Author Topic: seeds sold as rare annonas but they seem to all be cherimoya  (Read 1203 times)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
seeds sold as rare annonas but they seem to all be cherimoya
« on: December 20, 2021, 09:21:11 AM »
so i bought "rare annona" seeds from ebay a few months ago.

so 2 of the species did germinate but something seemed off so i look for the name of the ilama "variety" online to see what pops up and i found people complaining at this very forum like 7 years ago. they claim it's cherimoya.  they surely look like cherimoya to me, can you confirm?
so here they are...

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: seeds sold as rare annonas but they seem to all be cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:36:10 AM »
I think it will be hard to positively identify them as cherimoya at this stage- sorry for the bad experience,

it is unfortunately tempting to pull scams like this when people will not find out for many years- if they are even able to get a plant to grow that long

this is why trust and a sellers word are at a premium in this space, I would try to get a refund but given the ebay sellers long history this might be tough

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 10:57:56 AM »
well yes i can easily recognize them as cherimoya by the leaves, you see i've grown this before and not only that. i have 20+ cherimoya seedlings from another forum member so they pretty much the same as these.

so here you can see other forum members that got shafted like 7 years ago @ ebay with this ilama "maya rahmapfel" you know the same i've bought here plus other 3 species. just look

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16977.0

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 12:13:28 PM »
Cherimoya leaves are rounded at the tips and Atemoya are pointed like that. I suspect they are not Cherimoya but Atemoya, reticulata , sugar apple, some other Annona.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 01:26:44 PM »
well by comparing the seedlings to my other seedlings they look mostly like cherimoya. now if they are atemoya, mostly cherimoya or full cherimoya doesn't really matter. the leaves also look darker green compared to squamosa and the seeds of my other cherimoya look identical to these but let's look at some pics i guess.

annona reticulata. so these are custard apples by a forum member and other custard apples from rare palm seeds that were sold as ilama.

annona squamosa. by another forum member. these are of a lighter green color than the cherimoyas, have narrower leaves and also more flat leaves.

cherimoya these are from the same forum member as the green custard apples. you can see they are pretty much the same or very similar to the first thread pictures. seeds look exactly the same. so are the leaves color in real life, idk if you can tell by these pics and also the shape is similar. but of course the first one could be atemoya, 75% cherimoya, 90%, 99% or 100% cherimoya it doesn't really matter. a scam is a scam

i guess i will show you my other annonas just for the heck of it.

annona salzmannii

annona urbaniana

annona glabra

annona spinescens

soursop

« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 02:14:52 AM by digigarden »

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 02:52:26 PM »
This is the trouble with buying plants and seeds on line you don't know who you can trust. I have also bought  seeds from some of the big name sellers on this site . Never got the seeds said they were lost in mail. Be careful who you deal with.
Mike

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 03:35:00 PM »
This is the trouble with buying plants and seeds on line you don't know who you can trust. I have also bought  seeds from some of the big name sellers on this site . Never got the seeds said they were lost in mail. Be careful who you deal with.

well i have bought from all these vendors:
fruit lovers(site)
Roy-Ind
Maryoto
FlyingFoxFruits
achetadomestica
seedtalkoc
Brian laufer
Vernmented
shilohtech
farwell(site)
abimael777
BellamyTrees
goldendee95(at his ebay)
Forest House Cameroon
huertasurbanas

(not  going to mention all the ebay failures  :-\ )

All the species sold from forum members germinated and seem true. now i am currently waiting for fruit lovers poshte and huertashurbanas annonas to germinate.so overall i am very pleased with the forum sellers but this scam was @ ebay but also some eugenia stopper seeds from ebay never-rarely ever germinate. so forum members here sell fresh seeds and for good price but ebay has a lot of scams, not all of course. it's safe to buy at tradewinds,fruitlovers,farwell..just to name a few
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:41:40 PM by digigarden »

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »
Just be careful who you buy from. Scammer are everywhere.
Mike

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 04:43:38 PM »

agreed. my mistake was not researching the items as the scam has been done for at least 7 years  :(
but worry not i will ask ebay for my 40 bucks(after 3 days from contacting the vendor). the vendor said if i want a refund to send him back the seeds(but how i'm i going to send germinated seeds?) xD

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 08:59:05 AM »
Its kinda hard to see by the pictures, but the leaves do look like the ones on my cherimoya seedlings, the same broad leaves with a little sharp tip. There is variation amongs the seedlings from the same species also.
Eather way ,i think yours need way more light, they seem quite etiolated and not able to stand on their own.
Mine grown in full sun would have around twice as much leaves with the same high ,and they would get them way closer to the ground, also in a sunnier condition they get nice and fat at the base.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »
Its kinda hard to see by the pictures, but the leaves do look like the ones on my cherimoya seedlings, the same broad leaves with a little sharp tip. There is variation amongs the seedlings from the same species also.
Eather way ,i think yours need way more light, they seem quite etiolated and not able to stand on their own.
Mine grown in full sun would have around twice as much leaves with the same high ,and they would get them way closer to the ground, also in a sunnier condition they get nice and fat at the base.

i am sorry about the bad quality images because these are taken with my phone. you see i lost the digital camera's cable that takes better pics. these are recycled small root beer bottles that i use to germinate seeds but then i don't leave them @ full sun because i am afraid they will get burned, it's too sunny last few months but also the wind might knock them over. need to transplant these. but either way they are from cherimoya, to mostly cherimoya to atemoya. all in all they are not the species being "sold as" which is an awful thing to do to charge all this $

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 12:54:29 PM »
Send back any Annona seeds you can get your hands on , and mail them postage due.

agreed. my mistake was not researching the items as the scam has been done for at least 7 years  :(
but worry not i will ask ebay for my 40 bucks(after 3 days from contacting the vendor). the vendor said if i want a refund to send him back the seeds(but how i'm i going to send germinated seeds?) xD