Author Topic: grafting cherimoya tips  (Read 2824 times)

Ivy

• CA zone10a
    • View Profile
grafting cherimoya tips
« on: February 18, 2021, 04:11:29 AM »
I am planning to graft my cherimoya tree. I will have my scions mailed  in a week. What tips can you give me to have the highest  success rate. When is the best time to graft ? How long scions can last in the fridge? What is the best technique to use for grafting 4 y/o tree?  Is there any preference when it comes to choosing branches? How to protect grafts? If you have any photos of grafted branches and can post them that would be helpful. Any suggestions appreciated.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: grafting cherimoya tips
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 11:59:25 PM »
A good time to graft is when the rootstock is not dormant.
Some of my cherimoya rootstocks are dormant and some are having new growth.
I’m grafting on the ones that are growing.

Some scions won’t last 3 weeks in frig.
Graft as soon as possible.

I use a few different techniques but for scions without leaves like yours I  would use cleft.

I use 1” strip of Saran Wrap, Parafilm, plastic strips, Buddy Tape.
Any of these are ok.
I put a sandwich ziplock bag over the graft to increase humidity and block out rain.

Good Luck!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:25:31 AM »
I am planning to graft my cherimoya tree. I will have my scions mailed  in a week. What tips can you give me to have the highest  success rate. When is the best time to graft ? How long scions can last in the fridge? What is the best technique to use for grafting 4 y/o tree?  Is there any preference when it comes to choosing branches? How to protect grafts? If you have any photos of grafted branches and can post them that would be helpful. Any suggestions appreciated.

I made a video on cleft grafting atemoya to cherimoya - maybe it will be helpful :)

https://youtu.be/znt9nrwGvV0

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:09:35 PM »
My cherimoya grafts have not been that successful.  I've figured out one thing I've done that has made them fail: the cambium and bark are a lot more tender than some of the other plants I've grafted.  Being accustomed to grafting hardwood scions, I've literally squeezed too hard on the tender cherimoya scion -- especially as I wrap it to keep it in place.  The resust has been grafts that don't take.  So I'd recommend just being aware of that IF you're used to grafting harder woods, (e.g., persimmon).

eglanchamp

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 02:27:31 PM »
It is better to graft annonas with green cuttings. It will be better and faster (2 weeks to a month at most). In green cuttings, tissues grow intensively, and the quality of grafting is better.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:49:58 AM by eglanchamp »

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 06:43:44 PM »
 Green scion wood;
I don't believe that is necessarily true I have always grafted in Winter or when Cherimoya's are coming out of dormancy. Have used year old wood that is tan bark and always had 90% and up percent takes. Winter was done mostly in G.H. after prepping root stock by stripping leaves and that was only time to get scion wood from O.C. CRFG scion exchange.Graft's outside were after cherimoya were coming out of dormancy.
It is better to graft annonas with green cuttings. It will be better and faster (2 weeks to a month at most). In green cuttings, tissues grow intensively, and the quality of grafting is better.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 12:59:50 PM »
Green scion wood;
I don't believe that is necessarily true I have always grafted in Winter or when Cherimoya's are coming out of dormancy. Have used year old wood that is tan bark and always had 90% and up percent takes. Winter was done mostly in G.H. after prepping root stock by stripping leaves and that was only time to get scion wood from O.C. CRFG scion exchange.Graft's outside were after cherimoya were coming out of dormancy.

Whats the earliest you have done outside grafts on cherimoya? Im wanting to go ahead and do them just to get it done with.  In the past I waited until April 1st. 
Brad Spaugh

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 03:38:27 PM »
wait another month when night time temperature warms up a bit unless you have a greenhouse.   It sucks that those that sell scions early sell them knowingly that it's not ideal time to graft.   

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 07:23:34 PM »
For outside plants I wait until I see growth starting to happen usually around March but kind of changes every year back and forth a little.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 02:36:42 AM »
Here are my succesfull first time cherimoya grafts. I did around a dozen grafts past september , all were cleft grafts and only two took. I left two leaves on each rootstock, directly below the graft point, to have the sap flowing. 
The other two grafts are aproach grafts and this tipe of grafting i would highly reccomend, i set two such grafts and both were succesfull, i removed the grafted plants from the mother plant in around a month ,also were grafted in september. I left 4 leaves each plant and apparently the heal was good enouth and they survived, made a little growth since then also.
I have some more seedlings and will aproach graft them this spring with my two big cherimoya seedlings , one of which showed its first flower buds this winter.
I would recommend aproach grafting, as long as u can manage to keep the potted seedlings fixed stable in the crown of the tree and also prevent the soil in the pots from drying up.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 02:38:31 AM by Plantinyum »

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 02:56:34 AM »
Chip budding work well in most of the seasons.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 03:06:57 PM »

With this technique do u use only older ,hardened cuttings or green stem ones work also

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 03:18:39 PM »
Here are my succesfull first time cherimoya grafts. I did around a dozen grafts past september , all were cleft grafts and only two took. I left two leaves on each rootstock, directly below the graft point, to have the sap flowing. 
The other two grafts are aproach grafts and this tipe of grafting i would highly reccomend, i set two such grafts and both were succesfull, i removed the grafted plants from the mother plant in around a month ,also were grafted in september. I left 4 leaves each plant and apparently the heal was good enouth and they survived, made a little growth since then also.
I have some more seedlings and will aproach graft them this spring with my two big cherimoya seedlings , one of which showed its first flower buds this winter.
I would recommend aproach grafting, as long as u can manage to keep the potted seedlings fixed stable in the crown of the tree and also prevent the soil in the pots from drying up.

nice grafting work.  Your plants look great.  What Im doing is growing seedlings in the ground for 1 year then gfating the named variety onto them from mature tree cuttings. 
Brad Spaugh

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 08:03:27 PM »

With this technique do u use only older ,hardened cuttings or green stem ones work also
For chip budding, I always use mature (around an year old) cuttings. Tender chips will dry out quickly.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 10:01:50 PM »

For chip budding, I always use mature (around an year old) cuttings. Tender chips will dry out quickly.

What kind of tree is it?  Can you grow cherimoya there or is it a atemoya?
Brad Spaugh

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 11:15:16 PM »

What kind of tree is it?  Can you grow cherimoya there or is it a atemoya?
The picture is of Cherimoya (El-bumpo) on Sugar apple. Cherimoya grows well here, but long time it will take for fruiting. The mother plant was a seedling, which flowered in 4 years. I was forced to cut off the plant due to some reason. At that time, I made 2 bud plants and I lost one of them later. The other plant is in ground and is growing healthy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:16:50 PM by vipinrl »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 03:03:16 AM »

Thanks !!

nice grafting work.  Your plants look great.  What Im doing is growing seedlings in the ground for 1 year then gfating the named variety onto them from mature tree cuttings. 
Yeah i am kinda sad i sacraficed around a 100 one year old seedlings which would have been perfect for grafting this year, i placed them in the basement and they died from cold.
I would have gone mad with the aproach grafting on them hahah 😂
Still glad i kept 5 of them so will play with those....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk