Author Topic: Citrus germination  (Read 500 times)

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Citrus germination
« on: December 30, 2022, 02:40:20 AM »
Does anyone happen to have a protocol for properly germinating citrus seeds? I have inconsistent results. Usually the main problem is getting fungus on the seeds after peeling the seed coats. I have previously tried sterilization with bleach and/or disinfection in 40°C but that was not able to get rid of the fungus completely (or the growing substrate was not clean). Any help would be appreciated!

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus germination
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 04:44:07 AM »
I am using baggy method with barely moist heat sterilized perlite.
Seeds in zip locked packets are placed on a heating mat with regulator set on 28C day and  night. Every second day I turn packet upside down.
Germination starts usually in two weeks and with fresh seeds approach 100%.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 11:39:21 AM »
Here's my procedure that seems to work good for me. I don't use heat pad, jut the baggie method.

1) I use coco coir, works the same for my citrus seeds. I soak seeds in water for a few days until the seeds are very clean (rinse/wash each day).

2) Before putting seeds in baggie, spray with diluted peroxide, clean, then put in baggie with coco coir.

3) Watch the bag with seeds, if you notice any mold/fungus, remove all seeds and wash/clean, put back in baggie with new coco coir.

4) Once I see the seeds growing (roots/leaves) then I move it to larger container/pot, put it outside and put screen over the pot so birds/bugs don't eat the fresh leaves/roots.

Pummelo seeds seems to grow much faster than other citrus seeds. I will need to try Ilya11's method with perlite.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 11:42:38 AM by sc4001992 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 02:19:23 PM »
I take  2 or 3 or sheets of the dally newspaper and wet it.  Place the seed between the  moist paper then slip  it into a plastic baggy.   In approx. a week the seed began to sprout.    Then I plant them in a clean pot with new medium.