1triVoss. One possible hybrid so far. But leaf form is not so distinct that I can be sure it is a hybrid. Then I pollinated F. margarita with V. S. Two seedlings out of about 20 pollinated flowers. Both seedlings were very sensitive to root rod but I saved them on Poncirus. One grows well, the other slowly. They seem to require warmer temperature in order to grow (not as extrem as pure Kumquat). When I have luck, the first plant may flower the coming year. Why I am sure that I have produces hybrids with Kumquat? Hmm, the seeds were much bigger than normal Kumquat seeds, both seedlings were thorny and the leaves are smaller than oranges leaves and have a tip.

I also tried to cross Chandler (Siamese SWEET x Pink Pumelo) with Poncirus (--> no seeds ever), Poncirus with Chandler and Poncirus with C. limettoides. The latter crosses have not yet germinated.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 01:23:02 AM »
Vaniglia is my favorite citrus tree I grow . I like it more than many tasty high rated mandarins.
Taste buds and climactic influences on flavor will vary.
Season just started, I ate the first ripey yesterday,

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 07:25:47 AM »
I think I read a post somewhere that you can mix it with lemon juice and it will taste like orange. It is the acid that makes the taste.
But it is just rumours no experience.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 01:33:06 PM »
Why mess with the unique vanilla flavor?
There are plenty of Oranges that taste like Oranges and even overly acidic citrus.
This one is so enjoyable and different on it’s own.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 04:36:56 PM »
I got this tree on accident, was supposed to be a tahoe gold.  Wait 3 years to find out its wrong. 

The fruit are small and have lots of seeds and 0 acid.  Im not a fan of it but not sure what to do with the tree.

The place I bought it is online four winds growers.  Thry are going to send a new tree which is very nice.  I appreciate they are doing that. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 05:05:00 PM »
Brad, I still have my vaniglia sanguino (grafted tree) and it was as you mention as for flavor/taste the first 5-7 yrs. But now, its been over 15 yrs  and I left one branch still with this variety and the fruits are mostly seedless and taste has improved. My fruits have hardly any acid taste but now I seem to taste the mild sweetness with a little acid and its actually good. I did a post on this fruit somewhere here with photos. Did you flesh have any pink color? My fruits never shows any pink color inside.

I also have the Tahoe Gold from them. It had fruits in 2yrs. taste was only average. I'm a little disappointed but I will keep it for a few more years before I get rid of it if now improvement.

The three gold series are:
TDE2-Shasta Gold
TDE3-Tahoe Gold
TDE4-Yosemite Gold

So far, I liked the Yosemite Gold the best, then the Shasta Gold, then Tahoe Gold.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 08:27:11 PM »
Dont forget gold nugget.  I like gold nuggets a bunch. 

The vaniglia fruit have a little red in them and are super sweet.  It was syrupy almost and no acid.  Like sugarwater.  I guess it would make some decent drinks mixed with lime but sugar cane is probably easier than juicing these.  Ill probably top work it if no one else in the family likes them. 

Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 10:16:15 PM »
Yes, I would put Gold Nugget after Yosemite Gold.